Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recommended BBQ Books
Pegleg Offline

Recommended BBQ Books
I have been cooking on WSM for about five years and have turned out some great Q. The recipies I have been using I've gotten from the internet. I would like to buy two or three barbeque books and was wondering if you would provide some recommendations as to which ones you would suggest. I am also planning to buy an offset in the next few months so I can cook for my entire family and not just a few at a time. I was going to buy another WSM until I saw the New Braunfields Rodney from Ash Kickers had -- thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
09-28-2006 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Hey, Lyle...

Peace, Love & Barbecue by Mike Mills and his daughter is one of my favorites... Also, I think almost anything by Paul Kirk and Dr. BBQ (aka Ray Lampe) will be great to have in your personal collection...

As to an offset - well, a lot of that may depend on what you want to spend... And if you are looking for a "backyard" smoker or a "mobile" smoker/pit...

The Smoke Ring forum has a category on cookers/smokers, and in that category is a topic section that lists a lot of the smoker manufacturers out there ("Pit Builders List Updated 6/9/06") that should help you in beginning the selection process as well...

Yell back if you have more questions on certain models, and maybe someone can give you some insight...
09-28-2006 11:54 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

I wholeheartedly agree with Hoochie's book recommendations. You can get the PL&B book and Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook for $12.48 at the link below. Just scroll down to "Buy Together".

Amazon

I have both of these as well as Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue and they are all excellent. The thing I like about PL&B is all the history and stories.

John
09-28-2006 12:32 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Heh...you COULD go through Patio Daddio's link and give HIM the kickback, or you could do it right here from the front page our our very own beloved UtahBBQ website! :o) Just messin'. The important thing is that you get the books.

I'd heartily agree on the Mike Mills book. Too bad you weren't at our July fundraiser where you could have won one of two SIGNED copies! :o)

That's really a fine book. Also, Ray Lampe's Big-Time BBQ book, and another favorite of mine - "Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses".

-joe

Get your smoke on...
09-28-2006 04:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Sorry Joe, I always forget about those referral links.

John
09-28-2006 04:50 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Just messin' with you, John. Feel free to do that any time. :o) I'm going to be doing something a little different with Amazon once I complete the "new" site...

-joe

Get your smoke on...
09-28-2006 05:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Z Offline

Hey Pegleg,

One of our favorites is; "BBQ USA" by Steve Raichlen, where none of the recipes are his own, he travels across the country to restaurants, competitions and backyards and gets the best of all their recipes. We also like Paul Kirks "Championship Barbeque", Bobby Flay's "Boy gets Grill", Steve Raichlen's "How to Grill", "Barbeque Bibles; Sauces, Rubs and Marinades" and "Barbeque Bibles; Beer-Can Chicken [and 74 Other Offbeat Recipes For The Grill]" We would be more than happy to loan you or anyone else on the site any of these books. We have had the most success when we take recipes out of these books that look good and alter them by taking away and adding ingredients to make them our own. We have also used a lot of grilling rubs and spices on barbeque and have found them to work just as well as barbeque rubs. Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Z and April

“Put your barbeque where your mouth isâ€
09-28-2006 09:35 PM
Pegleg Offline

THANK YOU so much for the information. Z, I appreciate the offer of the loan but I am going to start ordering the books in the next few weeks. On a personal note, I have been going to school part time since the summer of 2002 with four semesters left until my degree. I’m on call 24/7 at work and my time is somewhat limited to do much of anything else; associating with you folks of the UBBQA have been a refreshing relief valve. I never thought that we would ever taking BBQ to the next level, especially becoming a certified judge. I was pleasantly surprised when my wife agreed to go with me to help out at the Rock-N-Ribs Fest, after that experience we were hooked. When a family member inquired about what we were doing and why, my wife summed up our thoughts by telling them that the people in the BBQ world are great to be around because everyone is treated the same and that we have never met a friendlier group of people. Sorry about the long post. Thanks for your acceptance and we look forward to meeting more of you, hopefully sooner than later.

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
09-30-2006 07:36 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

BBQ Book
One of my Favorite books is The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen It has over 500 recipes sure to tantilize your taste buds in one way or the other. He tarveled all around the world and gotten some of the best receipes I've tried. One of my favorites is the Jemaican Jerk receipe.
You can make it as hot as you want. I prefer 8 to 10 Habaneros. Its enough to make your eyeballs sweat.
09-30-2006 09:27 PM