Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
3 pigs BBQ ???? BBQ setup at 106th S and 13th east in Sandy?
elkski Offline

3 pigs BBQ ???? BBQ setup at 106th S and 13th east in Sandy?
I have seen this guys house looking trailer set up a few times for drive by lunch and dinner signs?

who is da man?
any tasters yet?
01-25-2007 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SmokinJoe Offline

I saw that the other night...Tuesday? Right there at the corner where no business has yet survived.

It looks like the enclosure portion is like the smaller Southern Yankee concession, but didn't it look like they mounted a home stove at the tongue end???

Haven't tried it, but I will stop by next time I see them there.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-25-2007 09:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
elkski Offline

Yes they had a big low box on the front and I'm not sure if that isn't just storage or a low cooler?
It looked like he was serving off a lidless tray grill to me??
I think that corner is a good one. THe last biz attempt there was doomed from the start. health food and one person run rear grill that stunk like a greasy spoon. Its to bad the fresh produce stand didn't work out but Its ahrd to run one of those all year long.
I do believe it is a good in-out location and depending on whatever becomes of that old store it might be a good location for something.
Maybe goodwoods has introduced some folks to the idea that Q can be good.

I looked and didn't see smoke coming out the stacks and he wasn't there this am so maybe he moves in and out everyday? His sign also listed a 801 ph #.
01-25-2007 10:01 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Hey guys, from the description of this rig it might be the one that was behind the Maverick in Stansbury Park vending food. The owner Mike also vended food in and around Toole at events. He contacted me some time ago to inform me that the unit was for sale along with other restaurant equipment. Don't know if this is the same one in question, but it sounds as if it is. I also know that corner having lived in that area for awhile. I think the key to street vending BBQ is first of all have a good consistent product, location, meaning close to a corner where 4 way traffic can get a good look at you while waiting for the light to change in any direction. Run a clean ship and have a re pore with your customers, and most of all have a love for what you are doing because it will show in your product. People will give you one shot so he has to come out swinging. His survival will depend on repeat customers and word of mouth. There are many other factors as well. I wish who ever it is all the luck in the world. Remember guys this is how I started out with a little trailer that had a licence plate ring on it. People laughed at it and thought it was cute. It simply said "when I grow up I want to be a restaurant"

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
01-25-2007 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I knew Mike from Deseret Proving Grounds so I visited him at Standsberry a couple times. Not so good on the ribs. Hard to do anything in Tooele. I see Richards store is now a Mexican resturant. Wonder where his smoker went, maybe some bank has it up for sale.
01-25-2007 10:08 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

I stopped by that trailer tonight.

Seems to be a couple of young gentlemen of Greek descent. They offer ribs, chicken, pulled pork and shish kabobs. Sides are fries or pilaf. The menu has a couple other items as well.

I talked to them for a few minutes as I stood out in the cold. They had never heard of UtahBBQA. In fact, they had only started up the business 3 days ago...Monday?

Anyway, they DID get the rig from Mike in Tooele. Looks decent enough. Interesting looking cooker, a rotisserie job. Couldn't really get close enough to it, though, to check it out much.

I ordered some ribs and fries, and while I was talking with one of the guys - he seemed to be in charge, and dumb me didn't ask his name! - he offered a piece of his "BBQ". I accepted, and he took a piece of flatbread and pulled a cooked chunk of pork off of a skewer over the box-type grill and handed it to me. This chunk of pork was very nicely done. Great aroma, nice tenderness and great flavor. I'd go back for more.

The ribs...well, the ribs were edible. After you've been cooking your own for a while, and have judged a comp or two, or sampled experiments and trial runs from top cooks, you get a bit jaded. Jaded to the point that almost no restaurant fare will be good enough. These ribs had an odd pinkish hue inside, nice smoke aroma but almost no smoke flavor. The flavor of the seasoning was so subtle as to be almost non-existant. Interesting sauce, too, which they applied to the meat rather than on the side. I think they would have obliged a request for sauce on the side instead, though, but I didn't speak up for wanting to see what they do normally.

The fries, though...the fries were to-die-for. Cut fresh at the time of order and tossed into the fryer until beyond golden brown (I'm the guy that likes burnt potato chips, too) with just the right amount of salt. Excellent. I'd go back for more of those, too.

The rib order had 4 big bones and nearly a pound of fries, garnished with a few pickle slices and a couple tomato slices, which I thought was a little odd - not to mention expensive for garnish. $8.00

They seemed to be doing a decent business, too. There were 3 cars when I got there, and 2 more came after me while I waited, all of which took about 15 minutes.

If you're in the neighborhood, stop on in.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-25-2007 10:36 PM
elkski Offline

Somebody show them the smoke!!!!
Well I was hungry at 11:40 am this Monday morning and found myself at that intersection.
So I went for the ribs and fries.. 8$
Came with a small fry sauce cup of some sauce on the side. The toms are gone but pickles are still there.
I took it home as it looked hard to eat in the rig with plastic and I was going to need some ketchup for the nice fries.
No real smoke flavor emitting from the takeaway box as I drove about 5 mins home.
I opened up the tray and it didn't have much smoke smell either.
The fries were good. THe meat had a funny smell.?? Anyway it was basically cooked meat. The bones were soft so I suspect boiled meat or soaked to keep warm??? The sauce was like a mix between salsa and ketchup. I used sweet baby rays on this otherwise unspiced meat.
I hope I feel ok tonight.
Boy how I would love a BBQ joint at that location.
Please will someone take them under their wing and teach them how to BBQ with smoke. My first thought was to take them some frozen pulled pork I have in the freezer. Maybe I should invite them over for some WSM chicken or something. Gosh I do wish them luck but I think T is correct that the first impressions are so all Important.

I wont go back for now
01-29-2007 01:02 PM
BubbaQ Offline

Re: 3 pigs BBQ ???? BBQ setup at 106th S and 13th east in Sa
We tried this place last week. Not too bad. For $30 I got two 1/2 racks and a plate of pork shish-k-bobs. They come with rice pilaf or fries (the fries are to die for!!!) and a piece of flat bread. And a drink. They cook it to order right while you wait and the smell coming off the grill is enough to make your mouth water. Even though it was freezing, we blasted the heater in the car and rolled down the windows to take in the scent. The people were wonderfully nice. An entire family was working the joint. The shish-k-bobs beat the ribs in my opinion. The meat had a wonderful smoky flavor and almost a sweet taste served with pickles as a side. They weren't the best we've had, but they were decent and the fries would make me go back!

Egghead Bubba Q
02-12-2007 12:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Calling 2 Pigs Guest 5 1,083 04-03-2007 10:44 PM
Last Post: Guest