Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spring Training!
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Spring Training!
Hey everyone,
I'm shootin' for a 4 meat contest. I know there's a hunert more questions out there so ask away.
Gene
04-12-2007 04:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Gene, one of the things we did talk about was getting briskets donated to be cooked and then sold. Will we need someone properly qualified to sell the sammiches? If so does anyone planning to be there qualify? Should we plan on beverages etc. being available? How about advertising the event to the public, should we contact one of the kids over at the HJ?

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
04-13-2007 09:55 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Ok, everyone. I think finally I have some answers to this contest I'd like you all to join in. Also some ideas, which can be tweaked a mite.
1. $50 entry fee, for all 4 catagories or $15 per meat cooked. This should be a fair amount to get a decent pot and pay for the trophies etc. I am hoping for 20 teams cooking, PLEASE. No more than 25 because of space limitations.
2. I have heard zip back from Habitat for Humanity. I'd like to proceed anyway.
3. I have a season long event cooking permit for Cache Valley so this event is covered under that permit. Also covers Rich and Box Elder Counties also.
4. All teams need a 40ABC extingusher near their rig. C.C. fire rules.
5. Pop ups, EZ ups etc. must be flame retardent.
6. Spaced 10 ft. apart from one another.
7. Two volunteers to cook for the public. Pulled pork sandwiches, beans, chips?, and a soda or water. $5 each should cover expenses for the butts etc. Any left over could go to Habitat via the Association or help the Association out. Majority vote on this plan.
8. Several more volunteers to serve
9. 1 or 2 to take $$ and make change.
10. May 18th and 19th Hyrum, Utah - Hyrum State Park directions on map quest.
11. What have I missed? If we get $1,000 from competitors what's fair for GC and RGC? + each category.
12. DON'T bring 4 briskets and 10 racks etc. there's not the $ yet.
14. Yes I skipped - just like Hotels do. LOL Judges, we need judges.
15. KCBS rules as now stand for the contest.
Just a meat contest this time. A pot luck would be nice Friday eve for all in attendance. Suggestions?
16. There is room for small trailers for camping where we will cook 20-30 ft away.
Larger trailers will need to make reservations on May 15th for trailer spots.
no power available. Generator if you use a Traeger or FEC etc. on the cook site. There are 3 camp spots held for judging etc. with power available
17. I'd really like you all to help bring Cache Valley into the light of the BBQ World
so here goes. Please. Thanks all.
Gene
04-20-2007 07:55 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Gene!
What is this venue like and what are your est. on the public awareness, as to sammich sales?

I would be willing to cook the pork, but not to set up and sell.

Call me later

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
04-22-2007 08:43 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Dave, and others,
There's a pretty good sized audience here about. Most don't know the difference between BBQ and grilling however, and that's where we come in, for educational purposes.
The event is located at a popular fishin' hole that lots of folks visit. There will be 3 - 4' x 8' banners advertising it put up this week in the Valley on major streets that have thousands of cars pass by each day.
Gene`
04-22-2007 11:07 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hey everyone.
Packer Backer and I had a bit of a chat this morning about this event upcoming in May. My previous posts have told most of the story, I hope.
Dave and I thought that if everyone competing would furnish and or cook 1 extra pork butt that would be sold in sandwich form to the public, we could then use the proceeds where we deemed would be most beneficial.
We also felt a 4 meat contest will work. $50.00 entrance fee, or if you just want to do chicken and ribs $15 each.
I'm going to have Sampson help me on this part, the funding. We need a commitment from everyone who is planning to cook/attend by May 10, 2007,
in the way of a check for $50 or $30. These moneys will pay for trophies, awards etc.
Send the check to me:
Gene Atkins
538 E. Center
Logan, UT 84321
We will open a joint account to handle this portion of the event with your funds.
I really am looking forward to having you all come up to my neck of the woods and have some more good BBQ times.
Thanks everyone.
04-22-2007 03:32 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

