Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1st Call - Sagebrush & Smoke!!
Unregistered

1st Call - Sagebrush & Smoke!!
Okay, folks... Looks like a BBQ comp in Park City is finally a done deal!!!!

"Sagebrush & Smoke" will be the name of the event to be held October 5-6, 2007, in conjunction with the "Fall Family Fest" at the new Park City Ice Arena / Sports Complex... This is the 2nd year for the Fall Family Fest, which is an event hosted by Utah Winter Games and the Youth WinterSport Alliance to promote awareness of /participation in winter sports activities for the youth here in the Rockies (skiing - racing, free style, ice skating, luge, x-country skiing, etc), along with raising scholarship monies for underprivileged children to be able to also participate in the many winter sports sctivities we have here in Utah. The event last year was well attended, and this year's event promises even more for the entire family.

This contest will be limited to 15 BBQ teams this year (due to space)... We are seeking a Governor's Declaration for the event (our petition has already been submitted), I have been in contact with Ed Roith to come out to conduct and judge the event as if it were a KCBS event (it won't be sanctioned this year), and we will be seeking to have this event deemed a qualifier for the Jack (in 2008 - we will be too late for 2007)!!! There will also be cash prizes awarded (still being determined)... There will also be a chili cook-off component in case you want to be a part of that as well... And I, along with one of the organizers for the event, will be meeting with the health department this Friday to seek approval to allow the competing teams the ability to let the public "sample their efforts" and hopefully have a "People's Choice" award as well... There will also be a booth decoration contest with this event (the organizers saw a YouTube video I had of the Memphis in May contest, got all fired up, and they would like to see something like that someday - but in a scaled-down version)... The event will feature music and lots of other activities/exhibitions/festivities to boot (this will very much be a family event)...

I am reviewing the final revision of the application - and as soon as I have completed looking things over, I will post a link for the application here in UBBQA Forum if I can figure out how to do it (if somebody knows how to do this, please PM or email me!! Thanks!!)

SO - mark your calendars NOW, and make plans to join us here in Park City on October 5-6 to enjoy the Fall colors, a beautiful setting, and some great Que fellowship!!!! (Giving me some idea of your plans to be here as soon as possible would also be greatly appreciated... Drop me an email or make a post to this thread)

Also - please make certain to pass along word about this contest to others as well if you would (Gene, I know there were some teams at the event up in Logan that have not been around this Board very often... Do you have contact information on them possibly? Also, this might be a nice trip for those Arizona & Idaho boys... After all, after they walk away empty handed from the RNR this year, I figure they will be looking for another chance to get to the Jack!! :lol: )

Looking forward to seeing you here in Park City on Oct 5-6!!!

Hoochie 8)
08-14-2007 05:46 PM
Quote this message in a reply
2PigsSmokinB Offline

Hoochie, that sounds like a great time. We will plan on being there.
08-14-2007 09:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Re: 1st Call - Sagebrush & Smoke!!
I also have the wheels in motion! I hope to also make this one.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
08-14-2007 09:55 PM
elkski Offline

Thats the duck opener...You guys need to look at the hunting proclamations if you want me to show up!!
My dog would eat me smoke or not.!

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
08-14-2007 10:18 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

You can count on Q4U's UTAH SMOKE being there. Maybe the last cook for the year would not miss it even if my Raiders were playing that night right Richard? Mike call me.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
08-14-2007 10:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

2 Pigs & T - thanks for your support!! (T - PM or email me your cell phone number - I have lost it.... Thanks)

PackerBacker - I know you are working on getting a Boise comp put together in September... But we sure would love to have you back down here one more time this year... And I hope you will try hard to make it... We may need someone to give T a run for the money this year!! And besides, it will give you that opportunity to work on your "socializing skills" a little more... :lol: I think this event is going to get some pretty serious media coverage, and this will be yet another great opportunity for our Association this year to grab some solid exposure... So we could sure use a strong turnout (hint, hint, Dave)... I also have a patient who has ties with ESPN, and he has expressed a lot of interest in what we are doing - so who knows where that may take things (he produces/directs unique "special interest" programs for ESPN...)

