Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sagebrush & Smoke - LAST CALL!!!
truoc444 Offline

Re: Sagebrush & Smoke - LAST CALL!!!
Hoochie, Dan, Steve and anyone else i don't have a name for (oh yeah and Hoochie's Wife i know she's put up with a lot in the last little while to make this work) thanks for everything. Despite the weather and the Health Inspector showing up during my brisket turn in, I really had a good time.

Great Job Guys.

Southern Rootz BBQ...Because it's easier than saying I'm from Texas and only got stuck in Utah when my Car broke down
10-07-2007 02:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I wanted to Thank everyone for turning in such great food. I was a table captian and got to sample some great Que. A great big thanks to Hoochie and everyone who helped put such a great event together.
I wish I could have been there cooking with the rest of you. I did think about you when I was in my nice comfortable bed during the snow storm.
10-07-2007 04:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Dang look at those dudes from the Cache Valley!!! Way to go Gene and Infamous, the Skinny boys rock! Then them Cherry Peak boys go and show everyone how to do ribs... And looks like Randy from Norma Genes did all right too, way to go. It sounds like I missed a good time, sorry Hoochie that I got stuck in Las Vegas. I would sure rather have been with you guys. At least I did get some Q for my round little belly over the weekend, stopped and visited T on the way back through town. We thought about you guys at noon and then noon thirty and so on, as we sat in the nice warm restaurant wondering just how nice the weather was in Park City...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
10-07-2007 04:45 PM
2PigsSmokinB Offline

Well I am not even sure of where to start. Dr. Mike, I have to say a big thanks to you for putting this event together. A bit challenging at times, but that is what makes us all much better cooks than when we started. Richard and I are looking forward to another event next year. Steve, and Dan. THANKS. Since I started cooking, you guys got involved with BBQ in Utah, and now look at you. Two of the most standup guys out there coordinating this event was great to see. I really appreciate the dedication you have for BBQ and moving it forward. I am looking forward to getting this event in Provo off the ground and having a great time here. For all of the cooks who were there, it was great cooking with you. This has been a great year for us, and we are looking forward to more, and getting to know you all better. Yeah this cook was a bit disappointing in the fact we learned an extremely hard lesson, but I can tell you this one thing, we learned, and we will be back next year. Take care through the winter, and God bless each one of you through the rest of this year, and into next season.

Jonathan
10-07-2007 05:14 PM
Unregistered

Well, Jonathan & Richard, I know this is little "consolation" at this point in time... But I did talk to a couple of judges at the table where your ribs were... And they did say they by far were the best ribs they tasted that day... A little sharper knife next time, and you will definitely be "in there"!!!!

Thanks again so much to both of you for being there!!! It meant a lot...

Hoochie 8)
10-07-2007 06:22 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

sampson;p="6133 Wrote:Dang look at those dudes from the Cache Valley!!! Way to go Gene and Infamous, the Skinny boys rock! Then them Cherry Peak boys go and show everyone how to do ribs... And looks like Randy from Norma Genes did all right too, way to go. It sounds like I missed a good time, sorry Hoochie that I got stuck in Las Vegas. I would sure rather have been with you guys. At least I did get some Q for my round little belly over the weekend, stopped and visited T on the way back through town. We thought about you guys at noon and then noon thirty and so on, as we sat in the nice warm restaurant wondering just how nice the weather was in Park City...

Yeah, those Cache Valley Boys are definitely on a roll... And they are simply great to cook with as well!!...

No problem, Samson... I was wishing I was stuck in Las Vegas about 7 AM yesterday, too!! :wink:

We will definitely get together again some time to cook a little...

Hoochie 8)
10-07-2007 06:26 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Dr. Mike, aka Hoochie Que,
Thanks a load for putting Sagebrush & Smoke together, or like some of us said maybe Fire & Ice II would have been a better title. I was somewhat leary until I got there and set up. Then let the elements have their way. A bit of a wind break helped things come together. Made a Lil' Ol' Snowman and had fun. What more need I say.
If I owned one, I'd tip my Stetson to you, you are a great friend and a gentleman. I'm sure I speak for others, your role will be missed in The Utah BBQ Association Board.
Hey, what if we put you and Joe in for a KCBS psoition? :wink:
10-07-2007 06:51 PM
Unregistered

2 Pigs - You guys are first-class and top-notch! I fully expected to see you guys high atop the rib category, but that was sadly not the case this time out. I know that it wasn't because of your product, because you two are consistently rib kings. I don't know the back-story, but there was clearly something else at play.

In any event, I've had a great time cooking next to you guys the last two seasons. Keep bringin' that Louisiana Red Mud Rub and you guys will be in good shape. I look forward to sharing some BBQ ground with y'all next year.

