Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spring Training Results
Pegleg Offline

Spring Training Results
A million kudos to Gene, Sampson, and Packerbacker for a GREAT spring training event!!!! From what I could gather the Parks and Recreation were very positive with the outcome and request a repeat for next year -- maybe we could work at getting it sanctioned.

Due to a problem with the printer on site at Hyrum Reservoir we were unable to provide hard copies of the individual results to each BBQ team. If you would like a detailed copy of your judging scores please either contact me via private message through this website (pegleg) or e-mail me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:earlld@ldschurch.org">earlld@ldschurch.org</a><!-- e --> with your e-mail or snail mail address and I will get a copy to you. It was great to meet and work with everyone this weekend.

Lyle & Dlaina Earl

Below are the team names and where they placed in each catagory

Grand Champion: PackerBacker
Grand Reserve: Hoochie Q

Get Qued: Chicken 7, Ribs 2, Pork 7, Brisket 9

Hoochie Q: Chicken 6, Ribs 4, Pork 1, Brisket 7

Iron Horse: Chicken 5, Ribs 3, Pork 9, Brisket 2

Smokin' Hot Sistas: Chicken 8, Ribs 8, Pork 6, Brisket 8

Crazy Cajun: Chicken 3, Ribs 5, Pork 10, Brisket 11

Smokin' Burtons: Chicken 4, Ribs 6, Pork 3, Brisket 4

Norma Jeans BBQ: Chicken 1, Ribs 7, Pork 5, Brisket 6

Pig Me Up: Chicken 10, Ribs 9, Pork 4, Brisket 10

HI I Que: Chicken 9, Ribs 10, Pork 8, Brisket 3

Packer Backer: Chicken 2, Ribs 1, Pork 2, Brisket 4

Cherry Peak BBQ: Ribs 11, Brisket 1

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
05-19-2007 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BBdoesQ Offline

Re: Spring Training Results
I also want to thank Gene, Sampson, and Packerbacker for a great first comp. Had a great time. Ready for the next one. Big Grin

By the way what date did we finlly set for the R&R.

Thanks again,
BBdoesQ (Brett)

Most people don't understand :?
KCBS Certified Judge
05-19-2007 09:50 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Thanks it was a great time.
05-19-2007 09:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Congrats to Dave and Dr. Mike! I bet it was a blast. I would have loved to have been there.

It was great to read that there were apparenty two newbies there. Hopefully we'll see them both here in Boise. That Crazy Cajun is like lightning in a bottle. :-)

John
05-19-2007 10:55 PM
Quote this message in a reply
elkski Offline

I guess this was using the new score sheets??
Looks like some pretty rough judges??
Whats an 11 mean?
Where is a link to the new scoring?

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
05-20-2007 10:21 AM
Unregistered

Wow!! What a fun event - and talk about a beautiful view/setting!!

My many thanks to:

Gene & Sampson & PackerBacker - for helping make this event happen... These guys performed a Herculean feat just to pull this off, and they did it well... Looks like we should be able to have a KCBS sanctioned event here next year if we want to... You guys were the bomb...

T & Tyson & Friends - for stepping up big time to see that the judging came together... Again, another Herculean effort that helped make certain the event had credibility (and both T & Tyson had worked a long hard Friday the night before as well, and still showed up Saturday morning early looking like a million dollars... In fact, they looked like they had just been shopping at Nordstroms or some other high-end men's clothing store... And talk about handsome - "Little Tyson" came along with "Big Tyson" and he is a cutie... What's his nickname? "Chef Buppi"?) Thanks to your friends as well, T....

Lyle & Family - for coming in and doing a great job with the scoring... Talk abut a "team player"... Lyle can't get into competition at this time because of commitments to school... So until he can, he still supports the UBBQA and KCBS by actively helping with the judging, scoring etc... Thanks, Lyle, both to you and your wife and daughters, for all you are doing!!

Lots of Old & New Faces - Once again, one of the very best parts of these events is getting to be around others who love to Que... There were "old faces" and friends from our initial year last year as an Association (it was kinda weird to be one of the "old guys" now, even though we are only a little over a year old!!)... And quite a few "new faces" this year as well (Man, you Idaho boys have a wild one with that "Crazy Cajun" in your crowd now!!!)... But whether they were old or new, people were walking around - and talking/sharing - and laughing - and helping one other... Not too many crowds that get any better than the Que folks!!

We surely missed seeing Smokin' Joe and Rodney and PatioDaddio and Two Pigs and Imp (Brian) and Cyclops and April (Z's better 1/2) and ChubbyKeith and others I am certain I am overlooking right now... But I know they were still there in spirit, and I look forward to being with them again in person before long...

Again, my personal thanks to everyone who made this such a fun event... And to think - more than once late on Thursday night (specifically, at 3 AM Friday morning as my wife and I are outside trying to attach the "coffin box" to the top of the Suburban), and then again late on Friday afternoon (I did not pull out of Park City until nearly 7 PM due to work and other "unexpecteds"), I was getting so close to calling Gene to tell him I just wasn't going to make it... 8)

Congratulations are certainly in order to Grand Champion PackerBacker and all the other individual meat winners... And the best of luck to Z and Carla (and any others) who are headed to Nevada this next weekend... Right now, as tired as I am, I am glad it is you and not me!!
05-20-2007 11:02 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Dr. Mike I am SO glad I didn't get that call from you. Thanks for bitting the bullet and makin' it happen.
T, Tyson, and others, again thanks.
05-20-2007 03:45 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Oh, BTW we put $313.00 into Habitats coffers. I'll get a money order to them tomorrow. Kudos on that, the sales were about $75 and a some what over $50 from you teams.
05-20-2007 03:52 PM
Unregistered

PackerBacker Dave - I owe you big time for the BDS "gift" you made for me, too... Man, is that ever sweet!! Thanks a million... You are indeed a class act, my friend... 8)
05-20-2007 08:22 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Congratulations to Packerbacker and Hoochie-Que and all other winners of sections.

