Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spring Training!
SmokinJoe Offline

Spring Training!
I've been contacted by a representative of Utah State Parks and Recreation Community Relations who is awfully interested in putting on an event or two this year.

This year is an anniversary year for the department, and they would like to mark it by having a BBQ event or two in one or more of their parks. I mentioned that we'd like to have some sort of event to kick off the competition season, perhaps sometime in April or May.

So...let's hear from you all. Do you have any ideas for an event?

I'm thinking we can pull together a 2-day affair, maybe sanction it ourselves, and open it up to cookers of all types. Maybe have different comps for different classes of cookers?

Doubtful that there would be a lot of prize money, but more braggin' rights, fun, and trophies.

Okay, bring it on. Post your thoughts!

-joe

Get your smoke on...
02-21-2007 06:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Spring Training!
Hyrum, (Best Little City by a Dam Site) State Park
Rendezvous Beach, Bear Lake
02-21-2007 07:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
phantom34 Offline

I'm a rookie but would really like to participate on a team to learn more. I've done a lot of dutch oven cooking if you need any side dishes.

Fred
02-21-2007 07:35 PM
BBQMama Offline

I'd love to see something at one of the large parks downtown ... like Liberty Park. Would be fun to make this as much of a family and community participation event as possible. Maybe a People's Choice award, a Kids Q event (gotta get those future Q'ers hooked early!). Maybe even a presentation or two on the wonderful life of a BBQ judge to stir up a little interest in future classes.
02-22-2007 08:56 AM
Unregistered

IMHO, there woud be a lot of "public good" if we were able to do something here along the Wasatch Front... But if we are looking at a Spring "training" event, I would think we need to remember that Spring along the Wasatch can still be rather cool and/or unpredictable... So if we look at something along the Wasatch, I'd think we'd be smart to go with just a 1 day deal - which would mean more than likely ribs and chicken (or anything else we might be able to do in a 6-7 hour time frame)... Would minimize our "exposure" to the elements if the weather did indeed turn ugly...

If we want to do an overnight thing - which would be fun for certain - I'd sure be looking to the Southern end of the state (although granted it can still get a little nippy at night down there, too)... But then we might miss out on some of that "public good" simply because of a less dense population base to draw from... If looking South, we might want to check to see if either St. George or Moab has some sort of festival already in place for the Spring, and try to tie in with that as well...

I am aware of a lot of the National Parks here in Utah, but far less familiar (right off the top of my head) with some of our State Parks... Need to get up to speed on them and their locations I guess... :oops:
02-22-2007 10:49 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I would suggest some place close enough for back yarders and busy pros to be able to drive to in short time. Also close enough to populations that they would see, smell, learn. I love the remote mountain sites but I'm affraid we would be preaching to the choir if we were hidden away. The site should be close enough to TV stations that they could cover with news crew without to much away time.
I will supply any PA/Music you need.
02-22-2007 04:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

I got this "hunch" I will be driving east more than west this summer, I like how you guys make it happen Smile If weather is an issue, hell we can all pile in T's RV? :lol:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
02-22-2007 05:19 PM
Unregistered

PackerBacker;p="3840 Wrote:I got this "hunch" I will be driving east more than west this summer, I like how you guys make it happen Smile If weather is an issue, hell we can all pile in T's RV? :lol:

Dave

Only if you bring some "Beano" for T, Dave... If you have ever been in his RV, you will notice the paint peeling from the walls... There is a reason for that... :shock:
02-22-2007 08:53 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Hoochie? Now its not the smoker I am worried about, What about Ms. Becky :shock: Tyson I know can handle the worst :lol: T better get his Butt back on-line or he will have some catch'n up to do.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
02-22-2007 09:32 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

One of the State Parks that is in a great location is the Union Pacific Trail State Park. The park is 30 miles long and about 100 feet wide but the trailhead and parking (still part of the park) is in Prospector Square in Park City.
02-23-2007 10:14 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hey folks,
We have a date reserved for Hyrum State Park on May 18 & 19 & 20 if we want it. Overnight camping n/c to us cookers. Bring your R/V, trailer or whatever.
Space for 20 rigs and our pits and vehicles too. The manager would like to have a cookoff annually too.
The catch is Jordanell wanted to do something the same date.
I am pretty sure the Bud man here will help sponsor us, make up banners etc. One glitch for us Traeger folks is the current bushes won't be at full capacity yet, so we'll need to bring our own power source.
He'd locate us in the day use area, see the Utah parks site and click Hyrum and then their site map.
03-19-2007 07:33 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Is this a KCBC event? And what are the details on $$$ ?