All, Never mind the extra butts. they're covered. We need cooks and judges several of each. This looks to be a fun event. I have flyers posted around Hyrum and there is interest already showing up after just a day. I'm going to be there, with Sampson, cooking Saturday to draw some more attention to the event. Ya'll come if you'd like.
Gene
04-24-2007 04:14 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Dang Gene, we don't talk for a week or so and you go and get all motivated!!! Sounds like it's all starting to fall together, I'll call you later this afternoon and go over more of the details. And just to be real clear everyone, when Gene says we're cooking Saturday, he means this Sat. the 28th, just for fun and practice. It promises to be a beautiful weekend for a drive up to the Cache Valley, especially if you know there's some taste testing to be done...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
04-24-2007 02:21 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I am having two large 4'x8' banners made up to announce this shin-dig. I had the folks making them j-peg the image to Joe so he can post it on the site.
We still need some help up here. I know a lot of you are just itching to judge or compete so let's go.
04-24-2007 06:09 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Gene, it was great talking with ya tonight! And you are right, In order for this event to be a hit, we need some confirmation, cooks and judges alike. I know we will get some cooks, but everyone can help out by bringing family, friends out to help where needed. We need judges, table capitains, people to accept turn in boxes from cooks, and the biggest one is the pork sales we need some people to serve.! Keep in mind all the $$ from the pork sales will pay for the majority or all of the $ spent on this event, including trophies.

There are a few of us willing to put some $$ one the line to make this happen, all we want to hear from you is wheather its worth the risk and effort on our part? Gene, Sampson and myself think it is worth the effort. we just need some confimation as to take this any further.

All we want is to here you cooks speak up, then we will know how many judges we need and table capitains, and better yet, how much ice to buy to keep the beer cold Big Grin

As I said to Gene tonight, I dont want to step on any toes, and come across like I know what I am doing here, cause I don't sorta wing'n it, but input on your part is the key to this whole deal 8)

Thanks

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
04-24-2007 10:00 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I have contacted Reece Stein at Channel 2 News to see if this would be something he'd like to put on his "Roughing It" program also.
04-25-2007 03:27 AM
Unregistered

I'd really like to make the trip and cook, but that is the weekend of my eldest two daughters' ballet performance at BSU. Duty calls...

Sorry,
John
04-25-2007 08:54 AM
Quote this message in a reply
BBQUte Offline

Gene,
My group is planning to be there for this one!! Thanks for all your work so far, and let me know if there is anything else we can do to help.

P.S. I am a ServSafe Certified Food Manager and have a current Food Handlers Permit from Davis County if you need such.
04-26-2007 01:00 PM
DOBBQ Offline
Account not Activated

I know two certified judges that are interested in participating!
04-26-2007 05:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I'll be there Gene
I've been smokin out the ears waiting for a comp. It should be a geat time.
04-26-2007 07:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Z Offline

Hey all,

I am not computer saavy to say the least! But since Joe has switched us over to this new site I have made it no further than the first page logged on to the General Forum and I thought that was all there was! And I kept saying to April, there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm or interest in the Utah bbq Association with this new site. Had I not read sampsons post last night about stepping up to the plate for the Cache Valley Competition and being directed to the forum we are on now, I would have never known there was any more to this website than the home page. So it is not that i have been inactive, I just had no idea how to use the site. With that being said I look forward to chatting with you all a little more often.

Z and April

"Put your barbeque where your mouth is"
04-26-2007 11:42 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hey this is turning out great everyone. Thanks. Sampson & I are going to be @ Hyrum Dam tomorrow cooking and drawing attention to the contest. So if you want take a drive and find us.
Gene
04-27-2007 04:31 AM
Unregistered

Hey, Gene...

