Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sagebrush & Smoke - LAST CALL!!!
Unregistered

Sagebrush & Smoke - LAST CALL!!!
Okay, Gals & Guys...

Looks like we into the final stretch before the 1st Annual Sagebrush & Smoke BBQ and Chili Comp!!

Here is a long update on the event:

1) TEAMS - Well, we have been so close at times - and at other times so far away - with our team count for this event... As of early tonight, I was going to make the "surprise announcement" that we had our 15 teams that we needed in order to included in the "draw" for the Jack in 2008!!...

But due to the inability to get some RV's down on the site where this comp will be (we will be down on a brand new/nice soccer field), I also heard tonight we may end up losing 2-3 teams... :cry:

So here are the "for certains" (as far as I know):

Hoochie-Que
Hoochie-Two (a second team I will be "mentoring")
Get Q'd
Friends of Z (new team)
2 Pigs
Iron Horse BBQ
Cherry Peak BBQ
Skinny Boys BBQ
Hot Smokin' Sistahs
Norma Jean BBQ
Unknown Park City Team (??)

The "not so for certains" (as far as I know):

Q4U / Utah Smoke
Smokin' With Willie (2 teams possibly)
Team GBQ

Now, don't get me wrong... These teams are friends of mine, and I more than understand these teams that wanted to have their RV's at their cook sites... But there just wasn't a way to get these RV's down onto the field and not run the risk of damaging the field due to their weight/size...

I know that they all want to be there, too... And they are still looking at their options, and haven't given me an absolute "no" as yet... But they aren't for certain as of right now, either...

2) JUDGES - We are still short in this department as of right now as well... Steve Flewallen and his lovely wife will be heading things up with the judges, assuming the reigns from Lyle for this comp... Ed Roith from the KCBS will also be here to oversee the comp... If you are possibly interested in helping us out with judging, please drop Steve an email TODAY at: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:saflew@gmail.com">saflew@gmail.com</a><!-- e --> ... Thanks!!

3) DIRECTIONS - The Park City Ice Arena is located on Highway 248 (the "back door" to Park City) just off US 40 (the road running between Park City and Heber)...

From Salt Lake City and Areas North - Get on I-80, exit on US 40 to Heber, exit on "Exit 4" to Park City/Kamas (UT Highway 248)... Go right towards PC.... Less than 1 block past the US 40 & Highway 248 intersection, and looking to your right, take the first "driveway"/road to the right (signs will say "National Ability Center / NAC")... Follow "driveway"/road up to the Ice Arena (on your right)...

From Provo/Orem and Areas South - Take 189 to Heber... Take US 40 towards Park City... Exit on "Exit 4" to Park City/Kamas (UT Highway 248)... Go left towards PC.... Less than 1 block past the US 40 & Highway 248 intersection, and looking to your right, take the first "driveway"/road to the right (signs will say "National Ability Center / NAC")... Follow "driveway"/road up to the Ice Arena (on your right)...

Refer to the map on the Sagebrush & Smoke website (http://www.sagebrushandsmoke.com) for more info...

4) GROCERY STORES, ETC - If coming from Salt Lake City, there is an Albertsons just off the Jeremy Ranch exit, or there is a Smith's at Kimball Junction (the "main entrance" to PC)... There is also a Wal-Mart at Kimball Junction ("plain" Wal-Mart - not a "Super")... There is also a Home Depot on US 40 not far from the intersection of I-80 and US 40... I would try to bring most/all of what you need just in case, though...

5) HOTELS - If you are wanting a room while here, the best bets might be the Hampton Inn (at Kimball Junction, near the Outlet Mall - 435-645-0900) or the Holiday Inn Express (also at Kimball Junction - 435-658-1600)... There unfortunately are not any hotels along UT Highway 248 at this time... Closest one in Park City itself to the comp will be The Yarrow (435-649-7000) or the Park City Marriott on Sidewinder (435-649-2900).

6) LOAD-IN ON FRIDAY / COOK SITES - We will begin "load-in" of Friday starting at 1 PM... I will be there to help guide/assist everyone... To get your smoker and belongings to the cook sites, you will be able to "haul" things down to your site using a car, pick-up, or SUV... You can unload, and then take you car back up to the asphalt parking lots (about 50 - 100 yards away)... I certainly would try to "load- in" by 6 PM Friday night (it is beginning to get dark by then)... We will attempt to do meat "check-in" sometime between the time you "load-in" and 6 PM...