Elkski - what are we going to do with you, son?! I figure ducks will still be flying the weekend after Sagebrush & Smoke, won't they? And as to your dog? Well, can't you just tell him/her a little white lie about the real opening date just this one time???

Hoochie 8)
08-14-2007 11:32 PM
rjr23 Offline

2 Pigs will definitely be there. T, you are right wouldn't miss this even if the RAIDERS were playing. I will just have to Tivo the game.
08-15-2007 08:02 AM
BBQMama Offline

The Sistahs will be there. we've already got our condo booked for that weekend so we can relax after the comp and look at all those pretty trophies we brought home. Big Grin

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
08-15-2007 08:56 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

BBQMama;p="5353 Wrote:The Sistahs will be there. we've already got our condo booked for that weekend so we can relax after the comp and look at all those pretty trophies we brought home. Big Grin

Its only been four days Sista, and the SMACK talk has already started! :wink: What condo Carla?

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
08-15-2007 11:13 AM
BBQMama Offline

Staying at Westgate I think?? Did I forget to mention that we have to sit through the timeshare presentation? lol

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
08-15-2007 11:31 AM
Unregistered

Carla -

Always happy to have the Sistahs in the house!!! Looking forward to having you here...

We are working on some "housing options" for those of you who might want to make a nice weekend out of this... Will try to have some details by early next week...

Hoochie 8)
08-15-2007 11:50 AM
elkski Offline

Did you say housing at a place with a ducky private pond?

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
08-15-2007 12:36 PM
Pegleg Offline

Randy,

For you that would be the kiddie pool behind your camper!! Tongue

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
08-15-2007 01:44 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Hoochie,

What's the elevation at the location?

Just curious...

-joe

Get your smoke on...
08-15-2007 03:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Joe -

Because of the high altitude, most of us here in Park City have learned to live/work with oxygen masks on... However, the really healthy folks can get by with just a nasal canula, though... LOL!!! :wink:

The altitude at the ice arena will be roughly 6400 ft (the tops of the mountains around here are at about 10,000 feet for comparative reference)... A little higher than SLC I will grant you... But we are still a far cry from being in the "nose bleed section"... When several of us were all up here a year ago this Spring for a "get together" , I don't recall anyone struggling with their cooking or with their smokers... Compared to cooking "down in the valley" (SLC is at around 4300 feet), I have noticed I do use just a little more wood up here during a longer cook (brisket. butts), and cooking time may increase by about an hour on brisket/butts - but that is about it... No big deal...

Definitely a far cry from some of those comps in Colorado!!... :shock:

Hoochie 8)
08-15-2007 09:35 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

I'll actually be in KC for the Royal that weekend, so I won't be able to make it! Darn! I'll support you any way I can, though, Hoochie.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
08-16-2007 07:40 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Dr. Mike,
Like the Four Tops sang in one of their tunes, "I'll be there".
Gene
08-19-2007 05:27 PM
Unregistered

Hey, Gene...

I know we are real close in age... So why is it you remember that song being done by The 4 Tops - and I remember it being done by The Jackson 5 (with a pre-surgical Michael Jackson)? 8)

