Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Cache Valley BBQ contest
SmokinJoe Offline

Re: A Cache Valley BBQ contest
Gene Wrote:I tried touching bases with David from the American West Heritage Center about the cook-off in May. No real person, left a message.
I am also thinking about doing one during the Cache Co. fair. We'd already have the crowd there, etc. It's the 2nd week-end of August, practice for the Ut. State Championship. Thoughts - everyone!!
Gene

I haven't heard from anyone from AWHC for some time, but I did get contacted by someone from Cache Co. Fair - I just haven't had the time to get back in touch with them. The dates for that are only 2 weeks away from the RNR2007, so I'm not sure how it would play out.

I have some ideas, though.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
12-15-2006 06:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Gene, I'm mounting a couple of 075s on a trailer since you won't sell my your SMK190. Count me in to cook and let me know if you want a PA system with wireless mics (Like we do at Dutch Oven events).
12-15-2006 09:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I can get you a 190 if ya really want one. And when did I say I wouldn't sell my 190?
12-17-2006 09:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I want your 190 Too.
12-17-2006 11:33 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Sorry Gene, maybe it was just my brain over dosing on Hickory smoke again! It IS one fine machine and you can bet if I ever found an 8,000 dollar bill on the ground, you would be my first stop. Second task would be to convince my wife that it came from the DI.
12-17-2006 02:03 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Jake, buddy, do the math 75+75=150. :lol: That's 40 shy.
The new and improved 190 8) is an expense to be considered along with much pleading :wink: to the boss lady. So how are you going to rig the trailer, with the grills back to back? Any thing else on the trailer, 3 sinks, sleeping quarters, shower etc.?
12-17-2006 05:17 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I will cut the legs down, mount to steel deck, back to back. Pellet bin, battery with converter and charger cross wise up front. I've tried the cookers on battery power and I'm good for about 20 hours.
12-18-2006 08:20 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

That sounds pretty neat. How many batteries you running thru the inverter? Post a photo or 2 when ya can.
12-19-2006 04:44 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Ok folks, it's been to long. Tomorrow I am going to get on the phone and see if there is a shot at having a cookoff or two in CV this year. Both of the people at the CC Fair and the AWHC in Wellsville have had time to make some decisions. I'll put their feet to the fire, er, coals, pellets, whatever.
01-31-2007 07:25 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Can I play too? :wink: Ok, again how far from Boise? Can you tell I really dont like to drive much?

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-31-2007 09:23 PM
Brian Offline

I want to play too
I just started a new job if I can get the time off I will be there sanction not withstanding nor does the prize amounts (or lack thereof) keep me from attending

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
01-31-2007 10:13 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Dave, buddy, it's 2-1/2 hrs from Burley to Logan, or vica-versa. So do the math from Boise to Burley and add 2-1/2 hrs. I'm going to come up to Boise for your doins'.
02-01-2007 11:19 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Your right Gene, MapQuest is the ticket, its just somtimes easier to ask than go to that site.

DAVE

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
02-01-2007 08:56 PM
Unregistered

Gene...

Hoochie definitely wants to be there, too... But hurry with a date ASAP... My wife is already filling in my/our summer!! 8O
02-02-2007 12:35 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Yeah brother, I know all the words to that song. Big Grin

John
02-02-2007 12:57 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Joe,
What can I do here to aid & abet these requests? I'm really an instigator, not an organizer. I can follow directions however. Big Grin I'm shooting for the 19th of May, the week-end after Moms day and the week-end before Memorial day, and another one in August. The 10th & 11th in conjunction with the CC Fair. On previous posts we hashed over just a chicken/rib contest at the American West Heritage Center, in Wellsville. Personally I'd like to do a full sanctioned event in August @ the CC Fairgrounds in Logan. That's 2 weeks prior to R&R in SLC.
Gene
02-02-2007 07:41 AM
Flexo Offline

I am a KCBS trained judge, and I would love to be there.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
02-12-2007 12:40 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Well everyone, The AWHC contest is a no go this year. Sad They did say they want to make a really big event out of one in late May or early June of '08 however. They are planning to that goal now. Big Grin
In the meantime I will pursue the Cache County Fair one with all the effort I can muster. I will approach the Kiwanis folks today and see if they'd like to do one similar to the Pleasant Grove Hog Heaven contest.
I need suggestions from everyone. But for those ideas send them to my home e-mail - <!-- e --><a href="mailto:blakpot1@yahoo.com">blakpot1@yahoo.com</a><!-- e --> so we don't clutter up Joes' new handi-work. Great new look Joe.
02-14-2007 08:25 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

Gene;p="3708 Wrote:I need suggestions from everyone. But for those ideas send them to my home e-mail - <!-- e --><a href="mailto:blakpot1@yahoo.com">blakpot1@yahoo.com</a><!-- e --> so we don't clutter up Joes' new handi-work. Great new look Joe.