Hoochie-Que for certain will be there... Have got a dental meeting in SLC until 1 PM on that Friday I can't get out of - but I will be packed and head on up that way right afterwards... So I should have a little sunshine left to get set-up, etc... No electricity there, correct? Also, since I don't have an RV or motor home, just how "cool" do you think it is going to get at night while there? (Am trying to figure that one out - and what to do)... Will get you a check on it's way today... 8)

How was your cook over the weekend?
04-30-2007 10:41 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hey Hoochie,
Thanks for the input. I actually ended up at the site solo, no fault to Sampson. There were several folks there wondering what I was doing. I had some flyers made up and told them of the upcoming event, which was well recieved btw. I just cooked some chicky drummies on my Traeger with those gadgets T showed us on one of his posts. Wish they made 'em for turkey legs. So I just told the looky-loos what was about to happen and come back on the 19th and buy some pork sammiches. See the event up close and personal and see the "Smoke Upon the Water". Great weather last Sat too.
Hoochie, Cache Valley weather is a bit fickle. It can be snowy one day, sunny the next. I'd say prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I know there is going to be a lot of people going thru Hyrum that day heading for the Cache Valley Rendezvous site to set up for the Rendezvous the following week-end. We should be able to glean off of that traffic also.
As a side note, JOE where are you? Someone contact him and see if he'd post the image of the banner I'm getting made for this event. 2 actually. I leave one at the dam site and move the other one every few days to maximize coverage. Sampson has contacted the local paper here and I contacted a friend that is a DJ at one of our radio stations KKEX 96.7 fm, to see if we can get some free publicity
for this deal.
Everyone else, hop on board this band wagon please. Check my previous posts for more details. We need cooks and judges.
Gene
05-01-2007 08:10 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

Here I is, Gene.

Sorry I haven't been around, folks. Took a huge hit in my personal life, so I've been dealing with that and licking my wounds, so to speak. Damage control is ongoing, and I really have not been very enthused, motivated, or excited about Q for all that time. Hope you can forgive...

Anyway, Gene - great work so far. What's the draw for this even that's going to get people to the site? What will be the attraction for the general public? Or is it going to be a bunch of cooks having fun, and inviting whatever public is there to watch?

I got a graphic a little while back, but an empty email. There was just a JPG, but no explanation of what I was supposed to do with it. I see here that you want it posted on the site. No problem, I'll put it front page, but someone will have to come up with the copy (text) for it. Send me the hard and fast information for the event, and I will make it so...

-joe

Get your smoke on...
05-01-2007 06:15 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Joe, buddy glad to hear from you. The Jpeg is a shot of the banners I'm having made to advertise the contest. I guess show the thing and see what everyone thinks. No text yet. Wait a sec, there is text on the banner. I'm confused here. Did you just get the picture?
I have really no idea what we may pull as far as public. H*** I am having a time getting more than some die hards to jump in. Thanks Hoochie, PB, #1plumber etc. we need some more volunteers for everything.
I sent an email to a friend at a local station here and he is passing it on to the PR guy for possible air time on all 8 stations here in Logan. Crossing my fingers.
Gene
05-01-2007 08:33 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Gene
Did you get my payment for the contest.
Also do you need any more pulled pork. I'm willing to smoke some up for you.
My wife will be at the comp and is willing to help sell sandwiches.
Tell us what you need.
Thanks
05-04-2007 07:50 AM
BBdoesQ Offline

Hi, I'm new to the compititon seen. This will be my first time in compition. Can someone let me know how much meat you normally need to bring?
Gene my check is in the mail.

Thanks,
BBdoesQ
05-04-2007 12:27 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

BB, Go to kcbs.us,there you will find all the rules for a comp including turn-in boxes, but you need to have (min.) seven portions of each meat in each box At a large comp, I will do 4 butts, 2 briskets, 6 racks, about 20 thighs. I know, I know, I'm :twisted: a little wacked. Glad your going, will see ya there!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
05-04-2007 02:55 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

That's great you guys.
Dave I didn't get your fax. I messed up once and picked up the phone.
The rest of you people in BBQ land expect a pm from me this weekend. Consider it a personal invitation to come up to the beautiful Cache Valley and "Q" your little fingers to the best of your ability. And thanks in advance.
Gene
P.S. Has anyone made a board game up yet called BBQ Land? :roll: Candy Land is taken. Just thinking out loud.
05-04-2007 04:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Spring Training Roll Call! PackerBacker 21 3,323 05-13-2007 01:27 PM
Last Post: no1plumber