We'll be looking forward to having you here in PC in October!! Although I hope to see you sooner (i.e., this weekend at the RNR)... Have passed by your neck of the woods several times as of late (have had a kid at a camp up in Island park, ID - have been up there and back 3 times in the past several weeks - once to drop him off, once to come watch him riding in a rodeo, and once to pick him up)... But have always been in a hurry coming and going, and I-15 was the quickest way back home... But sure thought more than once about "detouring" through Logan to see you, and to catch a change of scenery...
08-20-2007 11:35 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I don't know about the tune thing. Just remember a lot of the lyrics and sometimes the artists. Mikey was in the 4 Tops? I didn't know that! I never paid much attention to the performers or their life styles, etc, still don't. Just liked the tunes.
I asked the wife if she'd compete with me. A two letter word was the answer. Starts with N. Bad taste from the DO days. BBQ comps are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much different but same answer. I sent an e-mail to Infamous Dave to see if he'd be interested in hooking up with a Traeger owner/operator.
As for a swing thru Logan, darn yur hide, ya should have. I'll be down Saturday for R&R. Judging again.
08-20-2007 12:53 PM
BBQUte Offline

I love Park City in October. Stickhead and the Ironhorse are planning on this one.
08-20-2007 05:04 PM
Brian Offline

Count Smokin' with Willy as a maybe right now. I am working on getting the Friday off work so I can attend.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
08-22-2007 06:06 AM
crashpilot
Unregistered

Hoochie,

Will this event be the first weekend in October every year? For us Wyoming folks that seriously conflicts with hunting season. Once word spreads, you might see more spectators/participants from Wyoming if it wasn't right smack in the middle of the first week of rifle season.

I'm in the middle of a conundrum right now and I'm afraid that hunting will probably win. Sad

Any advice?
08-22-2007 08:46 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Crash Pilot,
Elk or deer season? If it's deer as many of them as you guys have, whack it the second weekend. Elk, now that's a tough decision. A mere coin toss wouldn't be fair either. Where in Wy. do you reside? I have a son living in Laramie, ("Go Pokes") going to school. Had to toss in the cheer for him. His wife is from Cody.
Gene
08-22-2007 09:11 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

BBQUte;p="5424 Wrote:I love Park City in October. Stickhead and the Ironhorse are planning on this one.

Are you going to make the Sept. comp. over here??

Later
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
08-22-2007 10:06 AM
Unregistered

Crash -

Man, I wished I knew about the date... This indeed is the 2nd year for the event (1st year to do a BBQ comp - they did hold a chili cook-off last year, and will again this year, too), and they held it the same weekend as last year... I kinda jumped on the "coat tails" of this event since it minimized effort on my part in securing a good location and having to arrange for / organize all the other "collateral events" (music, adult beverages, exhibits, etc) to go along with the comp... I can certainly "petition" to have them move it up a little earlier next year...

Another possibility is to "be on our own" next year - but that is indeed a much bigger production for certain... I think "going out on our own" would depend on a lot on what we see take place this year in terms of participation, interest, etc... Comps need sponsors to fly financially... Sponsors want to see lots of people there... People want to have lots of reasons to be there... Watching a cook stoke a fire or adding a little charcoal/lump to a smoker doesn't hold a lot of interest for very long for most folks unfortunately (I know it does for a lot of us who read this Forum... But we aren't "everybody", either... LOL!!)

Where am I going with all of this? Basically, having a comp associated with an event helps things a lot... Doesn't mean you have to - but it sure does help... If we have good participation/attendance/interest this year, it makes it a whole lot easier for me to "pitch" to the chairman of possibly another event that is held at a different time next year if we find this October date doesn't work well for a lot of teams...

But we kinda need to look good this year for certain - or nobody may want us next year... 8)

I know it is opening day in both Colorado as well as Wyoming... As Gene said, if you are hunting something that opening day can make a big difference with, then get after it and best of luck!! If it is something you can just as easily hunt 2-3-4 weeks from then - well, then at least give us a little thought regarding being here...

Thanks... 8)
08-22-2007 11:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sagebrush & Smoke '08 Guest 10 2,481 01-25-2008 02:29 PM
Last Post: BBQSki
  Sagebrush & Smoke - LAST CALL!!! Guest 45 10,013 10-08-2007 09:33 AM
Last Post: BBQMama
  Sagebrush & Smoke - 2nd Call!! Guest 16 4,372 10-04-2007 06:58 PM
Last Post: saflew