Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to Utah
ChefKevin Offline

New to Utah
Hey im new hear and I am having a really hard time finding veal bones. If anybody can point me to a place that sells them thaat would be awesome.
01-16-2007 08:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T Offline
Posting Freak

Welcome Chef, you might try Toole Valley Meats located in Grantsville, not too far west of here. The owners name is Ed. The phone number is 328-3506. You may also try to find a Greek meat market or supplier of them. Maybe Majestic Meats at 486-4904. Hope this helps Chef and again welcome.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
01-16-2007 10:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChefKevin Offline

thanks T, I apriciate the help and the welcome. I'm looking foward to upping my BBQ game.
01-17-2007 03:13 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

There is a Halal butcher down the 1600's on Redwood road (west side of the road), I have bought lamb and goat from him I think he may have veal too!

Not sure of the address any clearer than that, sorry.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-17-2007 09:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SmokinJoe Offline

Kevin,

Whatcha' planning on doing with veal bones?

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-17-2007 12:57 PM
Unregistered

I'm bettin' stock or demi-glace. Big Grin

John
01-17-2007 01:52 PM
Quote this message in a reply
ChefKevin Offline

good homemade stock and demi is the foundation for about 80% of what I make. and since i moved from california PattioDaddio is the first person to even know what i want veal bones for. you get a gold star for sure. Question, does braised short ribs count as BBq?
01-17-2007 06:16 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

No...but it DOES count as dinner!

I figgered you were going for the stock...forgot about the demi. But for what, with regard to BBQ, y'know? Big Grin

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-17-2007 06:26 PM
ChefKevin Offline

well...its not for BBq, but i figured that you guys would know where to get it. although i am experimenting with a stock based BBq sauce but its been slow going cause i dont have a smoker out here yet. you see i have a deep love for BBq( i used to live in memphis) but im french trained so im trying to to meld the two and come up with something true to bbq but with classic french technique. Im kind of a sauce fanatic.
01-17-2007 06:38 PM
Unregistered

Thanks for the gold star, Kevin. I was going to stick my neck out and guess that maybe it was for delicacy of the pure marrow (ala Osso Bucco) that is eaten on buttered bread, but that is a little "out there".

I am an amateur chef and I would love to chat if you make it to the SLC competition in August.

Take care,
John
01-18-2007 12:18 AM
ChefKevin Offline

that would be awesome, how does a guy get on a team around here? i used to hang out with the world champ from 97 in memphis when i lived there. he never did let me in on anything but ive always wanted to be on a team sinse then.
01-18-2007 01:32 AM
Unregistered

Welcome, Kevin...

Well:

1 ) You gotta have a fancy for Que...
2 ) Be willin' to cook overnight (most comps begin like on a Friday afternoon, with turn-ins beginning around noon on Saturday)... Being a "newbie", it is a time honored tradition that you hold down the 1 AM until 6 AM shift tending the fire, while your other teammates get their beauty sleep...
3 ) Be willin' to travel a little from time to time (we only have 1 sanctioned contest in Utah right now - but with others in surrounding states, such as Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, etc)
4 ) Enjoy a lot of smoke in the eyes from time to time, along with an occasional cinder in the hair (Ask Cyclops/Jim Monihan about this... Is how he lost his hair... Tragic story.... Wasn't wearing a hat when he should have... Cinder landed in his hair.... Poof!... Instant flames... Couldn't get to a fire extinquisher fast enough... Truly, truly tragic story...)
5 ) You have to learn from T about how to "shake hands" with a turkey, and be willing to demonstrate this to everyone in the organization (I think Joe, our President, or Rodney - one of our Board members - here can help you with this as well...)
6 ) Be willing to cook next to Z (another Board member) and his friends at least on 1 competiton (no need for coffee or No-doz at that comp)
7 ) Be willin' to listen to Packerbacker/Dave talk over and over again about how the Green Bay Packers are mounting their comeback next season... And how he really isn't that good of a cook.... And how he is just going to do terrible at this comp...
8 ) Be willin' to spy and gather as many secrets from Otis & The Bird (Packerbacker's cuz) and Oink County Cookers as possible and share them with everyone here..
9 ) Pay your dues to the board members of the UBBQA - 1/2 cord of pecan wood to each board member...
10 ) Be willing to tolerate a little verbal abuse from time to time from the likes of folks such as Pattio Daddio and me...
11 ) Be aware there are rumors that there is an occasional sip of Jack that takes place at these comps (yes, even here in Utah)
12 ) Be prepared to meet some of the nicest, most genuine folks you will ever know - and enjoy some really great times at these comps...
13 ) No knife throwing if things are going wrong (like we hear all you hot headed chefs do from time to time)...

