Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fire Water & Ice BBQ & Dutch Oven Challenge
T Offline
Posting Freak

Fire Water & Ice BBQ & Dutch Oven Challenge
If all of you have been itchin to cook as I have well man let's get ur done. Around a year ago after we did the Sam's Club competition where those of you that judged met my good friend Chad Rutledge. I proposed to him the idea of Sam's sponsoring a major cook off. Well he is no longer with Sam's, but he opted along with another two friends Jason Badell and Debbie Brown to help make this happen. The whole thing is like a dream come true. The facility is primo and already in place. I attended a meeting last week where the proposal was made, and people came on board. I went to another meeting today and the whole thing is now in stone. A special thanks to Steve Cook who is a great guy and is the Festival Director stepped up and offered the facility, thanks again Steve. We will continue to keep you informed on the progress, and to let you know about the entry fee and registration and more details. August 10,11 are the dates and no joke guy's it's a go. KCBS rules apply. 10,000 people attend this event yearly and it's the ninth year. There will also be a Dutch Oven Competition as well, I have already asked Roger B. to head up that part of the competition. The Dutch Oven portion will consist of no more than 15 teams as requested by Roger. The first 15 registered will be able to play. The BBQ teams have no limit. Spread the word and let's make it happen big. Next year this event will be sanctioned. I will continue to do some ground work as far as the organizing as we get things close I will turn it over to Joe, because I gotta cook!!! The prize money is still being worked on, but I'll tell you this, it will be substantial! <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://kopfc.com/Pages/SpecialIndexPages/FireWaterIce.html">http://kopfc.com/Pages/SpecialIndexPage ... erIce.html</a><!-- m -->

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
06-12-2007 10:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Crazy Cajun Offline

Re: Fire Water & Ice BBQ & Dutch Oven Challenge
Hey T,
Sounds great. Count me and the family in on the fun! Guess I better start practicing now!
See you soon

Kevin

Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler
Certified KCBS Judge
06-13-2007 07:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Sounds Great T!!! I will rally the "SPUD HEADS" up, for that "Run Across that there Boarder", grab some hardware and scoot back, before ya all knew what happened :shock:

Its all about "Smack" my friends,......... just "Smack 8)

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
06-13-2007 10:49 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Dave, this is not smack this time you are going to have to cook your buns off because it will be a defferent game my friend unlike Hyrum. You remember what happened after the Boise cook, when you went to the next cook? You know as well as I do it can be anybodys day. Tyson said to me today "Dad why you got your game face on and what's on your mind" need I say more, I got some chicken on now my friend. Get those Idaho boys down if you can this is going to be great for BBQ my friend. I am going to go up to the venue shortly to take a few pictures and I will post them later. Yo Dave, the sauce is so good the crew is sponcering todays chicken cook. Hurry up and get that thing handled that we spoke about the other night. Gotta have me a little dose of daily Dave.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
06-13-2007 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

All in fun T! WE know that :wink: I myself will need to sharpen up, as I am going, as we all are, up against the MASTER.

I will have that new phone thursday

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
06-13-2007 12:49 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Looks like I'm gonna need some more time off in AugustBig Grin Already have off 12th thru 21st with 1/2 days the rest of the month not to mention the Montana cook.
Dave, hate to do this to ya but I may have to take this one from ya :wink:
Look forward to more info.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
06-13-2007 04:09 PM
Unregistered

I have talked with T a time or two over the past few days about this event, and I think it has the potential to be a real barn-burner... Mucho mucho kudos, T, for bringing this to the plate for all of us in this area!!!!! 8)

The Fire, Water & Ice event has already been taking place for the past 8-9 years now (I think I am correct on that), and draws real solid crowds already... A Que comp is definitely going to make it just that much better.... From what I understand, there is going to be some real solid $$$ for the event this year... And if it comes off well this year, it could be a real serious show with dead serious $$$ next year... Yeeee hawwww!!!

