Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
9-11
SmokinJoe Offline

9-11
Was really hoping that I wouldn't have to work today, but with all the other stuff I've had to do this calendar year, I've burned up almost all of my paid time off, as well as UNpaid time off.

I've been wanting a large pit for some time, and one of the things I always saw myself doing with it was cooking for the Fire and Police Departments on 9-11. Y'know, parking the rig out in front of one of the stations, and having volunteers picking up ribs and sausages and such from local grocers, retailers and such, and others delivering the cooked goods to the men and women that look after our safety.

Not trying to be sappy, but this day means more to me than the 4th of July anymore. I've had family members and friends get shipped off, and I sit and watch the reports that show that our people are STILL being killed at the hands of these terrorists.

If you have the time and the motivation today, cook something up - BBQ, American style! - and take it to those that spend their days helping others.

Maybe in the coming years, if anyone is interested, we'll do something more organized!

Just a thought...

-joe

Get your smoke on...
09-11-2006 10:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Great thoughts there Joe,, we need to get somthing going for next year. I tried to get the Idaho cooks together last weekend, only had two reply then one canceled, or I should say would be late getting here, then as of fri pm no call back from the fire dept on a head count for dinner. So I called it off. then Sat at 3pm, they called me. I ended up going and getting a brisket and a butt, took it to them sun for dinner. When I dropped the food off we talked just a bit about 911,

" Never Forget"

DAVE

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
09-11-2006 04:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T Offline
Posting Freak

I would be up for the group thing just let me know? We have had my restaurant for nine good years now, and one of the things that Becci and I have always done is take food by the different fire stations here in West Valley to show the respect and appreciation that we have for those guys and the job they do. When ever we vend food at events we hook the Police officers up with what ever. We have been blessed to be in the position that we are in, and we love sharing. The restaurant is a family owned situation and there are times we close for holidays and to not waste any food these organizations get it. This has been are way of saying thanks guys. Lets do it!

keep it low-in-slow

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
09-12-2006 12:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pegleg Offline

Joe,
That's a GREAT idea. Hopefully by this time next year I will have a larger smoker to cook on. Just say the word and we'll be there!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
09-12-2006 06:45 AM
2PigsSmokinB Offline

Joe I know 2 Pigs that would be interested in helping out. I think any appreciation shown is well deserved to those who help us out in time of trouble.
09-12-2006 09:11 AM
BBQUte Offline

Excellent idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great idea I would like to help next year.
09-12-2006 05:47 PM