Cook sites will be 10' wide - but are now up to 20' deep due to "popular request"!!... So feel free to bring 2- 10'x10' canopies (or 1-10'x20' canopy) if you wish... Canopies must be secured at all 4 corners by some sort of heavy "weight" (sand bags, buckets of water) which you need to provide (it can get windy where we are)... If you have some sort of "ground cover" or carpet to put down inside the "floor" of your canopy, please bring it to help protect the grass field...

All smokers must be outside of all canopies, and will need to be roughly 10' away from your canopy (Fire Marshall's rule - not ours)... A fire extinquisher is also required for each team!!!

Also - please bring some sort of plywood planking or sheet metal that will fit under your firebox that will stop any hot coals/embers/ashes from hitting the ground/grass and damaging the field... THANKS!! 8)

A "3 tank" wash station will also be mandatory (soapy water, rinse water, disinfectant water)...

7) FRIDAY COOKS' MEETING - We will hold a cook's meeting up at the Ice Arena building on Friday eve at 6:30 PM (unless notified otherwise)... Ed Roith will conduct the meeting and it is mandatory for all cooks... We will be providing pizza to all cooks at this meeting... We will also have a hot coffee and hot chocolate station set-up near the cook sites on Friday night and Saturday morning... We will also provide "Egg McMuffins" and "Sausage Biscuits" to all cooks on Saturday morning at around 7 AM... 8)

8) ALCOHOL & BEHAVIOR - This event will be selling beer/wine during things on Saturday... Therefore (and I am certain there will be DABC folks running around on Saturday, along with City Police), we ask that you not be openly drinking your own adult beverages on Saturday that you brought from home... We will also be "being watched" by the organizers and community, and as an organization we need to "put our best foot forward" so that we are welcome to come back again... This doesn't mean that we can't have a good time by any means... It simply means being professional, "staying in control" while at the event, abiding by the rules, and respecting others... Thanks (you can go into PC and "paint the town red" afterwards if you wish!! :wink: )

9) ELECTRICITY, WATER, ETC... - We should have electricity where we will be at least on Friday night... However, depending on where they have to run the electric cord/cable, they may have to remove it before the "main event" begins on Saturday (11 AM), so that the public doesn't trip on it, etc... So if you feel you will need/want electricity on Saturday day, you might want to bring along a small generator just in case...

I have been told we will have a water source somewhere near where we will be cooking.... But you might want to consider bringing your own potable water just in case...

I have also been told trash receptacles will be near us... All the same, please bring a supply of heavy duty trash bags...

They are still working on what we will do with our "gray water", and I should have a little more to tell you at the cooks' meeting regarding this... PLEASE - do NOT just dump it on the ground or on the surrounding brush (we are in a protected "wetland")...

We will have a couple of galvanized trash cans there as well for ash disposal after the event...

10)"SAMPLES" - Because of our "leg work" prior to this event to show/convince the Summit County Health Department that we (the members of the KCBS/UBBQA) uphold the highest of standards with food handing, food safety, and instrument cleaning/disinfecting, we will be allowed to provide samples of our food to the public at this event (you will be asked to sign a form at the cook's meeting on Friday) with their blessing... You will not be allowed to "sell" your food - but you can provide "samples"...

Since this is a charity event to benefit underprivileged children, the event will be selling to the public "tickets" that will allow the public to taste any "sample" you wish to provide for the event (and only after the turn-in's are all finished at 1:30 PM)... Small sample "cups" or "bowls" will be provided to everyone on Friday night, along with your turn-in trays... We'd ask that you consider providing "samples" of any food you have prepared that was not turned into the judges and that you do not intend to take home yourself... You will not have to take any money - only a ticket if handed to you.... And 1 ticket = 1 sample...

This is a rather rare opportunity for the public to also "taste" your product, and there will indeed be a "People's Choice" award that the public will vote on after tasting the samples... So if you can, please make plans to "overcook" just a little to help out with this cause (and encourage/bribe folks to vote for you in the "People's Choice" voting!! :wink: )

11) TURN-IN'S & AWARDS - Turn-in's and award times will be conducted just as listed on the Sagebrush and Smoke website... http://www.sagebrushandsmoke.com

Trophies and medals will be awarded to the top 3 finishers in each of the 4 meat categories... Trophies will also be presented to the Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champ...