But we have to get out and support it well to make this happen... Whether we cook or judge or help out or just show up to be in attendance - we need to give this our time and effort... If you have been "lurking" around on this site, but have yet to attend a competition and/or want to learn a little more about Que, you are now going to have the chance to attend a couple of superb Que events in SLC in August... SO - mark your calendars now and make certain to come out and meet everyone and learn a little and have a great time with a great group of people!!!!

Thanks again, T, for helping make this happen... Count me in to be there for certain!! 8)
06-13-2007 05:42 PM
Quote this message in a reply
2PigsSmokinB Offline

T, leave it to you to bring the magic. Can't wait for this to come around. After talking to you yesterday, I know this will be a great event for all of us. Thanks for making it happen.
06-13-2007 06:25 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Reel good stuff there guys! As I have said to T, You are the Master my Man 8) And if there is ANYTHING I can do to help all of us out and promote BBQ in the great state of Utah, such as vending meat, ie. sandwich sales, or god forbid, turn the Green an Gold to BLA BLA and Silver :shock: ( I had a hard time with that one,sorry) :lol: Let me know, I am here and will turn up the volume for this one Big Grin

Personaly, I think its great, way to go T! I am pumped for this one and so is Momma :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
06-13-2007 07:39 PM
Pegleg Offline

Way to pull it off T!!!!

My wife and I and the girls are SO there!! You and Joe have my phone number and it's on 24/7, let me know what we can do to help. We'll plaster posters all over Ogden and everywhere in between!! What's even better is my school semester ends the week before so the whole month of August will be nothin' but BBQ.

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
06-13-2007 09:49 PM
Pegleg Offline

No Message
Oops, wireless fouled up, sorry.
06-13-2007 09:50 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo guys, Thanks for your kind words and great response. The Festival already has there vendors in place including a BBQ Vendor - Yo Mama's BBQ. We will be checking with the Health Department to see if some of the cooks can prepare extra donated meat to vend samples by a charity group. We also want to have a V.I.P Hospitality area to honor the sponsors and treat them to some Championship BBQ. I will need some cooks for that? As things progress as I said I will keep you all in the loop. Get out there and shout it out about the event and lets make it happen. Took some pictures of the venue today as promised.

This is looking West at the Olympic Ice Rink
[Image: 2002787444025148423_fs.jpg]
This is the the area where we will set up for the comp and there is plenty of room to grow.
[Image: 2002757899640535871_fs.jpg]
This is the large pool area.
[Image: 2002787081911875292_fs.jpg]
[Image: 2002766293235128450_fs.jpg]
This is the second to the largest bucket in the country, the kids love to Waite for it to fill with water then it empties on them.
[Image: 2002718912101984856_fs.jpg]
[Image: 2002768072521433198_fs.jpg]
[Image: 2002766824464102922_fs.jpg]
[Image: 2002747835968973834_fs.jpg]
[Image: 2002733809399774214_fs.jpg]
[Image: 2002744561077897401_fs.jpg]
As you can see there is plenty of space. Power will be an issue for us any connections on a donation of a big generator? I have the grease and ash disposal handled. Any help is appreciated. Get some sleep Dave.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

06-13-2007 11:00 PM
Unregistered

Yo T, this event isn't sponsored by the Red Cross, is it? :-) I kid, of course. I will check with The Mistress of Acts and Deeds (my wife) ;-) to see if we can fit this in. My daughters were looking forward to Boise and R&R. However, we know what happened to Boise, and the R&R is the weekend before school starts, so that's a no-go for them (not me). This might just scratch the itch.

It looks like I might be making three trips to the SLC area in August.

