Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rib Shortcut
Tayster Offline

Rib Shortcut
I know that this may seem extremely sacreligious to most of you here, but I need to make some ribs on the smoker and I don't have a lot of time to do it.

This is for a family function on Sunday - meaning that nobody is going to be judging my ribs for any prize - so I don't need them to be competition style ribs, just nice and edible.

Are there any shortcuts to cut the smoking time down? I know some people boil them to cut some time, but I was wondering if I could put them on low in the oven for a bit before smoking them or something.

If that doesn't work, how do ribs taste if I smoke them the day before? I have plenty of time on Saturday to smoke them, so could I do that?

If I did decide to do that, how would I go about warming them up prior to serving?

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated.

If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!
05-22-2007 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: Rib Shortcut
Do it the day before if at all possible... Most pork dishes cook/store/reheat pretty darn nicely IMHO... Since you are ffeding the next day, no need to freeze overnight on something like this...

Before reheating, wrap in foil (maybe add just a little apple juice in the foil as well to help maintain some moisture - but not absolutely necessary), and warm in oven set at 225 for maybe 1 hour...

Par-boiling ribs before smoking is going to turn out a very "so-so" product IMHO...

If you run out of time the day before, smoke the ribs the day of for maybe 2 1/2 hours, remove and wrap in foil, and put in oven at 250-265 for another 2 hours, then remove and let "rest" for upwards of an hour before serving... Not the best this way, but definitely better than boiling...

Best wishes....
05-22-2007 02:32 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Tayster Offline

Hoochie, you rock. Thanks.

Should I cook the ribs all the way on Saturday? I mean, if I'm putting them in the oven on Sunday after cooking them through on Saturday, will it cook them some more or just warm them up for serving?

05-22-2007 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

I'd go ahead and pretty much cook them all the way... And then just warm/re-heat to serve... Yeah, they are going to "cook" a little as you reheat, but pork handles it well... Again, add just a little apple juice to the foil before reheating if you are concerned about them possibly drying out... I did a group of 250+ not long ago, and did them that way, and folks were more than pleased...

If you only have 1-2 racks to reheat, you can work with a lower temp to reheat (say, 200 degrees) if you are concerned about overcooking them...

I use what you will hear referred to as a "3-2-1" method with my ribs... 3 hours on the smoker (at around 225-250), then wrap and place back on the smoker for 2 hours, then unwrap and back ont he smoker for 1 hour... I will actually shorten the "2 " and the "1" by about 30 minutes each... But I get some very nice ribs that way...
05-22-2007 03:41 PM
Unregistered

When wrapping for reheating, I would highly recommend wrapping with plastic wrap before the foil. This helps keep all the moisture in and it avoids any possibility of the foil reacting to the rub or sauce. The plastic wrap will not melt if you keep the temperature below about 250*.

Just a tip,
John
05-22-2007 05:11 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Tayster,
Here's what works for me. If you have a vacuum sealer, cook the ribs, seal em and when it come's time to reheat, drop em in a pot of H2O and put the heat to it. When it hits boiling, remove from heat, don't let em sit and boil, slice open the bag and serve. You will notice the differance but your guests won't. I just finished packing 6 racks about 15 minutes ago like this.
If you don't have a sealer, Hoochie and Patiodaddio's way works great, only I might add a little honey to the apple juice.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
05-22-2007 06:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Tayster, What are you cooking on, what is your time from start to finish? Why do you feel you need to pre cook?

Just wondering :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
05-22-2007 07:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

SlowJoes;p="4679 Wrote:...If you don't have a sealer, Hoochie and Patiodaddio's way works great, only I might add a little honey to the apple juice.
I wholeheartedly agree with adding additional moisture. In fact, it's a good thing to do no matter what you're reheating. When reheating, steam is your friend. :-)

John
05-22-2007 11:11 PM
Tayster Offline

Thanks to all of you for your help. I will try everything, except for the vacuum packing. I don't have one of those yet.

Packer - My brother-in-law just graduated from SLU med school, so we're throwing him a little party on Sunday. The problem is, I have quite a few meetings on Sunday and only a two hour window which I don't think would be significant time for my Brinkmann to do the job. (And since he lived in St. Louis for four years, he's a little snobby about BBQ. Big Grin )

I think I'll just do it Saturday while I cook beer butt chicken for my brother and his wife on my Weber and reheat the ribs on Sunday.

Thanks again for all your help.

p.s. Packer, we're having Wisconsin days here at my work today. (My boss is from Wisconsin and is a huge Packer fan.) We're going to be having brats and they've asked us all to wear Packer colors...so I'm wearing my Steelers jersey. :wink:

05-23-2007 06:57 AM