Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spring Training!
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Spring Training!
Thanks for the call Lyle! It was great to talk with ya yesterday, see ya friday pm

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
05-13-2007 08:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

All,
I was talking with T and Packer Backer this a.m. and T suggested directions to the cookoff site may be in order. Here goes; Turn right at the black and white cows :lol:
North bound I-15 exit Right, 1100 South - Brigham City/Logan exit. Heading east thru 2 traffic lights, 1st by car dealer/Walmart, 2nd - old Vescos motor cycle shop.
Continue east on 89-91 to Wellsville, junction of Ut Hwy 101. There is a Burger King/gas station on your left. Turn right at this intersection. Follow UT 101 to 400 West in Hyrum. I believe there is a stop sign at the corner. Turn right, heading South to another stop sign, (school on your right) straight ahead 3 more blocks and you are there at the entrance of Hyrum State Park.
South Bound I-84 to I-15 to Brigham City 1100 So. the rest of the directions are already posted above. I don't want to repeat myself.
My wife thinks I'm acting like a kid in a candy store with a pocket full of money about this event. Probably true. Ya'll are what's makin' it happen. Thanks
Gene
05-13-2007 01:37 PM
Unregistered

Gene -

1) What time can we begin to check-in & set-up? (I can't get there until between 4-5 PM - SO save me a spot!!)

2) Is there a "meat check-in" and/or a cooks meeting sometime Friday?? If so, what time are you thinking?

3) Just how big a space will we have to cook/work in? 10'x20'? Larger? Any regulations regarding canopies and proximity of cookers? In addition to cook space, will we also have camping space available and close to the cooking area (my family is going to be there)? In an earlier post on this thread, you mentioned we would have "free" camping.... How will they know who we are (besides the big smokers we will be pulling? LOL!!)??

4) I think I read somewhere that we will have no electricity - correct? Is it okay (per rules of the park) to have a small generator (I have a small, quiet Honda)? What about water - will we have access to any, or do we need to bring "utility water" as well? (Not a problem - just don't want to haul it if I don't need to)...

5) Will we have a "dump area" for ashes and/or gray water - or do we need to plan to haul it out ourselves?

6) Turn ins begin when on Saturday - noon? And then what - every 30 min? 45 min?

7) Are folks (the public) going to be strolling through during the comp, perhaps wanting "samples" to taste? If so, what are "the rules" about that (i.e., what is the health dept going to let us - or not let us - do?) Will we have some sort of "security" to minimize the "distractions" say beginning around 11 AM Sat until turn-ins are finished?

8) Is Z going to be next to Dave this year to insure things don't get too rowdy Friday night? 8)

Inquiring minds want to know... Thanks...
05-13-2007 03:23 PM
Quote this message in a reply
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Looks like Slow Joe's Smokehouse family will be there to help with judging.
Packerbacker Dave was begging me not to cook and to be honest, his big ol' crocodile tears pulled my heartstrings a little and he was showing me pictures of the family an such, so I told him I would judge. Wish I had a video of Daves big smile and his little "Happy dance" (his words, not mine).
Look forward to seeing everyone,
Joe
Slow Joe's

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
05-13-2007 07:17 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

You are sooooooooooooooooo full of @*^%$ :lol: :lol: You my friend need to bring that pellet pooper over there, You have forgotten what happened the last time you cooked against me! And for that matter, after Boise, you didn't cook at Rock'n Ribs Big Grin

To all you folks out there, Joe and his family are the greatest people you will ever meet, Dana and I are very happy they are coming! Big Grin