I'm sorry I missed out on getting up there, sounds like it was a great first showing for the season, here's to hoping for bigger and better next year!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
05-21-2007 07:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeff Offline

elkski;p="4642 Wrote:I guess this was using the new score sheets??
Looks like some pretty rough judges??
Whats an 11 mean?
Where is a link to the new scoring?

In case you didn't figure it out already, it looks like an "11" means 11th place.

KCBS Certified Judge
05-21-2007 07:53 AM
Crazy Cajun Offline

Jeez..! Where do I start!
So many thanks to all the great folks I met, for the warm hospitality and true welcome for this "first timer." As I told my wife, the contest got me "hook, line and sinker!"

I had many ideas of what the competition would be like but the word "family" was not part of my ideas. What I found in Utah was, in fact, a true family. Every member has the same love for the Q! I can't express how much fun and commradery I experienced on Friday and Saturday with All of you! THANK YOU ALL.

I look forward to seeing everyone soon!

Kudos to Hootchie Q and the Great man from Cheese Curd Land!!
Lyle and T, Slow Joe and his Family. There are many others that made this such a great event. THANKS TO ALL that participated!

God Bless you and yours. Thanks again!
05-21-2007 08:23 AM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

I will echo what everyone had to say about Sampson, Gene, Dave, T, and Tyson Big Grin You all are 1st cabin Big Grin It was worth the drive and I am looking forward to this next year as a sanctioned event.......and we know it will be!!! Beautiful venue, great folks, and great Q.
I hope to see many of you up here in Boise.

Thanks for the geat time,

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
05-21-2007 08:51 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Well.... I am at a loss for words! Wait! no I'm not, The word is TEAM as in TEAM EFFORT! Gene,Sampson, Lyle's whole family, T, Tyson, Slow Joe and his wife,and Larry. Talk about people coming together and making it happen.
Dana and I are still a bit shocked, as to the out come, as we are a team I could never do this without her.

Thanks for your kind words. Look forward to seeing all of you in Boise

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
05-21-2007 10:05 AM
Unregistered

Definitely have to put Slow Joe and his wife into that category of "Big Thanks"... Cause I know there was probably a little "arm twistin' " to get them to come down to help with the judging... Even if Slow Joe was only giving out 5's to everyone... :shock:

A BIG thanks to all you Idaho guys/gals (cooks and judges both) for making the trip down and this contest happen...
05-21-2007 10:40 AM
2PigsSmokinB Offline

Just wanted to say congrats to all who was able to compete. The 2 Pigs sure wish we could have been there, We missed seeing all of the old faces as well as meeting the new faces. Looking forward to seeing you all soon. Hoochie and Packer Backer congrats on the win.
05-21-2007 11:03 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

While I haven’t been around the BBQ world as much as many of you, I have been to and helped run quite a few Dutch oven cook-offs, which are not all that different (except you guys don't put edible flowers on your entry). I have to say that I've seen cook-offs in their 5th year not run as smoothly as this one did. Aside from a few first year clichés (box stickers, printers, Dave's computer trying to rig the contest) things went lovely. Congrats to all. I learned a few things: some people like raspberry vinaigrette in their pulled pork!
05-21-2007 11:14 AM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

5's Hoochie :?: I gave a couple 6's too Big Grin Besides, a 5 there is still a step up from my cooking Smile
Great meeting you and look forward to competing against you up here and down there next year.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
05-21-2007 11:59 AM
Unregistered

SlowJoes;p="4663 Wrote:5's Hoochie :?: I gave a couple 6's too Big Grin Besides, a 5 there is still a step up from my cooking Smile
Great meeting you and look forward to competing against you up here and down there next year.

For those of you who haven't met SlowJoes, he is one really great fellow, and way serious about his Que... Which makes a great combination, whether he is cooking or judging...

Knowing this also helps one better translate his comments above... Basically, what SlowJoes is REALLY saying is that he is looking forward to KMA (which I figure he probably has the talent/know-how to do - And that "K" stands for "kick", not "kiss")... Oh well... If whatever I get into doesn't kill me, I figure it will only make me better...

Looking forward to seeing you again, too... Thanks again to both you and your wife for making the trip to help out... 8)
05-21-2007 01:40 PM
Pegleg Offline

To everyone that competed -- the numbers I posted are where you placed in each catagory, sorry 'bout that, I should have specified that when I posted the info. I got everyones e-mail regarding individual scoring and I will have them out to you all by the end of the day today (tuesday). I was out of town the last couple of days so I am playing catch-up today. Thanks for your paitence.

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
05-22-2007 09:08 AM
Tayster Offline

Larry Jacobs;p="4662 Wrote:some people like raspberry vinaigrette in their pulled pork!

I've never thought of that. Is it any good?

If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!
05-23-2007 07:03 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Peg Leg thought so, he gave it an eight.
05-24-2007 12:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Spring Training Pics Pegleg 2 1,039 06-06-2007 04:55 PM
Last Post: Gene