Did I leave aything out, gang?...

Be willing to do the above - and I bet we can find you a place on a team, Kevin... :wink:
01-18-2007 09:50 AM
ChefKevin Offline

well i dont have a fancy smoker, but i think i got the other stuff covered. slow smoking is kinda the last frontier for me in the world of BBq, I have never reallly had access to one.
01-18-2007 04:51 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Kevin,

Best way to get on a team is to express interest in doing so, say...in a place just like this! Tongue

There are teams locally that will add a member for a particular event.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-18-2007 06:15 PM
ChefKevin Offline

cool, well i am interested, as for BBq i am a rookie but i think i could have some things to offer. so if anybody is interested let me know.
01-18-2007 06:26 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

ChefKevin Wrote:cool, well i am interested, as for BBq i am a rookie but i think i could have some things to offer. so if anybody is interested let me know.

Noted. Who knows? AshKickers might be able to use ya'. 8)

Keep in mind that there won't be any cookoffs in this area for a little while yet, but Rodney and I still have been known to gather around the firebox in the cold...

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-18-2007 06:44 PM
ChefKevin Offline

I just applied at Good Wood, are any of you guys familiar with that place and is it any good?
01-19-2007 06:30 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Many are familiar.

Now, this is MY opinion only. It is a good RESTAURANT. Good looking place, decent waitstaff. I care nothing for their food (again, personal opinion).

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-19-2007 06:45 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Oh, Dr. Mike you have out done yourself on that one :lol: I had tears rolling on #4 & #5. Then I was on the floor for #6 &#7!!!! ( All in fun "Z")

But I have to say # 12 is the reason to be in or at a comp.!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-19-2007 07:11 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

SmokinJoe Wrote:Many are familiar.

Now, this is MY opinion only. It is a good RESTAURANT. Good looking place, decent waitstaff. I care nothing for their food (again, personal opinion).

WOW 8O That was a close one :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-19-2007 07:18 PM
ChefKevin Offline

I only applied so that maybe i could buy stuff through there meat purveyor. I also have a tryout scheduled for "Chef's Table" next week. anywho, I just picked up a cast iron skillet, any good tips on seasoning it you could pass my way?
01-19-2007 07:40 PM
Brian Offline

cast iron
Hi Chef Kevin welcome to UT

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
01-20-2007 05:10 AM
Brian Offline

cast iron
Hi Chef Kevin welcome to UT,

I have seasoned new pans as well as abused pans (some used as planters). I recommend cleaning the pan well first as new pans are coated to prevent them from rusting while on display( I use steel wool, SOS the kind with soap). After that turn on oven to around 350 (or just below smoke point for the oil being used) put about 1/2" to 1" cooking oil in the bottom if it has a lid put it on the pan and bake it for as long as your patience will hold out. ocassionally, using a long pair of tongs often rub the hot oil on the parts of the pan that are not covered. After your patience has reached its end remove the pan allow the oil to cool. dispose of the oil. wipe the pan with oil covered paper towels until the oil is clean after wiping the surface then use the pan to fry fatty things like bacon. From this point on I will never use soap in the pan again. I simply wipe the pan out with paper towels. if a mess is made in the pan due to the food I are cooking (high sugar content, gravy, etc.) wipe it out as good as I can then put some oil in the bottom of the pan and again back in a hot oven to burn out the remaining foodstuffs. Once it is all carbonized, it will scrape out easily with a putty knife. then wipe the pan with oil covered paper towels until the oil is clean after wiping the surface. I hope this is clear enough.

Also a side note, I have eaten twice at Good Wood some of the side dishes weren't bad but I found the only good thing about the bbg there is the wood, once they start cooking with it everything goes downhill from there (only my opinion)

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
01-20-2007 05:11 AM
ChefKevin Offline

thanks for the advice, as for goodwood, please dont get the impression that i like the place for its BBq. its a paycheck and hopefully a connection to a good meat purveyor that i can exploit as much as possible. and who knows maybe i'll fix the joint. I've never actually eaten there, is it texas BBq? thats the impresion i get.
01-20-2007 05:36 PM
Cyclops Offline

I don't care who you are, That's Funny!
Hoochie, you never cease to amaze me! Your powers of observation are truly incredible! I haven't laughed that hard by myself in at least ten years! You sir, are a true wordsmith!
Chef Kevin, the only thing that will have to change in the "melding" of classic French cuisine and BBQ is the portion size will have to be increased.
01-20-2007 09:01 PM