Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brisket and a Pellet Grill
wallywombat Offline

Brisket and a Pellet Grill
Has anyone out there done a briskett on a Pellet Grill? If so what are your trickes & trade secrets? My wife and I are going to try one this weekend and i would appreciate any advice we can get as we venture into a new realm of BBQ.

We have done short ribs several times and haven't been dissappointed, so hopefully this will be a success as well. Big Grin
08-10-2006 04:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Try this, it works for me:

1. get a brisket with lots of fat.
2. put a dry rub on it.
3. leave in fridge overnight wrapped in saran wrap.
4. Cooker with thermostat set to smoke, mesquite pellets or your choice.
5. briskit in disposable aluminum pan with fattest side up.
6. smoke for 8 hours (about 210 degrees or so). baste with juices
collecting in pan whenever you feel like it. (we basted 3 times).
7. pull out of the cooker and let it rest 15 minutes.
8. slice pieces aginst the grain.
9. serve with quartered raw onion, some bread,and BBQ sauce if that is
your preference. I thought it was prefect without sauce.
08-10-2006 10:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Also, here is two sites for pellet cookers:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/traegergrills/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/traegergrills/</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums">http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums</a><!-- m -->

Hope this helps, what kind of pellet machine you got??
08-10-2006 10:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wallywombat Offline

Thanks
We might have to give that recipe a try.....

My machine is a rocky Mounta Grill. It's the same style as the Traeger Lil' Tex. When I bought it my wife wasn't that thrilled. then we started cooking on it and now she loves it.
08-11-2006 08:39 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Sounds good. I've got a Traeger 070 (same as yours) and a 075. if you want to try 100% pure hickory pellets, let me know, I've got some you can try.
08-11-2006 01:57 PM
wallywombat Offline

the Hickory pellets were the first ones we tried.....made everything taste so good.... We are experimenting with some of the others types now. Wouldn't be surprised if my wife wants to use mesquite for the brisket as that she is from Texas...

Are you a dealer or just love your pellets? Who sells pellets around here?
08-11-2006 02:09 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

The local Traeger dealer is Back Yards of America on 7200 South, they carry Traeger pellets which are 40%Alder/60%Hickory. I use Branch Creek pellets (100%).
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbqwoodpellets.com/">http://www.bbqwoodpellets.com/</a><!-- m -->
08-11-2006 03:01 PM
wallywombat Offline

Well I thought I would let you know how it went.... I let my wife drive on this one as that she is the brisket lover. We whipped up a real basic rub using seasoning salt as well as few other spices and some brown sugar. We put it on the briskett friday night. On saturday morning we fired up the ole pellet machine with a Hickory/mesquite/cherry blend and set it on the smoke level and we were off an running. Through out the day we "spritzed" it with some apple juice. We let it cook around 10 hours. the smell in out backyard was great all day long.

The briskett turned out ok for our first attempt. the thin end was a little tough, but the thiker end of the brisket was excellent. We were both happy with the flavor, espcially for our firt run with a brisket.

My goal now is to do a pork but.
08-14-2006 03:19 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Pellet Grills
"Mmmm BBQ" (H. Simpson)
Iv'e been using my Traeger for a few years now but have just recently tried Traegers pecan pellets. Give them a try sometime. While doing a demo @ the Cache County Fair last week-end I got very positive comments about the flavor of chicken and pork loin using those pellets.
Gene
The Grill Shoppe - Logan
08-14-2006 10:55 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Brisket on pellet Grill
This is the best Brisket receipe I've ever tried. It takes a long time but it is well worth the wait.
1- 10lb. whole brisket
1/4 c salt
3 T. Traeger Beef Shake
2 T. fresh black pepper
2 T. Paprika
1 T. Cumin
1 T. Allspice
1 T. Garlic powder
Combine dry ingredients in a glass bowl. Trim fat cap to 1/8th inch thick. Trim out any fat pockets. Lightly coat entire brisket with rub mixture. Start pellet grill on medium for 10 min. Place brisket on grid, fat side up. Cook 3 hours on medium, then switch to smoke for 4 hours. Take brisket off grill and wrap on heavy-duty foil, then place on grill and continue to cook on medium 2-3 hours. Remove brisket from grill, carefully unwrap foil and cook at medium for additional 3 hours to finish. Remove brisket from grill, allow to rest for 15 minutes. Slice brisket against the grain and Enjoy.
I've tried this with Hickory, Mesquite and Pecan pellets they all turned out great. The receipe calls for a 50/50 mix of Maple and Mesquite.
08-15-2006 09:00 PM
wallywombat Offline

That sounds live a good recipe..... I'll have to try it the next time we want briskett.
08-16-2006 01:13 PM