The following cash awards will also be "guaranteed"/ presented:

1st Place (each meat caegory) - $ 150
2nd Place (each meat category) - $100
3rd Place (each meat category) - $50

Reserve Grand Champ - $250
Grand Champion - $500

Not going to get you rich - but not too bad for a first year, either - and it will only get better next year with a good showing this year!! 8)

12) PACK-UP & CLEAN-UP - The organizers have asked that we not "bail out" right after turn-in's - and that we all stay until after the award ceremonies... (It is going to be almost impossible to "load- out" until near the end because of the crowd expected)...

We also need to be "good scouts" and leave our cook site nicer than we found it... Please - do not leave your mess for another UBBQA brother/sister to clean up after you leave... Again, please watch your ashes/hot coals/embers to avoid damaging the turf... Grease can also do a lot of damage - so bring something protective for the ground where you will be working/preparing/cooking... Again, dump your trash in the proper areas, and just don't throw your "grey water" on the ground or on some bush out in a pasture... Thanks once again...

13) WEATHER - Well, I saved this for last... I am not going to try to "sugar-coat" this... The long term forecast for Friday and Saturday ain't looking real good as of today... But I have also been watching it 1-2 x daily for the past 10 days now - and the forecast changes almost twice a day!!! Right now, they are calling for some pretty nippy weather... So - please be prepared for whatever!!! We might get lucky.... But again, we might not...

The temps and altitude are going to affect your cooking times as well... So give yourself some extra time...

We may not have some of the "heavy hitters" at this comp this year... But I guarantee you there are going to be a group of 12-15 teams walking away from this comp who are going to know they are "the real thing" after they finish his event!! 8)

I think this sets a "world record" for posts in this forum... :wink:

If you have any further questions, PM or email me... I can also be reached via my cell phone at 435-640-5268 (most of the time, huh, T??) 8)

See you Friday!!!

Mike / "Hoochie"
10-01-2007 11:44 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Brian Offline

Re: Sagebrush & Smoke - LAST CALL!!!
Mike,

I will be there. Court and I will be splitting our team and we are still planning on attending and splitting to add an extra team.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
10-02-2007 06:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Well, them's some discouraging words in your speech pard. Especially about the weather.
Is there a map someplace we can get a birds eye view of the site? Skinny Boys BBQ (not Guys) are gearing up for this. Better have insulated boots and foul weather gear to match, I'm guessing. Sad I saw KSL spouting some chance of precip Fri & Sat. Up there in the high country, PC, it could be white precip.
10-02-2007 06:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Gene;p="6026 Wrote:Well, them's some discouraging words in your speech pard. Especially about the weather.
Is there a map someplace we can get a birds eye view of the site? Skinny Boys BBQ (not Guys) are gearing up for this. Better have insulated boots and foul weather gear to match, I'm guessing. Sad I saw KSL spouting some chance of precip Fri & Sat. Up there in the high country, PC, it could be white precip.

Oops... My bad on the "Guys" and "Boys" thing... :oops:

Will work on getting some photos of the site posted... Not a lot of natural "cover" where we will be in all honesty... Pretty "exposed"... So prepared accordingly... Again. maybe we will catch a break...
10-02-2007 07:02 AM
Infamous Dave Offline

Well this should be a fun event, thanks Hoochie for putting this together. Skinny Boys are ready to go snow or sun. Worse case sceenerio we remember our Klondike Derby days as Boy Scouts and build snow caves to survive the night. Smile

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
10-02-2007 09:29 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Gene;p="6026 Wrote:Is there a map someplace we can get a birds eye view of the site?

Good luck to all, I'll be in sunny St George thinking about you!

Edited because Google doesn't know where the Ice Arena is!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
10-02-2007 11:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Actually, the address you probably found (and used) for this photo is incorrect... Sad
It is a nice photo of the Park Meadows and Prospector areas of town.. And the Racquet Club, where the "A" is in the photo...

