Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Cache Valley BBQ contest
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

"Mmmm BBQ" (H. Simpson)
Hey everyone,
Finally, I laid some ground work with the American West Heritage Center for a BBQ contest in May of '07. The 18th-19th to be exact. That's a week after Moms day and a week before Memorial Day. There is space to park rvs, for overnight stays, a large area for the cooking part.
I guess what we all need to decide is what/how much to cook, who does the judging, what to do for prizes, etc. (my idea is to have KCBS trained folks do the judging). Do we want to have a peoples choice portion, (I think yes,) and what should prizes be etc. I know there is more to this than meets the eye.They would charge admission for the public.
So you Cache Valley folks that read this post and web site let's pitch in and make this a go.
Joe, I gave the director of the events (David) the Utah BBQ Assn. web address so he may be getting in touch with you also.
There are some details they'll need to work out among the rest of the folks at the Center but David sounded pretty excited about it.
That's 7 months down the road but time flies, so can I get some input from the rest of all you folks. Thanks.
Gene
10-20-2006 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SmokinJoe Offline

Hey there, Gene. I just got the email from the Program Director up there. Sounds like it could be an awesome contest.

We could get it sanctioned and do something similar to the Gallivan, or just do it as a practice/season opener for fun and prizes and bragging rights like at Pleasant Grove. I like both ideas.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
10-20-2006 12:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Cache Valley cook-off
Joe,
That was fast. I think a sanctioned event would be fun. I'm not sure what kinda turn out we'd get but I'm game.
I just went through the member list of the Assn. for C.V. residents and not to many members tell us where they live. I have a list of my Traeger customers that I'll once again ask to join us and even post messages. They must be shy.
Gene
10-20-2006 01:31 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Yeah, it wouldn't be a bad thing to just put on a non-sanctioned event. That way, it could be like a "free trial", and if they wanted to go bigger next year, we could make it the real deal. If my keyboard here at work wasn't screwed up again, I'd type up a good proposal for the guy and go from there!

-joe

Get your smoke on...
10-20-2006 01:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

C.V. BBQ contest
Joe, and others,
The more I think about it maybe a for fun event would be better as a first time happening. Then we could iron out the wrinkles for '08 if they want to do it again. Maybe butt and ribs for this session would be enough also. Thoughts?
10-22-2006 11:23 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

I'm still conversing with him. He asked a question last week that made me think he really has a good idea of what's going on.

Butts and ribs would be fun, but he suggested that they might like a full-on KCBS event as well. Well see soon enough. Good work bringing this to us, Gene!

-joe

Get your smoke on...
10-23-2006 11:48 AM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Sounds great to me Gene. I'll plan on being there. I think an all out event would be great. I'm willing to cook anything. One or all it makes no difference to me. I just love to Que. I think if we realy want to wow people we need to put on a show. And getting permission for sampling would be a great help too. I'm willing to help with whatever you need.
10-23-2006 07:40 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Cache Valley BBQ Contest
"Mmmm BBQ" (H. Simpson)
Wow, I'm taken aback by the reads on this post and the help offers. Thanks all.
Ok, let's go for broke and do a KCBS sanctioned cookoff. What the heck. I'm thinking that Cache Valley is a sleeping giant for the BBQ world. All be it that most of 'em don't what real Q is, or how to cook it, or what it's supposed to look like, taste like, etc. It's high time we open their eyes and taste buds. And I think the UtahBBQ Assn. can do just that.
Joe, what else do I need to secure? Has Dave responded any more?
Is the 18-19th of May '07 set in concrete then?
Gene
10-24-2006 07:40 PM
Z Offline

Hey Gene,

April and I would also be definite participants in this event! The more local ones the merrier, it'll save us on Gas and Lodging! Smile From the looks of the local support, there is room for more competitions through out the State. Anything we can do to help, just let us know.

Z and April

"Put your barbeque where your mouth is"
10-24-2006 10:57 PM
Pegleg Offline

Gene,

Count us in to help as well!! Our family is in the process of forming our own BBQ team but I don't think we'll be ready to compete, (college has a way of getting in the way of everything). Just let us know when you need us and what we can do to help and we'll scoot right over the hill!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
10-25-2006 07:30 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

Gene,

The last I got from Dave said that they are still trying to decide whether they can and/or should do it at all.

