Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brisket
Tayster Offline

Brisket
I've decided to expand my horizons a bit and do some brisket.

I'm not going to lie, I'm terrified because I have no idea what I'm doing. I know that I need some serious time to cook it - which is part of the reason I have never done it before - but how much time on the smoker will I need to make a decent brisket?

Also any other tips you might offer would be appreciated.

If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!
07-09-2007 07:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Brisket
A rule of thumb is 1 hour per # in the 210-225 range, on my Traeger anyway. I'd maybe try the flats first in lieu of the whole brisket, weigh less = less time. I'd smoke it for 4 hours then, sorry Hoochie, I don't know where this term came from, maybe from some Oki, Texas crutch it. (Wrap it in foil) to finish it off. They can dry out as there isn't a lot of fat in them. At least the ones I get. The whole brisket is a different beast.
07-09-2007 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tayster Offline

Thanks for the tips, Gene. When you say wrap it in foil after four hours to finish it off, how long does it need to cook in the foil?

Also, I know that pork butts can take a lot of smoke and not taste like a smoker's kiss, but I've heard that brisket is not as forgiving. Is that true? Should I cut back the chunks for brisket to one or two?

07-10-2007 08:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gumbo Offline

If this is your first brisket, I'd recommend cooking a whole packer rather than just a flat. The flat is lean and is easy to dry out. Here's a foolproof way to turn out a great first brisket:

1. Apply rub
2. Cook to 120 - 140 fat-side up, then flip to fat-side down.
3. Cook to 165, then foil. Return to smoker fat-side up.
4. Cook until the flat is 190. Then separate point from flat.
4a. Put foiled flat in a warm cooler to rest.
4b. Put point back in smoker for another couple hours.
5. Cube point for burnt ends or chop.
6. Slice flat cross grain.

You may also want to google scrutchfield brisket and try his recipe and technique. After you get a few under your belt you'll be able to start making adjustment to the above procedure.

Good luck.
07-11-2007 07:13 AM
Gumbo Offline

I forgot to address time: You can put a brisket in the night before and cook all night at 200. Then adjust the temp in the morning as needed to get it done. Or start it early in the morning. Remember that a brisket benefits immensley from a 1-4+ hour rest in a warm cooler. So if the brisket is done at noon, great. Let it rest foiled in the cooler until dinner time.
07-11-2007 07:17 AM
Tayster Offline

Awesome, thanks for the help Gumbo. I'll make sure I post how it turned out.

07-11-2007 08:03 AM