Nice try Joe :twisted:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
05-13-2007 07:48 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hmmm, do I sense a little sparring here.
Ok. There were a lot of questions asked so I'll get on with it. Some were asked on other posts but to save time I'll answer here only.
Check in Friday when you get here.
There will be a meat check to make sure it's iced down proper, etc.
Yes, a cooks meeting also when all have arrived.
Camping is free but will be on asphalt, a large parking lot, but you will be close to your cooking rig. There is room for smaller trailers, I don't think there will be room for anything bigger than 24 ft. and still be able to turn around to leave. If you want a nicer area to set a bigger trailer you'll need to make reservations at $15/night. There is water so bring your m/t containers and I'll have a cart to wheel them back to your cooking area. It's about 100 yds or so from cooking to the water spigots. There are showers running water in restrooms etc. Fishing has been pretty good even from shore. Power bait has been the deal.
Grey water can be dumped in the rest rooms, not the porta hooters though. The park said they'd have barrels for ashes and trash.
Generators OK
We'll have turn ins like KCBS. chicken 12:00, ribs 12:30, pork 1:00, brisket 1:30
After your last turn-in sell what you want for what you want. We just ask that you'd give some $$ to help Habitat for Humanity out. We are selling pulled pork sammiches to aid in that cause also.
Bring a 40abc fire extingusher to make the Fire Boys happy, pop ups need to be flame retardant.
There is a market in Hyrum for the I forgot items, and a convience store closer for the other items ie. ice, etc. especially the etc. huh Dave. Let's police ourselves. The Rangers have been impressed with what Sampson & I have let them sample. Ribs, brisket, chicken drummies, but you need not worry, they won't be judging. I hope this helped out. Good night, sleep tight.
Gene
05-13-2007 09:25 PM
Unregistered

Good gawd.... Looking at the forecast for this weekend... Temps in the upper 80's this weekend in Logan?? What's with that? I thought this was going to be held in Logan, UT - not Logan, TX!! Gene, they allow skinny dipping at this lake? Have a nude beach or something like that if it gets that hot? :shock:

Should be a fun weekend!!
05-14-2007 08:41 AM
Pegleg Offline

Hoochie-Que;p="4596 Wrote:Gene, they allow skinny dipping at this lake? Have a nude beach or something like that if it gets that hot? :shock:

Hoochie,
You can do anything you want -- if you can get away with it, just watch out for the Bass swimming around!! :oops: Speaking of which, with the reservoir right there Gene should have a "BBQ anything goes if you can catch it catagory". The first one to catch any speices of fish -n- Q it WINS!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
05-14-2007 09:03 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Yo! Just did an interview with Brian Brinkerhoff @ KTALK, he's the guy that does the Backcountry radio show. We'll be on Saturday AM, Thanks go to T for setting this one up!!!

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
05-14-2007 01:55 PM
GBQ Offline

Made my campsite reservations this morn. Called the number Gene posted & was told I could only make reservations by calling the state parks reservation #.After being on hold for 10 Mins. I just went on line & made them myself. If you go to Hyrum State park,you can get a better idea of the lay out for campsites. I'm in space 23. Looks like it's right next to the lake. Beach front property!! At least for acouple of days.
05-14-2007 03:09 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Sorry Hoochie, this IS NOT a clothing optional body of water.
05-14-2007 03:24 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

[quote="Gene";p="4606"]
Sorry Hoochie, this IS NOT a clothing optional body of water.

Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to tell Dave the same thing but he didn't believe me. He did say he would pack his "Swedish flag" Speedo's just in case. I didn't want to know so I didn't askSmile
Me, I'll be dressed in something appropriate for my figure like a gunny sack.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
05-14-2007 06:27 PM
Unregistered

Pegleg;p="4597 Wrote:Hoochie,
You can do anything you want -- if you can get away with it, just watch out for the Bass swimming around!! :oops:

Personally, as long as they don't have any candiru in the waters there, I am not too worried... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candir%C3%BA

Well - I might be just a little worried if Dave shows up with that Speedo thing on... Sorry - I'm definitely NOT that kind of guy, Dave...
05-14-2007 07:45 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

SlowJoes;p="4607 Wrote:
Gene;p="4606 Wrote:Sorry Hoochie, this IS NOT a clothing optional body of water.

Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to tell Dave the same thing but he didn't believe me. He did say he would pack his "Swedish flag" Speedo's just in case. I didn't want to know so I didn't askSmile
Me, I'll be dressed in something appropriate for my figure like a gunny sack.

