Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Very good info from Dave Klose
SmokinJoe Offline

Very good info from Dave Klose
Here's the text from a few posts by Dave Klose on the BBQ Forum regarding curing a pit, and cooking on it!

Curing a pit
A new bbq pit should be cured like a new iron skillet. You may chose to rub the inside of the pit with pam, peanut oil, cooking oils, or even bacon grease left over from bacon cooked on the stove. Light the pit with a medium fire, say 22O degrees for those of you with smokers. Choke the smokestack control about ½ and let it smoke heavily. A few hours is good, the longer the better. A pit will cure w/o oils, but the buildup of the resin base on the doors etc, doesn’t seem to hold very well over the years it seems. I have made maybe 1oo,ooo bbq pits, noticing the pits seated w/ oils seem to produce better gains in ones cooking abilities. Once again, be careful w/ green woods. Some will produce very bitter tastes. Don’t ever use green mesquite in a smoker. On the subject of heat retention, I have seen people use moving blankets to retain heat during rain storms, cold snaps, & jack daniel’s holidays away from the pit on super-bowl Sunday, with great success. Another interesting trick, in a grill, is to line the charcoal up in anâ€

-joe

Get your smoke on...
10-18-2006 05:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

David Klose is a character to say the least... Will talk your arm off and then some, and has more stories than there is time in the day.... But a really nice fellow, who builds a great pit/smoker, and is a "legend" in BBQ in my books... You ever get the chance to hang with him, do so... I had the chance to spend a couple of days with him this past spring, along with Bill Milroy (Texas Rib Rangers)... Saw his $200k+ "Bling Bling" pit (featured earlier this summer in the NY Times), with hot/cold running water, gold plated wheels, polished brass faucets, satellite and big screen TV, stereo system, refrigerated ice chests, and pole dancers...

Well, everything but the dancin' girls... :wink:

David likes a good seegar as well, and maybe a little Jack to sip on... So if you bring along a little, you will be his best friend forever... 8)

Good info, Joe... Thanks....
10-18-2006 09:59 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Gumbo Offline

Here it is, in case you haven't seen it:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbqpits.com/unique_bbq_smokers/index_bling_2006.htm">http://www.bbqpits.com/unique_bbq_smoke ... g_2006.htm</a><!-- m -->
10-19-2006 07:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply