Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1st Call - Sagebrush & Smoke!!
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Re: 1st Call - Sagebrush & Smoke!!
You know, after winning the peoples choice chili cook-off last year in South Jordan, I was thinking about entering the chili contest.....that is until I read the 32 pages of rules! I don't even know what kind of costume to wear for the judges and as far as doing an original dance number in front of our decorated booth....wo nelly!
Just kidding....but really, 32 pages, imagine those rules at the BBQ contest.
Call me when you figure out your sound needs.
599-4433
09-10-2007 10:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

32 pages?! Are you serious? If so, that is simply insane. In 32 pages you could describe how to plant the cattle feed, raise the cattle, slaughter them by Kosher rules, prep and cook the chili, judge it and clean up afterward. :shock: :wink:

John
09-10-2007 10:51 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

PatioDaddio;p="5755 Wrote:32 pages?! Are you serious? If so, that is simply insane. In 32 pages you could describe how to plant the cattle feed, raise the cattle, slaughter them by Kosher rules, prep and cook the chili, judge it and clean up afterward. :shock: :wink: John

Hey, Larry and John...

You got to love those CASI rules, huh, John?! And you just thought the KCBS was "picky"... LOL!! :lol:

No, this contest will NOT closely adhere to all 33 pages of the CASI rules... But we will probably stick to them "in spirit" - simply because last year a yellow duck chili by some foo-foo chef won the contest!! Now - I suppose chili can certainly be made out of duck... but yellow??? Chili ain't yellow. folks.... And it ain't got rice and okra in it, either (another entry)... Frank Tolbert - who is legendary in Texas for his chili and was one of the founders of the famous Terlingua chili cook-off (which to this day is still the "Jack" or "American Royal" for chili) - I am certain was rolling in his grave last year with a yellow duck chili taking 1st place!!

Of course, this is Park City - so I guess I shouldn't have been all that surprised, either... :wink:

Larry, if you or anyone else is contemplating the chili at this comp, just briefly review the rules, show up with fresh ingredients/meats that are being held at safe/proper temps, cook everything there on site, use proper/safe sanitation and temp guidelines, and you will be fine... If you want to decorate your space/booth and/or want to wear something funny, so much the better... Chili cook-offs are mean to be kinda festive/crazy (at least they are in Texas), and it only adds to the spirit and fun of things... BBQ comps are "immune" from this kind of behavior, either, if you have ever seen any photos/video of the MIM contest (talk about a "Disneyland of BBQ"!!!)... But decorations or a costume are not a "have to" (there will be awards for best decorations/theme, though)...

I just wouldn't plan on turning a chili in that is yellow this year... :roll: But if you have a knack for cooking chili, please don't stay away from this fun event because you don't want to decorate your booth or wear something funny... No dance required, either.. :lol:

Larry, I will get back with you regarding the sound stuff in the next 24 hours.... Thanks so much!!
09-11-2007 02:27 AM
Unregistered

Hoochie-Que;p="5757 Wrote:
PatioDaddio;p="5755 Wrote:32 pages?! Are you serious? If so, that is simply insane. In 32 pages you could describe how to plant the cattle feed, raise the cattle, slaughter them by Kosher rules, prep and cook the chili, judge it and clean up afterward. :shock: :wink: John

Hey, Larry and John...

You got to love those CASI rules, huh, John?! And you just thought the KCBS was "picky"... LOL!! :lol:

No, this contest will NOT closely adhere to all 32 pages of the CASI rules... But we will probably stick to them "in spirit" - simply because last year a yellow duck chili by some foo-foo chef won the contest!! Now - I suppose chili can certainly be made out of duck... but yellow??? Chili ain't yellow. folks.... And it ain't got rice and okra in it, either (another entry)... Frank Tolbert - who is legendary in Texas for his chili and was one of the founders of the famous Terlingua chili cook-off (which to this day is still the "Jack" or "American Royal" for chili) - I am certain was rolling in his grave last year with a yellow duck chili taking 1st place!!

Of course, this is Park City - so I guess I shouldn't have been all that surprised, either... :wink:

Larry, if you or anyone else is contemplating the chili at this comp, just briefly review the rules, show up with fresh ingredients/meats that are being held at safe/proper temps, cook everything there on site, use proper/safe sanitation and temp guidelines, and you will be fine... If you want to decorate your space/booth and/or want to wear something funny, so much the better... Chili cook-offs are meant to be kinda festive/crazy (at least they are in Texas), and it only adds to the spirit and fun of things... BBQ comps are not "immune" from this kind of behavior, either, if you have ever seen any photos/video of the MIM contest (talk about a "Disneyland of BBQ"!!!)... Most of the BBQ and chili comps I have been to up around here, though, have been just a tad "stiff" at times... A little too "intense" or serious... We are indeed looking to have just a little more fun/craziness at this event... Maybe take some of the "edge" and emphasis off of winning, and get a little more fun back into the picture... Again, that is part of Park City, too - and that is something that is good about PC!! But decorations or a costume are definitely not a "have to" (however, there will be awards for best decorations/theme, though!!)...

