Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Beginner Smoker Wanted
conure Offline

Beginner Smoker Wanted
Hey all, I'm new to smoking (have been participating with a friends) and I'm looking to get my own unit. If you have a good beginner smoker you are looking to unload for a reasonable price I would be interested. Thanks.
10-02-2007 03:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: Beginner Smoker Wanted
Dude, just spring about $200 for a new Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) and you are in serious tall cotton. The site at the link below is a tremendous WSM resource.

The Virtual Weber Bullet

Cheers,
John
10-02-2007 07:28 PM
Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Amazon.com has them for $199.00 and free shipping reg. price $249.00

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
10-03-2007 07:40 AM
Brian Offline

I bought my WSM's from amazon as well. As verification of their efficiency we have a few teams here in Utah who cook on them and do consistantly well in the competitions.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
10-03-2007 08:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

PackerBacker;p="6053 Wrote:Amazon.com has them for $199.00 and free shipping reg. price $249.00
The link in my post goes straight to the $199 Amazon deal. :wink:

John
10-03-2007 09:15 AM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

If you don't mind being called a Pellet pooper. Traeger smokers are great. It's a great way to start and a great way to learn. I didn't know anything about real BBQ before I bought my first Traeger. Now I can't get enough. I've even been in some comp's and won some awards. If you are interest in looking at Traeger smoker grill get in touch with Gene here on the site and he can hook you up. I would even be willing to show you mine. (Traeger that is :oops: .)I have a home model and a commercial model.
10-03-2007 08:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

First, let me say that I am definitely "old school" when it comes to cookers. While I don't think that pellet cookers are evil, or should be banned, I can't see me ever using one. The reason is that I think that a lot of what makes BBQ what it is (or should be) is fire control under natural conditions. To me, a pellet cooker is essentially an outdoor oven. The bottom line is that you set it and forget it.

Now, for a new guy, I think it's important to learn the basics the "old school way" before you move on to the convenience of a pellet cooker. I think it's akin to learning to drive. I will encourage my kids to learn on a manual transmission before they move on to an automatic with cruise control. At the very least, they will know how to drive a "stick" if the necessity arises. It may never happen, but I'll rest easier knowing that they can do it if need be.

I hope that makes sense,
John
10-03-2007 09:52 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Does old school mean a glorified charcoal grill (WSM) or a real Pit. :wink:
I've yet to see a pit that hasn't been altered to make things easier. (Electric fans, gas starters, Weed burners/charcoal starters.) Pellet smokers aren't as easy as stick burners think. You still have to adjust and tweek through the night to keep things right. I will admit that it is easier though. Whatever gets people interested in the process is alright with me. I started with a pellet smoker and it opened a whole new world for me. Who knows some day I might get a stick burner. I've sure learned a lot. And I plan to keep learning.
10-04-2007 08:52 PM
2PigsSmokinB Offline

Well as a stick burner I have to say just do it right and buy a GatorPit. That thing is like setting the temp on an oven, and you get to have a full nights sleep in peace knowing that it will take care of itself. :twisted: Just look at all the sleep Richard and I get at all of the competitions. Wake up looking fantastic and rested and ready to go. :lol: Actually it is about enjoying what you are doing. If you enjoy it then it doesn't matter what we think. Some spend $69 for a Brinkmann at Home Depot, and then some jump off the deep end and buy expensive Traegers, and stick burners. I do agree with John. If you want a good, inexpensive, and consistent cooker then the WSM is a good one. Just enjoy the process no matter what you buy. The end result is always worth the wait.
10-04-2007 09:15 PM
Unregistered

no1plumber;p="6083 Wrote:Does old school mean a glorified charcoal grill (WSM) or a real Pit. :wink: ...
Well, I certainly didn't intend to start a pissing contest, but my definition of "old school" starts and ends with a cooker, natural wood-based fuel, and a flame (match or lighter). Note that I didn't mention 110 AC, extension cords, or generators. To me the test is, can you cook without an external power source? If the lights goes out and you're hosed, I don't think you're "old school".