By all means, use the forum for that - that's part of what we're here for! Idea

-joe

Get your smoke on...
02-14-2007 02:46 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Howdy everyone Big Grin I hope you are all doing well.
The Cache County Fair is Aug.9,10,11 2007.
1. I need positive head count who at this point in time will be there to cook/compete.
2. Logan City Fire Marshall requires a 10' space between contestant spaces.
3. On Friday they are having a breast cancer awareness program. I feel we should do a peoples choice rib only fund raiser for this. What say Ye? Say a buck a bone. Is that ok?
4. I think we can do a KCBS cook-off also. Joe I need you to pm me please or give me a time when you, Hoochie, and the rest of the B.O.D. can meet me or maybe even someone slip up here and let me show you the lay of the land. I realize T can't with his schedule but that's understandable.
5. I looked at a trophy shop and asked prices etc. $200 will get a 5' tall GC and a 4' tall RGC trophy. Is that out of line?
6. What kind of $ need we charge for entry fees? They shouldn't be wanting to ding us if we help them on a fund raiser.
7. I think what I'm asking is can we as an Association take this on from cradle to grave ourselves. Who has to front the $300 for the sanction fee? Can we do this from entry fees or does CC have to foot that part of it?
8. I'm waiting for a call from the Fire Inspector for clearance data, but it was 10' for me from anyone last year so I don't suppose she'd change that.
So I hope this will light a fire. They seem to be interested so let's try.
Gene
02-23-2007 06:25 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Gene;p="3867 Wrote:The Cache County Fair is Aug.9,10,11 2007.

The Dillon, CO cookoff is that same weekend. We were rather hoping to have a Utah presence there to try and spur CO cooks to come out to ours. Personally, I'll support a Utah cookoff in favor of an out-of-state cookoff, but if the CO event offers a bigger payout, and it will, I'm sure most typical cooks would rather go there. However, cooks around here are a bit different in that bragging rights and camaraderie are bigger attractions.

Gene;p="3867 Wrote:1. I need positive head count who at this point in time will be there to cook/compete.

Count me in. If guesstimating a headcount gets to be a problem, decide to issue a maximum amount and give a cutoff date. If sanctioning by KCBS is what is wanted, set the limit anywhere between 15-24. Non sanctioned, no limits.

Gene;p="3867 Wrote:2. Logan City Fire Marshall requires a 10' space between contestant spaces.

Nice. But what is the location like? What's the layout? If there has to be that much space between cooksites, then you'll want to look at placing the turn-in table centrally.

Gene;p="3867 Wrote:3. On Friday they are having a breast cancer awareness program. I feel we should do a peoples choice rib only fund raiser for this. What say Ye? Say a buck a bone. Is that ok?

Sounds like a great fundraiser, but ribs are expensive and a buck a bone won't really recoup the costs. However, if sponsorship $$ and meat donations can be obtained, then you've got something to give the charity.

Gene;p="3867 Wrote:4. I think we can do a KCBS cook-off also. Joe I need you to pm me please or give me a time when you, Hoochie, and the rest of the B.O.D. can meet me or maybe even someone slip up here and let me show you the lay of the land. I realize T can't with his schedule but that's understandable.

We could, I suppose, but would it be the best move? If the County or someone wants to pay the sanctioning fee...we sure don't have the money for it yet.

Gene;p="3867 Wrote:5. I looked at a trophy shop and asked prices etc. $200 will get a 5' tall GC and a 4' tall RGC trophy. Is that out of line?

Nope, that's pretty cool!

Gene;p="3867 Wrote:6. What kind of $ need we charge for entry fees? They shouldn't be wanting to ding us if we help them on a fund raiser.

Depends on if it's KCBS or UtahBBQA sanctioned. Also, they shouldn't be wanting to charge us anything, since it's their event, but if they do then we need to talk with them...

Gene;p="3867 Wrote:7. I think what I'm asking is can we as an Association take this on from cradle to grave ourselves. Who has to front the $300 for the sanction fee? Can we do this from entry fees or does CC have to foot that part of it?

Yes, I think we can do this as long as there's enough interest in the cooking community. Someone needs to pay the sanctioning fee up front before we can get it on the KCBS calendar. Doesn't really matter who it is, but the fees and all per diem and reimbursements would get paid from the entry fees. Remember, KCBS and the contest reps need to get paid back for travel, expenses, supplies...

Gene;p="3867 Wrote:8. I'm waiting for a call from the Fire Inspector for clearance data, but it was 10' for me from anyone last year so I don't suppose she'd change that.

So I hope this will light a fire. They seem to be interested so let's try.
Gene

Sounds good. We could even look at putting on a judging class in the area, or funneling any interested parties into the Boise class...at least, I think I remember talk of a judging class in that area...

-joe

Get your smoke on...
02-24-2007 09:34 AM
BBQMama Offline

I was planning on competing in Dillon, but would second Joe in supporting a Utah event first. Besides, there's a couple of other CO events to hit up this summer too. So count us in for the Fair

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
02-24-2007 10:07 AM
2PigsSmokinB Offline

I think this may also be the weekend for the comp in Stevensville, MT. I was planning on going to that one as we have quite a few friends up there. However we may want to rethink this and support a local comp to get more interest here in the state. For planning numbers count us in.
02-24-2007 10:18 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks for your support guys and gals. I mentioned earlier that no matter the weekend there is something else going on somewhere we all could be at. Just too many activities and too few weekends. Here's a thought, 2 day work weeks and 5 day weekends. All in favor say I. don't post your votes I know what you're vote is.
02-25-2007 05:52 PM
Unregistered

Hey, Gene...

Hoochie-Que will definitely plan to be there... Dillon or Montana were definitely going to be out of the question for me this year, as the following weekend I have my annual patient appreciation BBQ ("Fall Fang-dango") for which I will be cooking for 500+, and the weekend after that of course is the RNR... So something closer to home works a whole lot better for me... 8)
02-25-2007 06:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Results of the Huntsville Smokin' Valley BBQ Challenge Pegleg 2 1,196 07-07-2011 10:33 PM
Last Post: tipsforBBQ
  July 1st and 2nd Huntsville, Smokin' Valley BBQ Challenge Pegleg 7 2,177 03-15-2011 10:50 PM
Last Post: Three4Que