Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1st Call - Sagebrush & Smoke!!
crashpilot
Unregistered

Hoochie - I realize that it is waaaayyyy too late for any major adjustments like a date change. I still appreciate you letting me bend your ear over it.

Gene - I'm in Green River which is a mere 150 miles from Park City. Shoot, I'm closer to Park City here in Wyoming than most of Utah is. LOL
Who are you going to root when Wyoming plays Utah this year?? Wink

I'm going to write this years event off as a loss and look very closely at it next year. I hope there are photos of the event posted here on the board though..

Thanks everybody!
Powder River, let 'er buck!! Smile
08-22-2007 01:49 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: 1st Call - Sagebrush & Smoke!!
Hey Crash, Check this out.
Oldest son, graduated Utah State, now lives/works in Tampa Florida.
Middle son attends Univ. of Wyoming.
Youngest son works for -- dare I say -- BYU.
Now you wanna see a show, when BYU & Wyoming clash, those two boys are more than enough entertainment. I don't have a preference, even living in Logan, I attended a Trade School, & U.S.U. hah, not even close. Boise State 42- USU 3 November 24? 2007.
08-22-2007 02:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

It's on my calendar now, just have to decide to judge or compete!

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
08-24-2007 02:39 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Hoochie-Que;p="5351 Wrote:PackerBacker - I know you are working on getting a Boise comp put together in September... But we sure would love to have you back down here one more time this year... And I hope you will try hard to make it... We may need someone to give T a run for the money this year!! And besides, it will give you that opportunity to work on your "socializing skills" a little more... :lol:

Just out of curiousity there Hoochie, If Dave shows up, will you be using the (pre set for Dave) scoring program he has on his computer? Tongue :roll:
How is the Park City Motel 6 set up?
Sounds like a fun comp.
Joe
Slow Joe's

Hoochie 8)

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
08-24-2007 05:07 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I don't know what the layout is up there but if you need PA/Music set up, I can supply. I can also judge or table captain as needed.
08-24-2007 11:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Okay.... The "unofficial" website for Sagebrush & Smoke is now up... http://www.sagebrushandsmoke.com.... I will get the official application up on the website by sometime this weekend... So go take a look around...

We have 7 teams "unofficially" committed to the comp at this time... And a few others still "on the fence" (Flexo, etc)... We need 15 teams to hopefully be a qualifier for the Jack 2008... Ed Roith will be coming back out to run the comp... And Lyle/"Pegleg" has graciously agreed to help organize the judges...

SO - if you are still thinking about this comp, come on and jump on in!!!! It will be a small comp, and a great opportunity to see what it is all about... Park City is generally real pretty that time of year as well...

I will update the teams on the website as I have some sort of confirmation...

Hoochie 8)
08-30-2007 02:03 AM
2PigsSmokinB Offline

Mike that is a cool website. We the 2 Pigs Smokin' BBQ republic of America will be there. Can't wait.
08-30-2007 02:48 AM
Brian Offline

Update for Smokin' with Willie. We will be attending for sure. That is conference weekend and we have cooked on that weekend for 3 years now. I would hate to break tradition. Now i can keep the tradition and cook with a great bunch of friends. Can't get any better than that.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
08-30-2007 05:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pegleg Offline

That is just GREAT :x, it wasn't until Brian mentioned the words "Conference Weekend" that I realized when it really was. Being the church employee I am, this boy along with my pal Arden (Agent 99 to T) are responsible for all of telecommunications and network links here which puts us right in the middle of it all. About the only smoke I could hope to be around that weekend is if I drive by some farmer burning his grain stubble field. Hooch, I am still planning on organizing the judges and have already gotten some e-mails, I'll come up on Friday and spend some time -- man, it really is hard to stay away from events like this, I'll be in touch.

Lyle
08-30-2007 11:36 AM
truoc444 Offline

Come on Lyle conference is twice a year. you can call in sick right?..Hoochie can't wait for it.

