Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help Wanted
SmokinJoe Offline

Help Wanted
Originally, this post started out asking for folks who were interested in organizing BBQ events. Now I'd like to expand it a bit...

When we first started this Association, we wanted to open it up to more member involvement by forming a Steering Committee. This body would be comprised of individuals from the general membership of the organization, and each member of the SC would actually be the Chairperson for a sub-committee responsible for a particular area of interest or activity, such as a particular cookoff, or public relations, or product development, newsletter, etc...Now that we're looking at some downtime here at the end of the season, I'd really like to get this moving.

I know that many of you have written or said that you're willing to do "whatever is needed"...well, tell me/us what youre interested in. The ideas presented so far for committees have been:

Events
Fundraising
Membership
Newsletter
PR
Merchandising
Web page development

If you are interested in taking part in any of these, or if you have ideas for other, let me know. Let's get some volunteering going, and some activity started, and start steering this organization into the future!

-joe

Get your smoke on...
09-15-2006 11:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Joe - I do software development (specializing in the web) for a living, so I would certainly be available for consulting and/or development. I don't know that I have the time to head this up, but if need be I can give it a shot.

John
09-15-2006 10:06 PM
Quote this message in a reply
T Offline
Posting Freak

I would like to give the PR end a try?

keep it low-n-slow

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
09-15-2006 10:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
phatch Offline

I'm a technical writer so I'm available for newsletter work.

Phil
09-16-2006 10:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

T Wrote:I would like to give the PR end a try?

keep it low-n-slow

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->

"T"? Do you know, "T"+PR= The Packers Rock! All Kidding aside, PR = Peoples Respect, and you have that my friend! So go for it! :wink:

PACKERBACKER

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
09-16-2006 10:26 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

PatioDaddio Wrote:Joe - I do software development (specializing in the web) for a living, so I would certainly be available for consulting and/or development. I don't know that I have the time to head this up, but if need be I can give it a shot.

John

Sounds good, John. Not looking at anything too in-depth, just possibly some single pages once in a while for specific events and such that would provide information, possibly payment, signups, etc. Sound like something you'd be interested in?

-joe

Get your smoke on...
09-19-2006 10:40 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

T,

You got it! Now, I'm not exactly asking you or anyone else to be the sole person to do all the work. I'm asking for people to step up and head up a group to take charge and accomplish the goals of the organization through a particular channel.

For PR, for instance, you might want to get someone to build a list of contact information for food editors of all the newspapers in the state, or even surrounding states. Contacts at TV and radio stations. Build a database of this information, and create lines of communication for whenever we need to get the word out about something.

I've long considered you to be the "face of BBQ in Utah", regardless of what some trolls in the area seem to think, and I think you'd be a GREAT spokesperson for the organization.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
09-19-2006 10:45 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

Re: Help Wanted
Thought I would take a little time to explain my thinking here a bit.

I'm not asking for a single person to take charge and organize all events, or do all the fundraising, etc...what I DO want is for people to step up and head up a group that will be in charge of a particular area of operations. Make sense?

SmokinJoe Wrote:Events
Fundraising
Membership
Newsletter
PR
Merchandising
Web page development

So, the Events person (That's actually Hoochie, come to think of it!) would actually head up a group of people that will be in charge of planning events, like cookoffs, classes, etc. Whenever someone comes to the Association saying "Hey, so and so is interested in having a cookoff at their venue" or something similar, this would be the group that would pursue the opportunity and get the details worked out.

The Fundraising group should be pretty self-explanatory, but they would be the ones to come up with the ideas for fundraisers for the organization, and work with the Events people to get it happening.

The Membership folks would be the people to come up with ideas for increasing our membership, as well as benefits and services for our members...

By "Merchandising", what I mean is someone to operate our CafePress and Amazon store(s), manipulate graphics on products, add new products, organize the products, etc. Basically take charge of our online stores.

Make sense? I've already made some strides in each of these areas, but I really can't do it all myself. We'd progress more as an Association if I had the manpower, know what I mean?

-joe

Get your smoke on...
09-19-2006 11:06 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

phatch Wrote:I'm a technical writer so I'm available for newsletter work.

Phil,

Ever do any newsletters? What I'm thinking of is something that would be printed for the members, and then put into PDF format for download as well.

We could have several different contributors and monthly features...

Got any samples of work you've done?

-joe

Get your smoke on...
09-19-2006 11:08 AM
Unregistered

SmokinJoe Wrote:Sounds good, John. Not looking at anything too in-depth, just possibly some single pages once in a while for specific events and such that would provide information, possibly payment, signups, etc. Sound like something you'd be interested in?

Sure! Can do easy.