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
03-19-2007 09:52 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I don't see that we could get a KCBS sanction this soon. More for fun and fellowship, and help spread the word about the Utah BBQ Association and what BBQ really is all about. We could do a peoples choice if we'd so choose.
I'll get with some businesses here in Cache Valley and see if they'll help support us. The local Bud distributor is always a help for outdoor gatherings. They help with a Bass fishing contest later in the summer, and a Tri-athalon.
More about the Park. There are showers, restrooms all the conveniences. This is in it's planning stages so bear with me everyone. Dave you have a pm.
Gene
03-20-2007 04:12 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Gene, what can I do to help???
03-22-2007 12:53 PM
Pegleg Offline

Gene,
We would like to be there as well, let us know what we can do to help. Will those spaces accomodate a 26' trailer? This will be a great opportunity relax and learn from other BBQ'RS!!!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
03-22-2007 06:43 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I'll check on the size of the space, but in that spot there is NO hook ups, and there is just room for 20 or so outfits. I will post more details later today.
03-24-2007 10:16 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Hey Gene, we started to talk about this Hyrum thing on Saturday and somehow got distracted... anyway how are things moving along and is there anything I can do to help? Do we need to try to pin down the Habitat people on their idea of getting meat for sales contributed? Are we getting people (cooks) to commit to showing up yet? Let me know what I can do...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
04-11-2007 11:01 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Sampson and everyone else,
So far this is what is set in concrete. Hyrum State Park will not charge the cooks or judges a camping fee. There are no hook ups for power in the camp sites.
There is power, 20 amps, near the rest rooms, available. Reservations for the good (grassy areas) camping spots are available and may be made beginning May 15th.
There are 3 spaces reserved for the Utah BBQ Association for the judging area.
I am working with folks from Habitat to see if markets in the area will donate some or all of the meat.
There will be trophies for GC & RGC. I don't know if there will be any $ for those spots. We need judges and cooks.
I think 20 cooks would be the limit considering the space available. This is planned to be a contest to help Habitat for Humanity. So all your help will be greatly appreciated.
Gene
04-11-2007 11:29 AM
BBQMama Offline

I'd be interested in cooking. Be a good warm-up for Best Dam BBQ the following weekend.

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
04-11-2007 01:04 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Funny you'd mention that. Hyrum has been called "The Best Little City by a Dam Site" for as many years as I've been around Cache Valley. (More than 50)
04-11-2007 01:09 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

I am up for this one, I will try and get some cooks and judges interested that were over to the house last weekend. Entry fee's??? Saturday or Sunday turn-in? Gene, even though I am over here let me know what I can do?

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
04-11-2007 01:18 PM
2PigsSmokinB Offline

Sounds like something the 2 Pig will be interested in. Just post out the details.
04-11-2007 02:39 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

All,
Saturday turn in, no charge to stay at the campground Sat. nite if anyone would like to stay longer. What I am thinking is that if the meat is donated, there wouldn't a lot of expense for the cooks, so some of the meat would be judged like in all contests, and trophies awarded, then the remaining could be sold to the public and the proceeds be given to Habitat for Humanity. Does that idea sit well with you folks? I'm open for suggestions.
04-11-2007 03:15 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Sounds good to me Gene. Tell me what I can do.
04-11-2007 06:20 PM
Unregistered

Hey, Gene...

We talking about a full-blown cook that will require cooking over night on Friday? (Butts plus brisket, along with ribs and chicken)? Or just a Saturday cook (ribs and/or chicken)?

Hoochie and his Fat 50 and BDS are ready to play that weekend... 8)
04-11-2007 06:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Spring Training Roll Call! PackerBacker 21 3,312 05-13-2007 01:27 PM
Last Post: no1plumber