I just wouldn't plan on turning a chili in that is yellow this year... :roll: But if you have a knack for cooking chili, please don't stay away from this fun event because you don't want to decorate your booth or want to wear something funny/crazy... No dance required, either.. :lol:

Larry, I will get back with you regarding the sound stuff in the next 24 hours.... Thanks so much!!
09-11-2007 02:46 AM
Unregistered

Okay.... I have been doing a little thinking today... Which I will admit could be just a little dangerous... :wink:

I got to thinking that there might be some folks out there that might want to cook at a contest - but might be a little afraid to "jump in" because they feel they don't have all the equipment right now - or maybe don't think they would know what to do - or maybe you don't have a "partner" - or whatever...

So here is what I would like to offer to any of you who might fit into that category... I have had a pretty darn good/fun time this year - and I would like to give some of this experience back!!... So here is what I would like to offer...

I would be willing to take on 2 folks (guys or gals - makes no difference to me), and be your "guide" / mentor at the Sagebrush and Smoke this year... I will pay the entry fee... I will bring in my Diamond Plate Fat 50 (aka "Black Betty"), filled with pecan and oak wood... I will bring in the meat and rubs and all additional equipment... And I will guide/"mentor" you through your very first comp!! I will show you how to start and operate a real live "stick burner"... How to prepare/rub meat... How to plan your "schedule" for when to put meats on and when to take them off... How to tend a fire through the night... I will guide you through final preparations the next morning and your very first "turn-ins"... And hey, if we win any cash, I will split it evenly with you (I, however, would like to hang on to any "hardware" - trophies, medals, etc - if we were to be so fortunate)... I'll even toss in a free Hoochie-Que t-shirt (I have S thru XL - sorry, no XXL)....

Your "obligation" in return? Simply that you will commit to be there from Friday afternoon until after the award ceremony and clean-up / break-down on Saturday, you will try to work as a team, you won't fart/snore, and you will lay off the booze pretty much (not asking entirely - just that it be kept to a real dull "roar") until we are done with turn-ins and clean-up...

NOW - just how easy was that to jump into your very first comp?!!

Will I share all of my "secrets" (all 1-2 of them)? No... Will you get the opportunity to do this again with me? Maybe/maybe not... Will you get a "hands-on" look/ taste of what cooking in a comp is about without costing you a dime? You betcha... Will we have a lot of fun? You better believe it...

I have a couple of patients that will jump on this offer in a heart-beat... But I am going to offer it up here in our forum first... SO - "first come, first serve"... You have until this Friday night (9/14) at 11:59 PM to let me know... After that, I call a couple of my patients who are dying to come do this with me...

PM me if you are interested and/or have more questions...

Hoochie 8)
09-11-2007 07:41 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I'll echo that for Hoochie, let him pay, and you learn. What could be better. Besides, a better feller you be hard pressed to meet. A real live Texan :!: :!:
If someone wants to help out me & Infamous Dave we'll show you how to start a Traeger smoker/grill. I gar-own-tee it ain't as hard as a stick burner. :lol:
09-11-2007 09:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Gene;p="5786 Wrote:I'll echo that for Hoochie, let him pay, and you learn. What could be better. Besides, a better feller you be hard pressed to meet. A real live Texan :!: :!:
If someone wants to help out me & Infamous Dave we'll show you how to start a Traeger smoker/grill. I gar-own-tee it ain't as hard as a stick burner. :lol:

Not going to get any argument from me there, Gene.... No argument at all!! In fact, I think you and Vic (Hi I Que) probably get some of the best sleep at these comps of anyone I know!! There are some definite "upsides" to the Traegers!!

If you don't know what we are talking about, make certain to catch Gene and his "Skinny Boys" team up in Boise next weekend or here in PC in October... Great folks and great smokers...

Gene could definitely qualify as an "adopted" Texan, too!! 8)
09-11-2007 09:47 PM
Flexo Offline

I sent a PM let me know if you didn't get it

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-11-2007 10:11 PM
Unregistered

That is a serious no-brainer deal that Hoochie has offered up! Opportunities like this are about as rare as a pain-free dentist. Big Grin A couple folks are going to get a huge dose of great experience and a real leg-up on their first competition.