As I have said before Joe, You are so full of *%#@, Hoochie, you have nothing to worry about, Now if Monihan was coming (sorryJim) Tongue we may have a different story, Joe try the gunny sack over your head! :lol:

See you folks in a few days, By the way if anyone has extra canopies we need some for the judges area. Let me know
Thanks
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
05-14-2007 09:31 PM
Unregistered

Dave, are you saying you are sweet on Cyclops or something to that effect? Whew - sure am glad I don't have to worry about Dave chasing me around in his Speedo this weekend... :shock:

I may have an extra canopy, so if I find it I will bring it along... 8)
05-14-2007 09:37 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Will you two give it up already! God I can't wait to meet your wifes :twisted: I knew I should have gotten to know you better last year at the SLC event, cause you are really starting to scare me! .....Wait one minute!
You have a PHD? I cant wait to crack open the JD with you my friend, but will have to wait till after turn-ins. Thats my rule Smile

Later, Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
05-14-2007 10:11 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Everyone interested - Google - Hyrum State Park. The link that says Utah State Parks shows a pretty good map of where we'll be at.
Our free area is the day use parking picnic area that extends a lot more East than the map shows. They have also let us have the #26 stall and the one across the drive from it as well as the grass area to the boat and trailer parking area. Judging area and maybe sammich sales? There is one water hydrant not shown on this map by a fish cleaning station closer to the launching ramp. We will have the use of the fire pit also. There is a 120 volt 20 amp outlet on the lake side of the restroom closest to the launch ramp too. We'll use that for the p/a perhaps or scoring for sure. There are picnic tables close in we can move a bit to suit our needs. Hope this helps some.
05-14-2007 10:37 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Breaking news, no you don't have to wait til 10. The press will be there this weekend to show our handi work to their readers. The Herald Journal is our town crier if you will. The reporter sounded pretty excited about this happening, as well she should. You are going to see and be a part of history made in Cache Valley Friday and Saturday. The 1st ever BBQ contest here to name one thing. Thanks to all of you.
I picked up 8 cases of water for the vending with the sandwiches and for the judges. Someone please get the buns for the sales side of this. Don't forget you can sell your left overs too if you want.
05-16-2007 09:02 PM
BBdoesQ Offline

Gene,
I will bring 150 buns.

This is going to be fun.

See ya real soon. Big Grin

BBdoesQ

Most people don't understand :?
KCBS Certified Judge
05-16-2007 10:14 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Gene;p="4620 Wrote:Breaking news, no you don't have to wait til 10. The press will be there this weekend to show our handi work to their readers. The Herald Journal is our town crier if you will. The reporter sounded pretty excited about this happening, as well she should. You are going to see and be a part of history made in Cache Valley Friday and Saturday. The 1st ever BBQ contest here to name one thing. Thanks to all of you.
I picked up 8 cases of water for the vending with the sandwiches and for the judges. Someone please get the buns for the sales side of this. Don't forget you can sell your left overs too if you want.

Gene, GBQ had the water covered, 175 bottles, so GBQ & Gene fight over that on a Private Message 8) We just dont need 350 waters :shock:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
05-16-2007 10:32 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Gene;p="4620 Wrote:Breaking news, no you don't have to wait til 10. The press will be there this weekend to show our handi work to their readers. The Herald Journal is our town crier if you will. The reporter sounded pretty excited about this happening, as well she should. You are going to see and be a part of history made in Cache Valley Friday and Saturday. The 1st ever BBQ contest here to name one thing. Thanks to all of you.

Gene, GBQ had the water covered, 175 bottles, so GBQ & Gene fight over that on a Private Message 8) We just dont need 350 waters :shock: OOOPS heavy finger on the SUBMIT button :oops:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
05-16-2007 10:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Spring Training Roll Call! PackerBacker 21 3,318 05-13-2007 01:27 PM
Last Post: no1plumber