God bless,
John
10-07-2007 06:53 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I echo Johns' remarks. What a couple of great men. I was cooking between them and The Sistahs, that's some top notch company for next door neighbors.
10-07-2007 07:03 PM
Unregistered

Gene;p="6138 Wrote:Dr. Mike, aka Hoochie Que,
Thanks a load for putting Sagebrush & Smoke together, or like some of us said maybe Fire & Ice II would have been a better title. I was somewhat leary until I got there and set up. Then let the elements have their way. A bit of a wind break helped things come together. Made a Lil' Ol' Snowman and had fun. What more need I say.
If I owned one, I'd tip my Stetson to you, you are a great friend and a gentleman. I'm sure I speak for others, your role will be missed in The Utah BBQ Association Board.
Hey, what if we put you and Joe in for a KCBS psoition? :wink:

Thanks, Gene... In my book, you already have that Stetson and honorary Texan status... My hat is tipped to you, sir, not only because of your excellent cooking - but because of the character you have shown to me and others when it would have been so easy to have been/acted another way (especially this weekend with your beautiful new RV, and the smoker/canopy "issue"...) You have supported things from the "git-go", Gene - and it will not be forgotten my friend... It was such a pleasure to meet your wife as well... I hope to get to visit with her a little more at future cooks when I hopefully am not running around like a chicken with it's head cut off!! :shock:

Thanks again, Gene!!!

Hoochie 8)

(And no - let's get Ed Roith back on the Board... He is being asked to run again, and I think he would be a much better qualified candidate than me for certain!!)
10-07-2007 07:11 PM
Unregistered

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Hoochie and his family as the fine BBQ neighbors that they have been to me. Mike, I can always depend on you to have a word of encouragement, good stories, and some good-natured ribbing whenever the smoke is in the air. You, Vanessa and your kids are great fun to be around. I have been honored to have you next door, and I look forward to seeing y'all again soon.

John

P.S. Keep them boys off them steers! :wink: Big Grin
10-07-2007 07:44 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

Oh wow what an event...
The weather made it interesting, the food made it good and the company made it great. I will try to keep this short, but I want to give a special thanks to Dr. Mike for a fun event. It was a great time (even with my wet, cold feet- How could I forget to pack some boots or better footwear?). I am sure you spent more hours on this then we can try to count so thank you. It was great to cook next to the sistahs and 2 pigs. I spent time with them in PG and then to cook in between them at this one was great.
I need to give a very big thanks to Gene.
(Background here)
I joined the association this summer. I have cooked BBQ in my back yard for 10+ years but I wanted to step it up. I have watched the national comps on TV for the past 4 or 5 years and I have always wanted to do that. I knew I didn't have the right grill and such to compete with and I thought this summer maybe if I got on this site I could get invited to come and see a comp. Maybe there would be someone that would be willing to give me advice on which smoker I should buy and such. Was I shocked with the amount of people that were willing to help give advice and pointers and then I all but fell off my chair when Gene e-mailed me and said, you know the best way to know what to buy and what to do is to do one of these. Do you want to do an event with me? I was never expecting an invite to actually cook on a team. So I helped Gene do an event in Logan and then we went to PG this summer. I wanted to go to Boise but I couldn't make it. And then Skinny Boys were in PC this last weekend.
Gene, my friend thanks for taking me under your wing! I have learned more about BBQ'ing in these last 4 months then I had in the past 10 years. My skills have improved a ton. Everyone has been so helpful to give pointers and advice. Gene has been such a great mentor!
So Gene, thank you and thank you to everyone out there that I have met at comps and on this site! What an awesome group of people!
Gene I hope we earn many more trophies and ribbons together- that was awesome this weekend!

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
10-07-2007 09:20 PM
Unregistered

Infamous -

It was a pleasure to meet you and cook with you as well... You guys have had a beter darn good showing the past 2 comps now... I will be looking forward to many more cooks together...

You hit a on a point that I want to touch on briefly - namely that of taking on another "student cook" and teaching them the ropes... Gene has "quietly" taken this "challenge" on this year... So has PatioDaddio with the comp up in Boise... I was on tap to do so as well here in PC until the weather and the judging situation changed things on us...

Just as is the case in life, there will always be those that won't do/give to things unless there is something in it for them... The trophies, the money, the name/prestige/power are pretty much what it is all about for them... And that is just life... I see it all the time, especially up here in the land of the rich and dysfunctional...