I went to Google and found a satellite photo of the actual area, but it is dated as it does not even show this new Ice Arena facility... Just lots of goat pasture - and sagebrush, of course!! 8)

Hoochie
10-02-2007 12:43 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

The satalite pic I found on MSN maps had the soccer field but I don't think it had the Ice Arena either. The soccer field does look real nice and I can understand the concern to not ruin it.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
10-02-2007 01:20 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Oh well, I tried!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
10-02-2007 02:14 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

We are about 30 hours now from Sagebrush and Smoke up in Park City.
I can’t tell you how excited I am. This will be one that we tell stories about for years to come. Our grandkids will have to listen to us retell the story of the BBQ competition in freezing temperatures and snow coming in sideways. How we fought ice forming on the outside of the grill as we tried to keep our temperatures inside just right to produce the most succulent BBQ ever smoked in blizzard like conditions…
Well it probably won’t be that bad, but the stories retold will be. So for those of you coming up this weekend, I look forward to creating these stories with you.
The good news is that apparently we will now be up on the parking lot located close to the ice skating rink. They will keep it open for us to go in and get warm and to use the restrooms. So no one will die.
I hope everyone is still planning on attending.
Do we have a final count of teams that are participating?

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
10-04-2007 09:51 AM
BBQMama Offline

I'm starting to tell those tales of frostburn, using body warmth to help keep the cookers at temp, and peril of life, limb and EZ-Ups already! lol So even if they put us up by the arena and give us a heated tent to sleep in, I say we keep it quiet ... doesn't make for nearly as good a story.

I'm so ready to do some cooking!!!!! See y'all tomorrow afternoon.

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
10-04-2007 11:57 AM
Brian Offline

I am there for sure. My long time teammate, Court, is going to try cooking on his own as a separate team. We are both looking forward to contributing to the stories the future will hold. See ya all there.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
10-04-2007 12:20 PM
saflew Offline
KCBS Rep

Re: Sagebrush & Smoke - Judges meeting on Saturday
All Judges,

Just as a reminder to all Sagebrush & Smoke judges. The judges meeting will be at 10:00am sharp on Saturday. Judging will begin at Noon and will continue until 2:00pm. Ed Roith will be conducting the Judges meeting at this event.

There have been several previous communications with the wrong time. Sorry for the miscommunication.

-- All Judges please remember to not fraternize with any teams on turn-in day until the conclusion of judging.

10-04-2007 01:24 PM
Unregistered

Sorry for my delayed response here... Sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day... Sad Sad Sad

Sagebrush & Smoke is definitely still "on"... The weather may be just a little bit "milder" than they were projecting a couple of days ago... But make no doubt, the weather will be there starting tomorrow afternoon and through Friday night... But the "show will go on!!!"...

One of the "good" bits of news right now is that the event organizers late yesterday afternoon made the decision to move the BBQ and chili comp back up onto a large asphalt parking lot in front of the Ice Arena building (we were there originally- and then we were moved down to the grass field - and now we are back on the parking lot)... With wet, freezing weather coming, not only will this provide a "drier" surface to be on, but we will now be quite close to the Arena building... They are leaving the building open overnight where everyone can easily come get inside from the weather as needed, get a cup of coffee, etc... And they have encouraged everyone to bring a cot and/or sleeping bag if you wish and catch a "nap" inside versus out in the cold... Folks will also now be able to have their RV's close by at least until Saturday morning sometime (depending on size and available space, they may have to be moved to another parking area close by before the main event begins around 11 AM)...

As of right now, I have "hard " commitments from the following teams (money and a confirming phone call or email):

Get Q'd
Get Q'd 2 (this is "Z's" brother... they don't have a "team name" as yet)
Dragon Smoke BBQ (Brian, of "Smokin' With Willie" fame)
Southern Rootz (Court, of "Smokin' With Willie" fame)
Cherry Peak BBQ
Norma Jean's BBQ
2 Pigs
Iron Horse BBQ
Skinny Boys BBQ
Hot Smokin' Sistahs
Hoochie-Que

There is another team - "Wasatch BBQ & Chili" - that is also signed up that I know nothing about right now (I think they are a local PC team)...

So that means 12 teams right now!!... Big Grin

We are indeed in need of some more judges for the event - so if any of you out there don't want to cook, then please come help us judge!!!!... That definitely will be indoors... Big Grin

Ed Roith is still coming in, and he will begin the judges meeting/class at 10 AM on Saturday... We are shy maybe 6 judges right now of having the 24 we really need for the event... A whole bunch of gals and guys are going to be cooking their hearts out - and they deserve to have the best judges possible... So, if you are a CBJ and/or have judged in the past, we certainly would appreciate your coming out to help support us... (Meet just inside the main entrance to the Ice Arena at 10 AM, and there will be someone there to help point you to the Judges meeting... Please contact me or Steve - "saflew" - to let us know if you can come, so we can add you to our list... THANKS!!!!!!)...