Keep in mind that the decision to do a sanctioned even is not ours, it is theirs. There's a lot that they would be responsible for should it be sanctioned by KCBS. We can help them with some of it, but not all. A "for fun" event can be run many different ways, and all it has to do is work. A sanctioned event which must meet specific requirements. I'd suggest we ease them into it, but we'll see what it is they want to do, first, if anything. I'd LOVE to see an event up there, but it's not up to us.

Wouldn't hurt if you'd look around for other venues...

-joe

Get your smoke on...
10-25-2006 09:34 AM
2PigsSmokinB Offline

The 2 Pigs will be there to have some fun. Sounds like a fun event.
10-25-2006 09:46 AM
Rodney Offline

The Ash Kickers would love to be there, whatta ya say Joe?

"It is better to have burnt and lost, then never to have barbecued at all" - William Shakespeare
10-25-2006 10:07 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

Rodney Wrote:The Ash Kickers would love to be there, whatta ya say Joe?

Hmmm, let me think....YES! Duh... :mrgreen:

-joe

Get your smoke on...
10-25-2006 10:57 AM
Unregistered

Hoochie plans to be there... 8)
10-25-2006 05:01 PM
Quote this message in a reply
BBQMama Offline

The "sistahs" will be there too ... watch out boys!!
10-25-2006 09:49 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Cache Valley cookoff
Ok, folks that sounds like a lot of interest is getting stirred up for this. I'll touch bases with Logan City Parks and Recreation and look for a date in June as a back-up in case the A.W.H.C. doesn't pan out. Always good to have plan a "B" or even "C".
Gene
10-26-2006 04:09 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

BBQMama Wrote:The "sistahs" will be there too ... watch out boys!!

Bring it, Sistah! We'll kick your Ash! Tongue

-joe

Get your smoke on...
10-26-2006 10:57 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

A Cache Valley BBQ Contest
Hey everyone,
I left a message for the LOgan Parks director today about doing a contest in Logan in June. He didn't return my call yet. I was thinking of a plan B if the other one falls thru in May.
More later.
10-31-2006 09:19 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I tried touching bases with David from the American West Heritage Center about the cook-off in May. No real person, left a message.
I am also thinking about doing one during the Cache Co. fair. We'd already have the crowd there, etc. It's the 2nd week-end of August, practice for the Ut. State Championship. Thoughts - everyone!!
Gene
11-19-2006 09:53 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

ready for action
hey, gene... you might remember me as the guy who just moved to the valley in august. we exchanged a few messages and then i kinda disappeared. got busy with settling in, then busy with work, then busy with a dutch oven cooking class, then started finishing the basement... man, am i good with excuses or what? anyway, i've been catching up on the posts on this site over the last few days. an event here in logan would go over great i'm sure. let me know what i can do to help. i currently have no experience with competition cooking but have almost worn out my great smokey mountain unit cooking for myself and friends. if you're ever at the north logan library, i'm the round guy in overalls that can often be seen just to the north surrounded by great clouds of smoke... stop and say hi...
12-15-2006 01:18 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

All-righty then, how far north of the library? D.O. classes, :? I thought EVERYONE in Cache Valley knew how that was done. I think it's BBQ they need to learn about now. Big Grin
12-15-2006 04:31 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Can some of us in Idaho come play too :wink:

PackerBacker

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
12-15-2006 05:16 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Sure PB, but not just some, the more the merrier. All we have to do is get someone off of TDC. You car guys oughta know that term.
12-15-2006 06:00 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I plan on being there and will help in any way I can. Just give me a call.
12-15-2006 06:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Results of the Huntsville Smokin' Valley BBQ Challenge Pegleg 2 1,196 07-07-2011 10:33 PM
Last Post: tipsforBBQ
  July 1st and 2nd Huntsville, Smokin' Valley BBQ Challenge Pegleg 7 2,174 03-15-2011 10:50 PM
Last Post: Three4Que