Again, this isn't an "us vs. them" conversation. It's just about learning to crawl before walking, and walking before running. There is nothing wrong with running, but it should come at the end of the learning curve.

John
10-04-2007 09:34 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

The choice is up to you. No one in this association will bad mouth you if your first is a $100 or a $10,000 outfit. (Though I should say some eyes would bulge at the latter.) So, that said, come up to Park City this weekend and see which outfit suits you, your budget, your wants, needs, and desires. Then flip a coin and go buy what ever you chose that was heads. ie: heads Traeger, tails WSM or heads Traeger, tails BGE. ETC. wink: It can be a tough decision.
10-05-2007 04:42 AM
Pegleg Offline

I recently purchased my second WSM and plan on getting a third. They are not too difficult at all to cook and managing the temps with. When I have more time on my hands and can do more cooking I plan on investing in a stick burner and do weekend cooks on the North end.

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
10-05-2007 06:40 AM
BBQSki Offline

I always thought it would be interesting to have a contest (assuming you had enough cooks) with different categories: pellet, charcoal, stick, and (aaackkk) even gas. Then, the winners of each would have a head-to-head challenge for the overall. I suppose the thought is that the best tasting meat, regardless of how its cooked, would win.

.....for some reason, however, I highly doubt the gasser would win!
10-05-2007 04:25 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Alright thats what I wanted to see. More than two people answering the question. I was just joking on the things I said. I was trying to stir up the conversation a little and have some fun with Patio at the same time. The Competition goes on even when were not cooking. :lol: I hope this helps you decide Conure. Going to Up to Park City and seeing them in action as Gene said is a great idea. Good luck on finding a smoker and happy smoking.
10-06-2007 08:02 AM
Swine Steward Offline

I'll have to agree with some of my fellow BBQ enthusiasts :roll: about going to a competition. Whether your goal is to compete, or create the best BBQ in your neighborhood, a local competition gives you 20 knowledgable BBQ cooks. These guys are more than willing to impart advice to a new guy. They did for me. The first competition I went to help me decide on a WSM. Some guy named Minion was very open and generous with his advice.

Second point I'd like to make is that pellet smokers put out some great BBQ, but like Patio said, walk before you can run. If the Star Idaho comp is any indication, most guys had a WSM or BDS along with the expensive rigs. If you graduate on to a Traeger, you'll always have a use for a WSM.

Just my two cents.
10-06-2007 04:27 PM
truoc444 Offline

I'm a recent WSM Convert. I cooked on them in Park City (one mine and one borrowed) and once i got it dialed in the Rain, Sleet, Wind, Even snow barely phased them. I love them. on that note Conure, i have a CharBroil Offset that i haven't used and has been left out so it's not pretty but i've turned out some good Q on that i'll give you if you want a decent Starter Cooker. PM Me and like i said i'll just give it to you if you promise to cook at least a rack of ribs a month and a brisket every other month and give it some TLC.

Southern Rootz BBQ...Because it's easier than saying I'm from Texas and only got stuck in Utah when my Car broke down
10-06-2007 08:55 PM
conure Offline

Wow thanks for all of the energetic responses and recommendations. The passion you all feel for BBQ is clearly on display and I like it! I didn't get a chance to head to PC last weekend but I understand the benefits to be gained. I think I am going to save up for the WSM b/c of all your recs and the great teaching and info available on the web re the WSM. Thanks to everyone.
10-08-2007 07:57 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

conure;p="6156 Wrote:Wow thanks for all of the energetic responses and recommendations. The passion you all feel for BBQ is clearly on display and I like it! I didn't get a chance to head to PC last weekend but I understand the benefits to be gained. I think I am going to save up for the WSM b/c of all your recs and the great teaching and info available on the web re the WSM. Thanks to everyone.

If you have the money in hand look in the sales section Gary has 1 used and 1 unused for sale at the moment,

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
10-08-2007 09:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  WANTED: Trailer mounted Smoker mjerdmann 22 4,726 09-16-2011 08:35 PM
Last Post: Larry Jacobs
  Commercial Smoker Wanted. Dutchovendude 0 902 07-06-2011 04:48 PM
Last Post: Dutchovendude