Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
That devil Rust
nashby Offline

That devil Rust
I noticed at the Rockin Ribs that all of the smokers in sight were Black and beautiful. Not a lick of rust on any of them that I could see. My smoker is always covered in rust, especially the firebox. What is the secret to keeping the rust off of these cast iron beauties? Is it constant painting?? If so, what is the best paint?
09-28-2006 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gumbo Offline

After the next cook and when the firebox has cooled but is still warm, apply a coat of veg oil. The next time you cook, it will begin to form a pentene like on a dutch oven. Repeat after each cook as needed.
09-28-2006 11:15 AM
Unregistered

The Rustoleum High Heat (1200*) paint is pretty good, but I find it leaves a bit of a powdery residue that can be a little messy. The vegetable oil patina idea sounds interesting, but I just wire brush and paint as needed.

John
09-28-2006 12:38 PM
Quote this message in a reply
2PigsSmokinB Offline

If you have rust, wirebrush and repaint the area with a high heat paint, then take a can of PAM or any type of cooking oil and rub it on. Then build a fire and let it cure. This does help.
09-28-2006 02:06 PM
Z Offline

Hey Nashby,

We have found that bringing the smoker up to temp and taking a rag coated with vegtable oil and wiping it down on the outside keeps it from rusting. The only drawback is, it collects dust, so you have to do it everytime before you cook. The food we cook on the inside releases grease so we have never had this problem on the inside. Hope this was of some help.

Z and April

"Put your barbeque where your mouth is"
09-28-2006 09:42 PM