John
09-19-2006 12:10 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Pegleg Offline

Joe,
I can help on events, PR, fundraising or wherever the help is needed. I am taking four classes this semester in college so my time does not permit me to head anything up, but I will be able to help in the group that needs an extra hand.

Thanks,

Lyle
09-19-2006 02:00 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

SmokinJoe Wrote:

T,

You got it! Now, I'm not exactly asking you or anyone else to be the sole person to do all the work. I'm asking for people to step up and head up a group to take charge and accomplish the goals of the organization through a particular channel.

For PR, for instance, you might want to get someone to build a list of contact information for food editors of all the newspapers in the state, or even surrounding states. Contacts at TV and radio stations. Build a database of this information, and create lines of communication for whenever we need to get the word out about something.

I've long considered you to be the "face of BBQ in Utah", regardless of what some trolls in the area seem to think, and I think you'd be a GREAT spokesperson for the organization.

Joe as I said in my last post T is the person that can do the job, From the first time I met him, I knew he was a class act!

T, my friend ,do as you do!

PACKERBACKER

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
09-19-2006 09:01 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Dave, thanks so much for your kind words my bother, and you know that I feel the same way about you. I think this coming year the BBQ scene in Utah is going to be interesting. We are already in motion on a couple of things. Spoke with a couple of my California fellow cooks and I guess they have a big cook this weekend? I kid those guys about the weather they have year round, but then again Dave our weather makes us versatile as you will see my friend. Best of luck to you guys, J and his wonderful wife, Rex, Mark, Gary in your up and coming competition. I realize that you all can't win but your winners with me. Glad to call you all my friends and thanks for all you've done for BBQ!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

09-21-2006 05:20 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Re: Help Wanted
SmokinJoe Wrote:By "Merchandising", what I mean is someone to operate our CafePress and Amazon store(s), manipulate graphics on products, add new products, organize the products, etc. Basically take charge of our online stores.

I can throw part of my hat in the ring for the Merchandising, I have not sold through Amazon or CafePress (I am willing to learn their systems), but I have bought and sold elsewhere, or I will be willing to give a hand if someone else wants to take the front seat, and just needs items packaged and posted, I can do that too!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
10-01-2006 04:48 PM
phatch Offline

SmokinJoe Wrote:
phatch Wrote:I'm a technical writer so I'm available for newsletter work.

Phil,

Ever do any newsletters? What I'm thinking of is something that would be printed for the members, and then put into PDF format for download as well.

We could have several different contributors and monthly features...

Got any samples of work you've done?

Sorry for the delay. I missed that this had been updated. I haven't been on the site as much either with my kids back in school.

Yes, I've done newsletters. PDF work too.

The more contributors, the livelier and better the newsletter would be.

Again, sorry for the delay.

Phil
10-03-2006 01:12 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Chris, Phil...thanks for stepping up.

Chris, as far as merchandising goes, we have the CafePress store which requires selecting products, placing the logos and other graphics on the products, etc. We should get together soon, either over the phone or at my place, and we can go over it and see what you think.

Phil, if you're willing to head up the newsletter, you can start anytime! :o) Call me this weekend at 792 8035 or email me at joe at utahbbq.org to go over a few things, but otherwise, let's start taking ideas!

What say, everyone? Any ideas for columns or features? How about volunteers for writers?

-joe

Get your smoke on...
10-06-2006 12:30 PM
phatch Offline

Column ideas in a brainstorm dump

spice column. each time talk about a spice, it's varieties, and uses. And sources for odd spices.

A sauce column would be good

Book reviews Lots of Q books out there

Food reviews This is problematic as there aren't lots of places to review in this cuisine in this area. If you branch out into some of the ethnic variations you get some more, but it's not what we focus on here. I suppose in the off months it could include commercial BBQ product sauces, rubs, marinades, prefab Q (lloyds and such)

Equipment reviews Probably ought to have members do a write up on the different rigs they own. From the ECB on up.

Event calendar and writeups of events, whether local or not, appearances, TV shows of interest and so on.

Kitchen how tos From knife sharpening and skills to butchering to managing rubs and sauces?

personalities? Each issue interview a restauranteur or seller (wood, equipment maybe a manufacturer? a muckety-muck member of the utahbbqa?

Maybe a coupon corner for a local retailer purchase of charcoal, meat, spices, or something?

Need a recipe section of course.

Technique? How to fake the Q on a two burner gas grill, work a Weber kettle, a WSM, Side fired boxes and so on? Care for your equipment.
10-07-2006 10:11 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Email me or phone me with some times that are possible for you, and I will match up when or what, etc!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
10-12-2006 02:57 PM