Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what is a good thermometer
Harliquin76 Offline

what is a good thermometer
I want to put a thermometer on my WSM but not sure if there is a difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones. can anyone point me to a good thermometer to put on my WSM? I can drill the hole just need the name brand. thanks in advance
09-12-2007 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

Check with Patio Daddio he has some on his WSM. I am not sure which ones he used.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-12-2007 02:30 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

As people chime in on Harliquin's post.. I would like to know if anyone is aware of a digital thermometer out there that can be drilled and installed just like the standard dial kind?

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
09-12-2007 02:31 PM
Flexo Offline

I looked around and this seems to be the best one. It doesn't mount like a traditional one, but it may work.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.digitalthermometers.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=434">http://www.digitalthermometers.net/inde ... ProdID=434</a><!-- m -->

Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-12-2007 03:14 PM
Harliquin76 Offline

Re: what is a good thermometer
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-4834449-9716627?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=BBQ+Remote+Thermometer+OT-03BBQ&Go.x=5&Go.y=5">http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/10 ... x=5&Go.y=5</a><!-- m -->

better price if anyone else needed one
09-12-2007 03:21 PM
Jeff Offline

Harliquin76;p="5810 Wrote:I want to put a thermometer on my WSM but not sure if there is a difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones. can anyone point me to a good thermometer to put on my WSM? I can drill the hole just need the name brand. thanks in advance

I would stay away from the cheap ones sold by Home Depot & such. They're usually not very accurate.
Tel-Tru makes good BBQ thermometers that will work great for you.
Tel-Tru web page

In case you need any advice on how & where to mount the thermometer, there's some great info on
The Virtual Weber Bullet site

You can also check on eBay for any good industrial bimetal thermometer that has the temperature range and stem length that you want. I got a good Ashcroft thermometer that way that I mounted in my WSM.

Also, if you're looking for a good digital remote thermometer, I would get the Maverick ET-73.
It has 2 probes (one for the meat & another for the cooker). You can also set high & low alarms for the meat as well as your smoker with the ET-73.
Maverick ET-73

Jeff
09-12-2007 03:34 PM
Flexo Offline

Hey Infamous I looked at that Tel-tru page and they do have a digital thermometer that you could mount. That's a better place than what I first posted.

Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-12-2007 03:40 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Traeger Has a dome Thermometer that works great. I put one on my smoker and I have had no problems with it. I would ask Gene about getting one here on the site. He's a Traeger dealer.
09-12-2007 04:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Those Tel Tru digital jobs are spendy. Just get one that has a short probe that goes thru the lid of your smoker. I can't see why one would want a thermometer that costs as much as a WSM.
09-12-2007 05:49 PM
Flexo Offline

I use a Traeger thermometer and it works just dandy. Big enough to read too!

Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-12-2007 06:06 PM