Court

Southern Rootz BBQ...Because it's easier than saying I'm from Texas and only got stuck in Utah when my Car broke down
08-31-2007 10:35 AM
Unregistered

truoc444;p="5625 Wrote:Come on Lyle conference is twice a year. you can call in sick right?..Hoochie can't wait for it.

Court

I am with Court on this one, Lyle.. You have the chance 2X a year for Conference... You only have the chance once a year for "Sagebrush & Smoke"!! Besides - you probably ahve heard it all before... LOL!!!! 8)

I more than understand, my friend... Whatever you can do to help in coordinating the judges will be greatly appreciated...

BTW - last I heard, Gene was possibly looking for a cookin' buddy for this comp... He will bring his Traeger, just needs some help doing the rest.... Anyone who might have some interest might want to PM him about the possibility (hope I am not putting words in your mouth, Gene!! :shock: )
08-31-2007 06:33 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

"Mmmm BBQ" H. Simpson.
No problem Hoochie. Infamous Dave is jumping on board for P.G. and we'll see what develops from that.
09-01-2007 12:07 AM
Unregistered

OK, Ladies and Gents...

The Sagebrush and Smoke website (http://www.sagebrushandsmoke.com) has pretty much been completed, and you can now download your application in the "Application" section (you must have the Adobe Acrobat reader installed on your computer to read/print the application... if you can't figure that out, email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:hoochieque@gmail.com">hoochieque@gmail.com</a><!-- e --> and I will send you one in MS Word)...

The BBQ comp will be strictly conducted/judged according to KCBS rules and regs... If you plan to compete in the chili contest as well (and we would hope you will), it will be conducted/judged roughly according to the Chili Appreciation Society International (CASI) rules/regs (meaning they will follow the basic rules as laid out in the CASI rule book - but they probably won't have CASI certified judges this year)...

We are seriously seeking to make this a "qualifier" for the Jack in 2008... In order for this to happen, we must:

1) have a Governor's Declaration for the event (which we have applied for);
2) have at least 15 teams that cook all four (4) meat categories (we have 7-8 teams right now);
3) have some "credibility" in the organization and judging (we have Lyle and Ed Roith helping us there)

SO - right now, we need to get the word out and get another 8-10 teams here... So spread the word, and point them to the website or this thread here!!! And those of you who have indicated interest, please download your form and get them mailed ASAP!!

Thanks so much!!

Hoochie 8)
09-03-2007 12:43 AM
Brian Offline

Has the team count changed yet? I am hoping we can get enough teams to make this a qualifier. If conference is an issue keeping anyone home, sign up and bring a radio. That way you can still hear what you need. The video version doesn't hold a lot of surprises anyway.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
09-05-2007 05:35 AM
Flexo Offline

Our team was thinking about cooking in this one, but I will be missing 2 of the 3 members, so I will have to be a judge.

Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-05-2007 08:05 AM
BBQMama Offline

Oh, come on ... I've cooked by myself before when my team members weren't available. You'll miss all the fun if you just hang out in the judges tent. 8)

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
09-05-2007 08:18 AM
Flexo Offline

I know I should go it alone, but I am too scared!

Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-05-2007 08:57 AM
Unregistered

You know, I think sometimes folks get to thinking - "A comp... Hmmm... That sure sounds like some fun... But again, you know, I have never done that before... And some of these gals/guys are pretty good from what I hear... And if I enter, I'll probably get look like an idiot or get laughed at and feel like a fool... So - I think I had better pass..."

I guess the thing that I would like to pass along here is that there are indeed comps like the Jack - The Royal - maybe even some of the state championships - where things indeed can/do get a little more serious...

But then there are comps like we had in Hyrum earlier this year... And the one coming up in Boise that Dave/Packerbacker and Jim Monihan are helping to put together... And the one here in Park City in October... that are a far cry from the more "serious" comps...

