Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
100% natural turkeys!
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

100% natural turkeys!
Sam's Club now carrying 100% natural turkeys, no brine, broth, or added water, 87¢ / lb fresh from California.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
11-15-2006 06:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SmokinJoe Offline

Interesting. Have you tried one, by any chance? I wonder if we as a population have gotten so used to the processing that we wouldn't enjoy a "natural" bird these days...

-joe

Get your smoke on...
11-16-2006 06:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Not tried one yet, I was going to buy one tomorrow and cook it Saturday, I will post the results Late Saturday, and try and get some picks of it too!

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
11-16-2006 07:37 PM
Gumbo Offline

Costco also has fresh turkeys; non-enhanced, never frozen. They're great. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything else.
11-17-2006 08:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

If you can make the trip to Moroni, you can get very fresh turkeys. They also have turkey breasts and you can call them and make orders of birds, breasts and dark meats
11-17-2006 08:17 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Running a day late and a dollar short as usual. :oops:

Got one today gonna cook it tomorrow, found some "sell by" spareribs too, and I have a ham to smoke as well.

I am going to prep them tonight, get some pictures, cook then during the day tomorrow, get more pictures, carve and eat, get some more pictures, try getting the pictures from camera to computer, then hopefully post it all.

11-18-2006 05:09 PM
Pegleg Offline

There is a place up here in West Haven (Ogden) called Wights Turkey Farm that sells fresh turkeys. I have never bought one but have heard that they are so popular that they need to be special ordered. Here's the address and phone number. The are down the road from me about 2 miles.

Wight's Farm Fresh Turkey
4955 W 2550 South
Ogden
(801) 731-3760

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
11-19-2006 09:30 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Well I tried it out yesterday, the turkey weighed 15.6 lbs, I loosened the skin over the breast from the neck on down, gave it an EVO sponge bath, then some poultry seasoning mixed in with some CookShack chicken rub, both inside the loosened skin, and over the outside, and a sprinkle of course Sea Salt over the top.

The wrapper for the ladybird.

[Image: PA192502.jpg]

Skin loosened over the breast and covered in EVO.

[Image: PA192501.JPG]

Rub on top and inside the breast skin.

[Image: PA192503.jpg]

The ladybird resting.

[Image: PA192505.jpg]

The WSM was holding 290°, with an empty water pan (scrunched up foil, with a foil wrapper over it), the turkey went on at 2:45 and smoked for 90 minutes over charcoal and apple wood, it was then put into a foiled pan, tented over and returned to the WSM, I checked it at 6:00 it was 170° in the thigh, I took it off, closed down the vents, and brought it in.

I should have got a picture of what was left, (not a lot really), the legs, thighs and the wings, all but 3 or 4 sandwiches worth of white meat was gone, it was a nice and moist, I thought the turkey had a good turkey flavor, I will be happy to buy this type again, it took the seasoning well, the seasoning was not overpowering, and the turkey taste was there in a more subtle way than the last Butterball we cooked in the oven. All in all I was impressed with the whole thing, the perfume of smoked turkey in the fridge this morning almost made me stop for a sandwich on the spot.

The ham I was told would be better saved for Thanksgiving, so it did not even make it out of the fridge.

11-20-2006 09:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I'm over natural lump charcoal Bam Bam 9 1,801 02-01-2010 05:18 PM
Last Post: T
  Jenni-O Turkeys at Layton Walmart Pegleg 1 372 01-07-2008 11:23 PM
Last Post: Pegleg
  Spiral Hams & Turkeys T 5 1,029 04-11-2007 08:04 AM
Last Post: Gumbo