Looking forward to seeing y'all there!! 8)

Hoochie (already running on fumes...) :wink:
10-04-2007 01:32 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Good luck to all the teams. I wish I was there. Weather and all.
The weather does put a damper on my plans also. It might even cancell the car tour. If so I plan on coming up to judge. We will have to see.
10-04-2007 08:55 PM
Unregistered

Thanks, Vic.... We will miss you indeed!!!

If things crap out for you with the car show, please know you are more than welcome to come help judge for certain... Thanks so much for offering to help out even if you can't make the cook..

Hoochie 8)
10-04-2007 09:52 PM
Pegleg Offline

Man it's hard to sit back and read these posts knowing I can't be up there to help. Good luck to all the teams -- it's all about you!! I may be down in the valley working but my thoughts will be with all of you!! Take care and BE SAFE!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
10-05-2007 06:59 AM
Unregistered

Thanks, Lyle, so much for the work/effort you put into this competition as well before other "obligations" came up for you... And when they did, for finding a great guy like Steve to help take your place...

We will miss you presence and smile this weekend as well... Best wishes to you also as you are getting things ready for Conference...

Hoochie 8)
10-05-2007 09:15 AM
saflew Offline
KCBS Rep

Hey, I am excited that the day is here! I look forward to working with all of you. Please contact me if you have any questions or need help at the event.

10-05-2007 09:34 AM
Unregistered

I want to extend the best to all of you that are competing and judging at S&S. I would have loved to have been there. In fact, this afternoon I was trying to think of a way to make it. I'll send up a prayer for decent weather so we don't have to rename the event to "Sagebrush, Smoke & Snow" for next year. Big Grin

God bless,
John
10-05-2007 10:38 PM
Swine Steward Offline

All S&S competitors are BBQing in conditions most of us have never dealt with. You boys are serious about BBQing if you're doing it in that weather.
10-06-2007 06:02 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

First of all we UTAH SMOKE wish we could have been there, but under the circumstances we had to pass for this year. I would like to congradulate all that got a call. The full results will be posted lated. GC Dragon Smoke [formally Smokin with Willy] RC Smokin Hot Sistah's. I have trained in harsh weather for this type of competition, and my hats off for all of the teams that dealt with the elements and I know it wasn't for the money, it was for the love of Q and a chance to be around some quality people. We have some good cooks in the state and I want each and everyone of you to know that Utah Smoke gives each and everyone of you the props that you all deserve. A job well done!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
10-06-2007 07:28 PM
Unregistered

Well, the 2007 Sagebrush & Smoke competition is now one for the books... And I think if you were to ask any
person/team that made the effort to be here, they would tell you that it was an experience that we all gained a lot from as we drove away late yesterday afternoon...

The weather delivered just about everything we expected, and perhaps a little more... The sprinkles began shortly after noon, and before the end of the contest we would see heavy downpours of rain at times... Driving winds that seemed to change direction every 15 minutes... Clear skies and shining stars at one point on Saturday night... Only to be followed by a howling, wet snow storm early Saturday morning... The "good news" was that the weather more or less lifted around 9 AM (with the exception of some cooler temps and an occasional drizzle of rain or a light snow flurry) - so we were at least blessed with some "decent" weather as we "rounded the final corner and headed for home"...

There would be other "challenges" as well... Unexpected "issues" with parking for those that brought their RV's... A health inspector who showed up to inspect the teams just shortly before we began turn-in's... A Fire Marshall who was adamant that the smokers be 10' away from the canopies... And a "big unknown", as 20 of the 24 judges we had recruited there were "newbies"...

Take all of that... Shake it all up, and toss it out - and what did we get? Well, a comp that left a smile on the faces and/or hearts of most of the people I saw as they pulled out of town yesterday afternoon... Yeah, there were some "personal disappointments" for some.... And I suppose that hurt me almost as bad as it hurt them - simply because I know these folks can cook, and can/do cook very well... But even they were walking away with a "gain" in the "chalk it up to experience" category... Make no mistake - I know those of you who did not have such a great comp (and/or great year) will be back with a "vengeance" soon!!!! 8)

