Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ever use aspen?
crashpilot
Unregistered

Ever use aspen?
Went camping last weekend and brought home some aspen wood that I intend on cutting and splitting to use in my cooker. Has anybody ever tried low & slow with aspen? Did you have any luck with it?
06-11-2007 09:54 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Pegleg Offline

Re: Ever use aspen?
Crash,
Welcome to the UBBQA!! I personally have never used aspen and not sure how it would taste -- it's a pretty soft wood. Here is a link to the FAQ's I got from bbqsearch.com, on types of wood to smoke with, it's not comprehensive but has some good info -- aspen is not listed there but it might answer some of your questions about it. Wood For Smoking

By the way, where in Wyoming do you live?

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
06-11-2007 10:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Chewing on aspen bark will help aleviate a headache, anyone ever seen a beaver with a migrain? :wink:
In a smoker?, yuk. There was a guy burning some at R&R two years ago and it stunk. Remember him T?
06-11-2007 05:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Welcome, Crash...

About the only place I have ever heard of someone suggesting the use of aspen to cook/smoke with was on a website for some wood company in CO that was selling/hawking aspen wood to be used for smoking foods... Personally, I think they were smokin' something funny themselves (and when I say "smokin' ", I ain't meaning that they were cooking Que, either)... Some of that "Wacky Tobacky" or banana peels or cowpies or something along those lines... Anyways, I'd stay clear to aspen for smoke food with... Depending on where your are in Wyoming, you should be able to come across some oak and/or some fruitwood of some sort up there (apple, cherry, etc) that should be a whole lot better than aspen!! 8)
06-11-2007 10:36 PM
crashpilot
Unregistered

I suppose the biggest obstacle is that I wouldn’t recognize an oak tree if it was standing on my foot. I know we have a lot of cottonwoods here and I’ve just sorta assumed that every big tree with leaves is a cottonwood. Where are the oak trees in Wyoming? I’m in Rock Springs, are they in SW Wyoming? Nahhhhh… That would be too good to be true.
06-12-2007 05:11 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

crashpilot;p="4872 Wrote:I suppose the biggest obstacle is that I wouldn’t recognize an oak tree if it was standing on my foot. I know we have a lot of cottonwoods here and I’ve just sorta assumed that every big tree with leaves is a cottonwood. Where are the oak trees in Wyoming? I’m in Rock Springs, are they in SW Wyoming? Nahhhhh… That would be too good to be true.

Check this site out <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/idit.htm">http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/idit.htm</a><!-- m --> it helps work out what the trees are.

The nearest common supply of oak appears to be in the Southeastern tip of Nebraska.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
06-12-2007 05:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

SoEzzy;p="4873 Wrote:Check this site out <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/idit.htm">http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/idit.htm</a><!-- m --> it helps work out what the trees are.
The nearest common supply of oak appears to be in the Southeastern tip of Nebraska.

Well, I know if you are looking to cut your own, oak is available in certain areas of southern Colorado... As the crow flies, I would think that might be a little closer than the SE corner of Huskerland... Maybe not... I like pecan personally, and I am looking at a "road trip" myself probably down to Phoenix this summer to load up on some...

If you are not adverse to buying it already cut, you might want to consider a trip to SLC and buying some from Standard Wood... And of course you can always buy it online, but shipping can get a little pricey...

You have some BBQ Brethren there in Wyoming I know... There is a KCBS sanctioned contest in Worland in early August... You might make contact with the organizers and see where some of those guys/gals are getting their wood...
06-12-2007 09:18 PM
crashpilot
Unregistered

Thanks for the tree ID tool.. I have a new toy! Smile

Hoochie, I have already made plans to attend the Worland cook off and I'm already really looking forward to it.

I called Standard wood and the prices really aren't that steep and apparently there is usually wood available there. Next time I'm in SLC, I plan on stopping by.

Would you be interested in doing some horse trading for some of that pecan wood? I think that pecan and brisket are like peas/carrots, peanut butter/jelly, lemon/aid, jack/coke.. You get the idea. If you accidentally bring back some extra I would certainly help lightening your load.

Thanks everybody!!
06-13-2007 05:40 PM