Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2007 IDAHO STATE BBQ CHAMPIONSHIPS
Cyclops Offline

2007 IDAHO STATE BBQ CHAMPIONSHIPS
I am sorry, and regretful, that I have to announce that the 2007 Idaho State BBQ Championships has been cancelled. The event sponsor, The American Red Cross, was unable to acquire enough funding in order to pay for the event. I realize that many of you were really looking forward to this event as it looked like it was destined to be something special. There have been a flurry of phone calls and meetings to explore an alternative but the time frame has become so short that it is not realistic to expect that the whole process can be brought to fruition in such a short time.
Refunds of registration fees will start next Tuesday 5-29-07. I apologize to those of you who have made travel plans as I know juggling your summer commitments can be tough. We are committed to insure that next year will bring the re-birth of this competition with an equally commited sponsorship and an even better competition.

Jim Monihan
WBBQA VP
05-25-2007 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: 2007 IDAHO STATE BBQ CHAMPIONSHIPS
Well, to mimic my 12 year old son - "that sucks!!!"

What else can we do on that date possibly (and where)? Let's try to find a way to still turn this into something... May be too late to do a sanctioned deal - but soemthing else possibly of value/merit to everyone???

Let's get to talking here, guys/gals!!
05-25-2007 11:29 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Nuts, I was already droolin' waiting to be on the recieving side of the Judges table. Sad
05-25-2007 12:32 PM
Unregistered

I know you and the WBBQA undoubtedly did all you could, Jim, but that really, really sucks! Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

Is there any chance of getting a secondary sponsor, kind of like I think Albertson's was last year, to join in and split the funding? I can't help but think that some company out there might be interested in getting their name on the event.

Just my $0.02,
John
05-25-2007 02:27 PM
Unregistered

What about someone like The Larry Miller Auto Group and/or a local radio station (J-105/KIZN 92)? It might be a great advertising vehicle for them. Throw in a backyard category, and give away a car, and you've got serious potential. I can see it now, "Come put your heat to the meat with J-105!"

I know you've probably explored many possibilitites. I'm digggin' deep here.

John

P.S. If I win the lottery tomorrow, I'll kick in $250K. Smile
05-25-2007 02:32 PM
Unregistered

Jim - If all else fails, how big of a pain would it be to take the Idaho championship "underground" and do it as an unsanctioned pay-to-play event, similar to a poker tournament -- like last weekend in Utah? I know we'd need a venue, so I thought about the Simplot Sports Complex on the east side. I live near it, and I think it might be just this side of ideal.

I'm thinking that a $100 entry fee might make it just interesting enough to attract some serious competition. Hell, I would even be willing to pay the standard $175 entry fee.

Just more thoughts,
John

P.S. Speaking of Simplot, I think they are still in the meat business and might even help out a little. Smile
05-25-2007 10:49 PM
Unregistered

I know this may not be much consolation at this time, but I am in discussions with an organizer regarding a BBQ comp here in Park City that is due to be held in early October... The "main event" (a charity raiser for Winter Sports programs) was successfully held last year in the Fall, and included a chili cook-off last year - and this year they are seriously looking at adding a Que comp as well... Things are looking good for that at this time, but to keep good mojo on things, I won't elaborate any further at this time... HOWEVER - in light of the series of events that have taken place regarding the Idaho comp, I have contacted the organizer regarding possibly looking at moving the BBQ comp portion of things up - say to the weekend before the 4th of July and/or possibly to July3-4... No way that we could get this KCBS sanctioned at this time (I wouldn't think - unless someone knows how to work those kind of miracles)... But it might fill a "hole" in the Que schedule for those of us in the area of the world.... At this time, I would think it would be along the lines of the event in Logan, maybe with a little more (music, etc)... Question is, would everyone/anyone (cooks, vendors, etc) support something like this IF we can get the other ducks in place? I realize this means asking the Idaho brothers/sisters to make yet another trip here to Utah to compete... And personally, there is this part of me that would like to go to Idaho...

Any comments/feedback?
05-26-2007 09:17 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Bummer 'bout Idaho. I've been gearing up and gettin' ready... so I'm all for doing something, somewhere soon. Park City sounds cool to me, let me know Hoochie what I can do to help...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
05-26-2007 08:58 PM
Unregistered

Daddio is completely down with some Park City action, if the scheduling works out.

Hey, I just thought of something. Will they let us drive trucks in Park City? I don't have a BMW, Mercedes or Lexus to haul my stuff. :lol:

Go Hoochie, go!

John
05-26-2007 09:35 PM
Unregistered

PatioDaddio;p="4745 Wrote:Hey, I just thought of something. Will they let us drive trucks in Park City? I don't have a BMW, Mercedes or Lexus to haul my stuff. :lol:

John

Uhhh... Daddio...

Those are the kinds of cars the kids drive to high school up here... Mommy and Daddy don't want their little darlin's having to "slum it" in a Chevy or Toyota, don't cha know...

What are Mommy and Daddy driving these days up here in fashionable PC? Try on a Lamborghini or a Ferrari or a Porsche 911 GT3 for size...

In a La-La Land, where 10,000 sq feet homes for a mere $7 million dollars are considered "reasonable" and spoken of as "a good buy" without having to take much of a breath to utter those words, I sometimes wonder what the H#&@ I am doing living here... :shock:

Actually, there are quite a few pretty darn nice and down to earth folks living here that have as much fun as I do pokin' fun at some of the "rich & dysfunctional" who now reside here... And a lot of them drive trucks, BTW... And the good news is that most of these "normal folks" really like Que!! They will more than welcome an event up here (the "rich & dysfunctional" will, too - and you will be able to tell who they are, as they will be the ones struggling with whether to lick their fingers or wipe their hands on their Armani...) :wink:

So come on with your trucks... You are more than welcome here... 8)
05-26-2007 09:58 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Sounds like a good time in Park city. We could even have a smoked caviar catagory. :wink: Talking about vehicals Hoochie you where going to send me some info on your Tractor. Do they alow John Deer green up there.
05-28-2007 10:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BBdoesQ Offline

Is there enough clean air that will not cost to much that we can make smell great with the smoke? :lol: PC would be a great event. Can we plan on having two events in July. Look at my post Can we Help? I think the more chance to Q the better. Just need dates to get off work.

Enjoy the view of the homes oops mansions in PC Hoocie

BBdoesQ

Most people don't understand :?
KCBS Certified Judge
05-29-2007 09:53 PM