We also saw 2 of our CBJ's step up big time to help run the judging for this event, along with Ed Roith from the KCBS... Steve Flewallen and Dan Kirby did an absolutely superb job in taking over and running this event when Lyle ("Pegleg") had to bow out unexpectedly... (Cooks - make certain to give Steve a BIG thanks for jumping up real early Saturday morning and helping not only deliver your breakfast that day - but for also helping pay for some of it out of his pocket as well - despite my efforts to reimburse him!! That is the kind of guy Steve is, and just a small example of the commitment he had towards all of you and this event...) And did anyone notice that we actually had the award ceremonies 30 minutes BEFORE the scheduled time???!!! When was the last time you were at a comp and saw that???!! Big Grin

And talk about commitment and friendship... On Saturday morning, just as the judging is about to begin, who do I see walking towards us along with his family? Vic ("No1Plumber") from "Hi I Que BBQ"!!! His car show was canceled due to the weather - and being a CBJ himself, he packed up his family, and drove down from the Ogden area just to come help us judge... Talk about a pal!!!... Totally unexpected... Totally awesome...

I also had to come back home after the cook's meeting Friday night to finish packing up my stuff and split a little more wood (I was so "ill-prepared" for this comp, due to things recently at work, and trying to make certain we had most of our bases covered for this event)... And there is a message on the phone recorder at home... I almost didn't listen to it, as I thought - "Oh, no... It is probably just one more "problem" I might have to deal with..." I reluctantly pushed the "Listen" button - only to hear the voice of PatioDaddio, wishing all of us well and a good/safe comp!!! Talk about going way out of your way to support your Que brothers and sisters!!! John, you will never know how much that phone message meant to me at that very moment... 8)

And the 20 new judges? Well, I think you can ask Steve or Dan or Ed... They simply rose to the top, took very seriously to heart what the were taught in a 2 hour "cram course" Ed conducted right before the judging began, and did a simply fantastic job with the judging!! And maybe I was just "deaf", but I did not hear one single complaint from any of our cooks regarding the judging/scoring that took place!!!! Again- when was the last time you have seen/heard that!!! And guess what Steve and Dan walked away with? Over 20 email addresses from "newbies" that had such a great time that they now want to become certified!!! I can't begin to count the number of these "newbies" who made it a point to come by to see me afterwards, and related to me just how much fun it had all been!!! They were also simply amazed at the quality of Que they had eaten as well (and some of these folks come from the likes of Kansas City and Memphis, and know what good Que is all about!!) I think that sometimes our organization (UBBQA) - and some of it's directors - have forgotten some of this excitement and thrill that is out there, waiting to be tapped, as people are introduced to the world of real Que... I thought that was what we were/are all about... But somewhere along the road as of late, IMHO it seems like we have begun to lose some of that due to "personal agendas"...

SO - without further ado, here are the final results of the 2007 Sagebrush & Smoke:

CHICKEN

1) Hot Smokin' Sistahs
2) Southern Rootz BBQ (Court, of "Smokin' With Willie" fame)
3) Dragon Smoke BBQ (Brian, of "Smokin' With Willie" fame)
4) Iron Horse BBQ
5) Get Q'd

PORK RIBS

1) Cherry Peak BBQ (first full comp for these guys!!)
2) Skinny Boys BBQ
3) Hoochie-Que
4) Southern Rootz BBQ
5) Get Q'd

PORK

1) Hoochie-Que
2) Iron Horse BBQ
3) Wasatch BBQ & Chili (1st time to ever compete in!!!)
4) Dragon Smoke BBQ
5) Hot Smokin' Sistahs

BRISKET

1) Skinny Boys BBQ
2) Dragon Smoke BBQ
3) Norma Jean's BBQ
4) Hot Smokin' Sistahs
5) Southern Rootz BBQ

OVERALL RANKING

1) Dragon Smoke BBQ - GRAND CHAMPION
2) Hot Smokin' Sistahs - RESERVE GRAND CHAMPION
3) Skinny Boys BBQ
4) Hoochie-Que
5) Southern Rootz BBQ

(Cash awards of $150/100/50 went to the top 3 finishers in each meat category, along with $400 to the GC and $300 to the RGC...)