John

P.S. I'm in SoCal (Ventura) this week on vacation. I bought my father-in-law a 22" Weber kettle (so I can use it when I'm here). I cooked two picnics on it today for my nephew's HS graduation party. Well, as luck would have it, that might just be the best PP I've ever cooked.
06-14-2007 12:36 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

T, how large of a generator ya think we need? The Pellet Heads need to speak up, so there wont be any disapointments on game day :wink:

Have a good Friday everyone, and an even better weekend! Hey T??? Do you have "Arnold" tied down on the rig yet? NAAAH. only 7:28 am, you are just gett'n that "Sun-tan oil" on him so he don't burn, let him know the high temp today will be a steady 250*, with a slight breeze through the vent hole :lol: :lol:

Ya Ya, I know, I can just hear ya now, " Dave, get a JOB!!!! :roll:

Later

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
06-15-2007 07:31 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Dave, the piggy is in the riggy. Been busy as heck with everything, should have some more paticulars on the event soon. We need enough power for the pellet heads and night lights. I have a 6500 kw generator, don't know if it will handle the load. I guess we will get some chatter out of the pellet heads when the entry fee is posted along with the prise money. Have a great Fathers Day guys. Post some pictures of your cooks. Whatever you do have fun!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

06-15-2007 12:41 PM
Unregistered

I have a small Honda EU 2000 generator that can help a few more besides me perhaps - but it won't carry a ton of folks...

Not to take away from the Fire, Water & Ice and R&R events - but as of today, it looks like an event in Park City in the Fall is a definite go-go-go!! Will put up more details later this weekend - but I'd be looking at my calendar around the 1st weekend in October!!!!... 8)
06-15-2007 12:49 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Hoochie, The more competitions the merrier. You know everyone has been waiting for this so if we can make it happen let the smoke blow where it may!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

06-15-2007 02:19 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Right on Hoochie, As the song goes, "I be East bound an down, loaded up and truck'n" 8)

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
06-15-2007 02:51 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

I really want to put a couple of cents in here and give credit where credit's due.

T speaks true, and has had this in the works for quite some time, and even though I've already thanked him for stepping up and making this happen I wanted to take a minute and thank him, and a couple of you others out there like Gene, Sampson, Hoochie, and Lyle for getting busy and building the momentum of the Association.

So from me to you all, thank you for your activity in my absence!

-joe

Get your smoke on...
06-15-2007 03:18 PM
Unregistered

Way good to see you, Joe!!!!! 8)
06-15-2007 05:42 PM
Pegleg Offline

Hoochie-Que;p="4902 Wrote:I have a small Honda EU 2000 generator that can help a few more besides me perhaps -but it won't carry a ton of folks...8)
I have a Coleman Powermate 1800 generator that I can add to the mix as well, it's a pretty quiet unit.

As for you Joe, thanks for the compliments and your welcome ---- but this association wouldn't be where it's at if it wasn't for you. Big Grin We are all looking forward to rubbing shoulders with you again at the compeitions, If there is anything you need just say the word!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
06-15-2007 05:42 PM
2PigsSmokinB Offline

T I have a Honda 1800 watt generator that is quiet and could help out. If you need it just let me know.
06-15-2007 09:40 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

This rookie is so freakin' there!!! Been out of town all week and look at all the excitement I miss whilst I'm gone. Hey Dave, since you need to pass this way on the trip home, do you think I can get a little help hauling the hardware back here to Logan???

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
06-15-2007 10:51 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Anything for you my friend! 8) Hey didnt you have a pork samich deal going? you were asking about portions a while back? How did it go?

Later
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
06-16-2007 05:53 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Sampson, I thought you'd split the scene and gone to where old truckers go, ah, isn't that the same as where sinners go? Oh, one in the same, I get it now. J K.
If it wasn't for them cats in them big rigs most of us'd be darn skinny and hungry also. Don't bad mouth a trucker OR a farmer with food on your plate, or in your mouth.
You dropping by the Gardners Market today? I'm there with some Q'd up P.P. and a dutch oven demo as a quiet side note. I want to bring Q to the fore front.
06-16-2007 06:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dutch Oven "U" Larry Jacobs 3 1,272 03-07-2011 01:16 PM
Last Post: bud-wie-ser
  Fire Water & Ice Venue WOW!! PackerBacker 6 1,838 08-04-2007 11:27 AM
Last Post: Pegleg