Excuse me for perhaps putting words into Gene's or Dave's or Jim's mouths here... But I think I am correct when I say these comps - the Hyrum or Boise or PC comps - are rather "low key", and are truly geared towards fellowship, learning, and having a good time with others who enjoy smoking Que... They are a LOT more about having FUN and getting out to meet others and learning from each other more than anything else... Trust me - ain't nobody going to laugh or make fun of anyone at these kinds of comps... And if anything, you are going to see the likes of T and Family - or Jonathan and Richard from 2Pigs - or the PackerBacker himself - or Carla from Smokin' Hot Sistahs - or Vic from Hi I Que - or Z and April from Get Q'd - or Brian and Court from Smokin' With Willie - or Patio Daddio - or numerous others walking around, there to answer questions and/or to help you in any way possible...

I think most who ever enter a comp this will tell you they continue to do it NOT for the $$ or the "hardware".. But mostly because of the experience itself, the fun they have, and what they learn each and every time they do it...

And as was evidenced just a couple of weeks ago, I am the perfect example that on any given day, you just might get lucky/hot - and well, look what can happen!! :wink: You just never know...

SO - if you are toying with the idea of showing up for either the Boise or PC comps - but aren't feeling real "confident" about yourself and/or your skills when it comes to Que - hey, loosen up a little bit!! Quit worrying so much... Come to either/both of these end of the year comps, have a ton of fun, enjoy the fellowship, and learn a lot...

Trust me, you will never regret it... 8)

Hoochie
09-05-2007 09:38 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Ya, what he said. Just do it!!!
09-05-2007 12:03 PM
Pegleg Offline

Dan,
You just sent me an e-mail requesting to be a judge, I already sent you a reply. How can you judge and cook at the same time -- isn't that a conflict of some sorts? Tongue Keep us informed as to what you decide, it would be good to see you cooking though!!

Lyle
09-05-2007 01:18 PM
Brian Offline

You have it exactly right Hoochie. I was in the group stating I did not have what it takes to compete. T, Becci, Tyson and a few others talked long and hard to convince me to come and play. When I finally made the leap I wished I had done it sooner. The BBQ family is tight here and very helpful to those who are new. I am not so experienced that I don't ask more questions than I give answers. I will help as needed, and if I know the answer I will certainly share what little I know. You are also right in saying (I am paraphrasing) "Every dog has his day." Sometimes, awards come when you least expect it.

I second Mike's welcome to anyone entertaining the thought of coming out to play in this playground. It has been a great experience I would not trade away.

Thanks to all those who talked me into this and who still support me to this day.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
09-05-2007 02:45 PM
Brian Offline

Does anyone have the current team count for this event? I have been talking it up in the attempt to get us enough teams to qualify for the Jack

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
09-06-2007 08:00 AM
Unregistered

Hey, Brian...

Has been a little "quiet" on the team count... Basically the 7-8 teams that I originally posted are the ones so far... I think Gene is going to try to put a team together... I have been out "beating the bushes" on The Smoke Ring, the WBBQA, the Rockey Mountain BBQ Assoc, and the Arizona BBQ websites, too... I will "push" to get a little more definite a count by the end of this weekend... Not any Idaho teams so far... Sad

(BTW - got your PM and will give you a call later today)

Hoochie
09-06-2007 10:58 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Trust me Hoochie I am working it! We fly back to PackerLand the end of the following week, so I can't say yet that i will make it over Sad

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
09-06-2007 12:33 PM
Unregistered

Dave, brother, man I more than realize you have an awful lot going on these days!!! I know you will try to make it if you can... I was just simply noting the absence of any teams for Idaho so far... I know this comp is towards the end of "season", and may be interfering with hunting, etc... And that I understand as well... Just hoping to see a few teams from up above drop back down just 1 more time this season, though...

And, as always, it would be great to see your smiling face again, Dave, before the snow begins to fly... 8)

Hoochie
09-06-2007 02:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sagebrush & Smoke '08 Guest 10 2,481 01-25-2008 02:29 PM
Last Post: BBQSki
  Sagebrush & Smoke - LAST CALL!!! Guest 45 10,008 10-08-2007 09:33 AM
Last Post: BBQMama
  Sagebrush & Smoke - 2nd Call!! Guest 16 4,369 10-04-2007 06:58 PM
Last Post: saflew