If any of you want you overall ranking or position in any meat category, please email me at : <!-- e --><a href="mailto:hoochieque@gmail.com">hoochieque@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->

I only wish I could begin to find the words to convey to those of you not there the joy / thrill / excitement that filled the faces of both Brian and Carla as their names were called... It was quite a scene to see - and an experience/moment I was only too happy to be present for... A big "CONGRATULATIONS" to both Brian and Carla - and all the other top finishers - for their superb efforts!!!... BTW - both Brian and Carla were at the very far North end of where the cooks were located - and where the weather was perhaps the very harshest at times... So, maybe it isn't always about "location, location, location.." :wink:

The other thing I have been blessed to observe this year is that we are growing quite a few really good cooking teams here in Utah and Idaho... And I mean really good... The bar is definitely being raised... And even the "old dogs" have to be a little more on their toes these days... And, you know, that is a good thing - for everyone...

I can't even begin to make known my appreciation to each and every person - both cooks and judges - who made it a point to come be a big part of Sagebrush & Smoke... The timing was not "right" for so many people... The weather stunk... Yet so many of you came on, gave it your all, and made it an experience we all will remember... From the bottom of my heart, I want thank each and everyone of you - cooks, judges, Steve, Dan, Ed - all of you for your support of this event... And as well, for the personal phone calls and emails from those of you who "behind the scenes" were rooting for all us all the way...

Make no mistake - Sagebrush & Smoke will be back again next year for certain - only sanctioned, bigger, and better!!!!! (well, for certain at least in a better location in terms of parking for RV's, and early enough that we might not have to deal with any snow!! Although that was kinda fun - wasn't it??? 8) )

Finally, I am formally tendering my resignation as a member of the board of the UBBQA... Like an old fish, sometimes things need to be "thrown away" so that "fresh blood" can be brought in... This Association is full of great talent, and IMHO it is time for me to move along and let others have a chance to make it even better... I have had a wonderful 2 years, and now it is time for someone else to help take things even further... Without a doubt, I will still be around and will continue to promote further education and involvement in Que... As the old Beatles song goes, "And in the end, the love we take is equal to the love we make"...

Again, my many thanks to all of you for everything...

Hoochie 8)
10-07-2007 10:40 AM
Flexo Offline

I have to say, that I had a great time, weather and all. I spent some time with Ed and learned some great little secrets. I also learned some things about getting new contest going. Hopefully you all will see some more contest scheduled. This next year looks to be a great one for BBQ in Utah and Idaho. I do want to give a big thanks to Steve. I work with Steve and I know the effort he went to, to make sure all the cooks had a GREAT competition, and a fair competition. If you get a chance please give him a big thanks. As Steve, Ed and I saw the commitment of the newbie judges, it was clear that if they were trained, we could have some excellent judges. We walked away with a large list of very interested judges. Steve and I will work with the Utah BBQ Association to set up a judge class. We have a site in mind and will find out more next week if we can use it for a judges class. So in the off season, we want to make Utah BBQ bigger and better. I agree with Mike, that a lot of people were very impressed with the meat that was turned in. I want to say I was very impressed with the cooks commitments to help Mike out in the contest. It would have been easy to back out, but no one did. Some showed up late, but they were there. My hat goes off to everyone of the cooking teams. This shows what all of you are made of, and I think it is very commendable! I think the whole Utah BBQ Association
made huge impression on Park City, and I know we will be invited back again. I will also say this, after spending time with Ed, he was more than impressed with what we did in Park City and what the association is trying to do out west. So congratulations to everyone!

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
10-07-2007 11:05 AM
Unregistered

On a side note here, Flexo (Dan) had the opportunity to come cook with me at this comp... An opportunity that he really wanted... But when he saw that we/Steve needed more help with the judges, he selflessly put aside his own "wants" and went to where he was needed the most... Talk about a stand-up guy!!!

As I told you, Dan (and you, too, Steve) - because I know you both want to learn more about cooking - next Spring and/or the next time we get a chance to cook under a little more"ideal" of situations, I would be more than happy/proud to have you come cook with me and show you what little I know, my friends... 8)

As Dan also said - be watching for possibly a great comp coming to the Provo area this next year that he and Steve have been laying the groundwork for!!

Hoochie 8)
10-07-2007 11:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sagebrush & Smoke '08 Guest 10 2,481 01-25-2008 02:29 PM
Last Post: BBQSki
  Sagebrush & Smoke - 2nd Call!! Guest 16 4,375 10-04-2007 06:58 PM
Last Post: saflew
  CALLING ALL JUDGES FOR SAGEBRUSH & SMOKE!! Pegleg 4 1,141 10-04-2007 01:25 PM
Last Post: saflew