Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smoking A Turkey
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Smoking A Turkey
Check out November topic of the Artilary cooking teams news letter. I'm going to give this one a try.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbqsuccess.com">http://www.bbqsuccess.com</a><!-- m -->
11-01-2006 07:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gumbo Offline

Hey Jake,

It's definitely that time of year. I'm going to cook this year's turkey on the kettle. I like to brine, air dry in fridge, then cook it hot, over 300 degrees, to keep the skin crisp. I may do a practice run next week.

I'd be interested in hearing how everyone else likes their turkey.
11-02-2006 08:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Gumbo Wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how everyone else likes their turkey.

I like it as soon as you say it is done, Gumbo... Just let me know what time to be there... 8)
11-02-2006 09:09 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Smoked Turkey
I just read this myself this morning. 8)
Another thing that caught my eye is Bill and the team have switched to using Traegers Big Grin in their competetions. I'm all over that. This week end is going to be their first with a Traeger. Big Grin
I am going to do the meats done in a KCBS contest for Thanksgiving. No Turkey. I will have the Island area of Logan smokin'. I already have people from a couple of blocks away ask me what I did the other day or last weekend. They never come over though.:? I usually do salmon on the weekends, so with the fish, Ritz crackers and ice tea there's my lunch for the games on Sunday.
Gene
11-03-2006 08:21 AM
Gumbo Offline

Hey Hooch, I'm the opposite--never liked turkey much. I guess I've been fed too many dried out, flavorless slices of sawdust over the years.

If I'm going to eat turkey, it's got to be cooked just right. Flavor throughout, moist meat, crisp skin. I'll have some of that!!
11-03-2006 12:00 PM
phatch Offline

I'm doing an early run on a 13 pound turkey tomorrow. Not planning on smoking it as my timing isn't working out for that. Mostly, I want a bunch of turkey stock on hand for doing the main turkey on Thanksgiving up right. Plenty of gravy and real turkey flavor for all the sides.

Super Savers near 3500 South and 1700 West has turkey 1t $0.79/pound and pork shoulder cuts at $0.98/pound right now.
11-04-2006 09:23 PM