But then there are others out there, who aren't always in the "spotlight", who have learned that the best "rewards" in life aren't always derived from what we get - but more from what we have given... As I said earlier, "And in the end, the love we take is equal to the love we make"... My hat is certainly off to those who are quietly going about things, giving of themselves and what they know and what they have learned in order to help bring new cooks into the circle... As I mentioned to someone else earlier, our "gene pool" is going to be pretty darn limited if we are afraid to bring others in and show them how to get started with this... Maybe they will indeed get good and present a "challenge" to us at some point in time... So what??? What better complement is there than when a "student" grows to the same level (or better) as that of his/her "mentor"... Such a "challenge" by the "student" only prompts the "mentor" to work just a little harder to keep that "edge"... The bar simply rises... And there ain't anything wrong with that in my book...

Again, Infamous, congrats to both you and Gene!!

Hoochie 8)
10-07-2007 10:53 PM
Unregistered

Dr. Mike - Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

I think Diamond Dave Schultz (PackerBacker) would win the "Mentor of the Year" honors with his efforts teaching the fire fighters prior to the Star competition. Those folks clearly learned very fast. They learned from a great competitor and took home the hardware to prove it.

I will say that I truly enjoyed my mentoring experience. You learn a lot about yourself and your processes when you have to explain things in great detail to a newbie. It really makes you stop and think about why and how you do what you do. Ironically, I think I may have learned as much the student. I know it sounds strange, but it's true.

Mentor on, brothers and sisters!

John
10-07-2007 11:10 PM
Unregistered

Then caps off to Dave as well... Thanks, John, for sharing that with us...

See - some really great things going on out there - and not always in the "spotlight"...

Hoochie 8)
10-07-2007 11:16 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

What a great group of folks I've come to get to know over the past year. Actually this year starting in Hyrum. Packer Backer, Patio Daddio, Crazy Cajun, and the rest of you residing in the Gem State thanks for making you presence known.
And the rest of you here in Utah that have helped this organization come as far as it has in such a short time. I know I would miss names if I started naming, so I'll just start with the member list #1 and decend to # :?: or Z if he is the last name on the list and just say thanks to all of you. Also, those of you out there that read the posts and just sit back, git off the fence and join us, have some fun. I see so many "visitors" on line when I am, that it makes me wonder what are you all doing? Come on, get out of the shadows and step into the limelight. Also to those of you that have "joined" the Utah BBQ Association and have only posted once or twice, join in and move from the "less active" to fully active, we would love to meet you in person. And not to forget our "Southern" neighbors in Az. thanks to you also.
10-08-2007 03:42 AM
Brian Offline

I want to throw my THANK YOU, THANK YOU to Mike (HoochieQue) for all you did to pull this off. I saw you face a barrage of questions and struggles, both manmade and nature created. You met the challenges (contest related and personal) and performed well in every aspect of this test. HOORAH to you.

Steve and Dan, my hat is off to you as well. Thank you for stepping in and helping Utah BBQ as and where needed.

A big Thank You goes out to the behind the scenes folks as well. Judges, your sacrifice of time and effort to do things right is much appreciated.

Lastly, I would like to thank all the teams for struggling through everything nature had to throw at us. I realize I am not the most social person (I'm working on it), but I want all of you to know I am proud to be a member of the Utah BBQ family (you are all good people with big hearts) and delighted to see how far we have come in such a short time. We are coming out strong and will soon be well known in all BBQdom. Congrats to everyone.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
10-08-2007 07:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeff Offline

I was one of the certified judges that showed up at Sagebrush & Smoke.
What a great time! It actually worked out pretty well for me with all of the newbie judges because I got a good refresher course from Ed.
The new judges turned out to be great people who appeared to do a very good job.
This was my 5th time judging and it was definitely some of the best food I have experienced.
Great job by all of the cooks in tough conditions.
10-08-2007 07:45 AM
rjr23 Offline

2 Pigs had a great time despite the weather. Hoochie you did a great job with organizing the event. Congrats to all of the cooks!

8) Richard 8)
10-08-2007 09:15 AM
BBQMama Offline

Wow ... that was fun!!! We were commenting Saturday morning that we'd had about every type of weather that Utah has to offer thrown at us over the weekend. We definitely have a list of other "essential" equipment to bring next time ... like a HEATER!! Thanks to 2 pigs for letting us stick our noses in their tent and warm up.

I can't say enough about the work that Mike, Joel, Steve and Dan put into this. Despite the challenges of parking, health inspectors and fire marshals, this event went off like clockwork from a cook's perspective. As usual, the best part was being able to associate with great friends.

Thanks again for a fabulous end to the 2007 BBQ season. Look forward to seeing all of you next year at Hyrum!

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
10-08-2007 09:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sagebrush & Smoke '08 Guest 10 2,489 01-25-2008 02:29 PM
Last Post: BBQSki
  Sagebrush & Smoke - 2nd Call!! Guest 16 4,383 10-04-2007 06:58 PM
Last Post: saflew