John

P.S. Have you seen this guy's scores from this year's Rock'n Ribs?!
09-11-2007 10:27 PM
Unregistered

Okay, folks... Flexo is "in"... I only have 1 more spot open... Better hurry!! 8)
09-11-2007 10:37 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

Geez Gene,
Bringing somone else onto our team? What do you want 8 hours of sleep this competition? Wink

Sounds good to me, the only critera is they have to have the physique to be on the Skinny Boys team Smile!! j/k

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
09-12-2007 08:27 AM
2PigsSmokinB Offline

Geez Hoocie. That is so nice of you. You can't find a better person than Dan to help out. And what a way for Dan to jump into competing learning from a very consistent cook.
09-12-2007 08:48 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Yep, full figured, that's Skinny Boys BBQ :!: "Never Trust A Skinny Cook" author unknown, to me anyway.
09-12-2007 08:54 AM
Brian Offline

Way to go Hoochie. I can't think of a better way to get others involved.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
09-12-2007 10:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Harliquin76 Offline

I am not sure if this is has been asked i was skimming over the other post. With the kansas city BBQ rules it says you have to cook 4 different meats. what are we required to cook for this comp?
09-12-2007 02:37 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

That would be pork ribs, pork, most usually do a butt, chicken, and beef brisket.
09-12-2007 02:42 PM
Harliquin76 Offline

thats the problem with us small time cooks , I don't have the surface area to cook that much stuff lol. anyone got room on a team that would have me? I will be bringing the tv and the football games Smile
09-12-2007 03:02 PM
Flexo Offline

Hoochie Q is offering to mentor 2 people. I am going to take advantage of his offer, so I think he is still looking for one more. Look at his post earlier in this thread. He does a fantastic job and I plan on learning a lot from him. It is very awesome he has decided to do this. Plus you will make friends with a very nice cook!

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-12-2007 03:34 PM
Unregistered

Well, we now have our 2 "newbie" cooks for Sagebrush & Smoke - Flexo and Sampson!! I am proud you "stepped up" - and I am glad to have you guys on-board!!

I don't know that I truly know that much... Heck, there are quite a few others around this forum that easily eclipse me with their knowledge... But what I will show you is that "YES -you, too, can do this!" - and not necessarily end up DAL!! :wink:

For those of you who didn't read about my "offer" in time - and/or were slow to "pull the trigger" - I'll look at doing this a time or two again next season... So don't get discouraged if you missed out this time around... Maybe some other local teams will do some of the same next year... And if it means anything to you - or tells you anything - I am planning to "go wash dishes" myself for another team from Oklahoma next season... I ain't too proud... This is how a LOT of us learn more about Que!! 8)
09-12-2007 06:52 PM
crashpilot
Unregistered

Oh my goodness.. You miss a couple of days in this forum and you miss a LOT..

Hoochie, I'd like to volunteer for first alternate. If for some goofy reason life dictates that either Flexo or Sampson are unable to attend you won't have to go through the entire process of selecting another.

I've learned my lesson.. LOL
09-14-2007 11:20 AM
Unregistered

Hyrum was my first comp. and I told myself that I would try to attend one more this season (dirt poor). Park City should be beautifil this time of year, and you just can't beat good company.....Count me in!!!!!
09-14-2007 05:50 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hey Cherry Peak, welcome to the site. That wasn't so hard now, was it? Big Grin Don't be such a stranger. Do you think Randy, (Norma Jeans' BBQ) would make the trip too? We need some more C V folks in the fray. I'll call him on Sat.
Gene
09-14-2007 10:04 PM
Unregistered

CHERRY PEAK BBQ;p="5849 Wrote:Hyrum was my first comp. and I told myself that I would try to attend one more this season (dirt poor). Park City should be beautifil this time of year, and you just can't beat good company.....Count me in!!!!!

Hey, guys!!!

Great to hear from you!!!! And even better to hear that you will join us here in PC in October!! We are thrilled to have you at yet another event this year!!!! Seems if I remember right, you guys did some killer brisket (we cooked right next to each other)...

As Gene said, if you remember/know others who were at Hyrum that might not know about thsi contest, please give them a call and/or point them to this forum and thread.... THANKS!!!

Looking forward to seeing you here in a few weeks!!

Hoochie 8)
09-15-2007 08:16 AM
Brian Offline

I contacted the folks who ran the Worland competition and asked them to spread the word about our upcoming event to the local teams there in Wyoming. Hope this helps.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
09-19-2007 10:25 AM
Brian Offline

I know we are soon approaching D-day for this event. Hochie do you have an update for us on the number of teams you have? I will keep turning over the rocks and stumps to find us more teams.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
09-21-2007 11:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sagebrush & Smoke '08 Guest 10 2,488 01-25-2008 02:29 PM
Last Post: BBQSki
  Sagebrush & Smoke - LAST CALL!!! Guest 45 10,025 10-08-2007 09:33 AM
Last Post: BBQMama
  Sagebrush & Smoke - 2nd Call!! Guest 16 4,383 10-04-2007 06:58 PM
Last Post: saflew