Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any tips on brisket?
Tuff Offline

Any tips on brisket?
I'm preparing a brisket for a neighborhood BBQ tomorrow night at 6:00.
How long should I cook it.

Here is my plan:

I have trimmed and applied the rub already and it is resting in the fridge.

I think I need to smoke it for about 12 hours so I will put it in the smoker at about 6am at about 180-190* and let my mesquite and apple wood mix do its work for about 4 hours. I don't want to over smoke!

after 4 hours I'll probably raise the heat to 200* and let er rip!

The last 1 1/2 hours I think I will begin mopping a bulls-eye BBQ sauce mixed with brown sugar over the meat and raise the heat to 300* to try to put a nice caramelized bark over it to finish it off nice.

So what do you think about my game plan? Will it work?
Its a little different then I have tried before so I'm a little nervous.
07-21-2006 08:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aboutbbq Offline

Tuff,

First of all, what do you mean by trimmed? I'm hoping you still have a good thick layer of fat on your brisket. Without the fat it will dry out and get tough.

As for time you typically need about 1 1/2 hours per pound on a brisket. If you are shooting for a low temperature, around 180 degrees you are looking at closer to 2 hours per pound.

As for putting the sauce on, remember this. Sugar burns at 265 degrees. If you sauce and turn up the heat to 300 you are going to get burnt sugar all over your brisket. Most commercial sauces like Bulls-Eye have about as much sugar as a snickers bar so I would suggest either saucing in the last ten to fifteen minutes or keeping the temperature well below 265.
07-21-2006 09:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Hey I'm glad I posted this.

I still have a good fat layer so I shood be fine there, but I am really glad you told me about the time and the sugar.

I could have been on the road for desaster.
07-21-2006 10:18 PM
Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

The main factor is pre-cooked weight.

aboutbbq Wrote:I'm hoping you still have a good thick layer of fat on your brisket. Without the fat it will dry out and get tough.

Leave 1/4 to 1/8 inch of fat over all.

Upto 7lbs, 8 - 10 hours at 230 - 250 start fat side up turn over and end for end at 1/2 way timing point 4 - 5 hours, turn over and end for end at 3/4 timing piont 6 - 8 hours.

7 - 12 lbs, 12 - 16 hours at 230 - 250 start fat side up turn over and end for end at 1/2 way timing point 6 - 8 hours, turn over and end for end at 3/4 timing piont 9 - 12 hours.

From the 3/4 point spritz every half hour with apple juice from a spray bottle, be quick about it so your temperatures don't nosedive.

These times and temps are fram Paul Kirks book and worked well for my first brisket.

He also suggests notching the corners of the uncooked brisket to give you a clue where the grain is when it is cooked, this minute of work needs to be done before cooking and is well worth the time to do, as it makes slicing across the grain much easier once the brisket is cooked.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
07-21-2006 10:22 PM
Unregistered

Now won't the thin portion be done a lot quicker then the thick portion?

How do I get it cooked evenly?
07-21-2006 10:30 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

I'm no expert, especially in brisket and, as always with things BBQ, YMMV. But...

I'm assuming that you're talking about a packer and not a flat, right? I don't think you're allowing yourself enough time to bring the brisket to "ready", and the reason I say this is because brisket is notorious for an excruciatingly lengthy plateau. It's going to seem like it stalls coming up to temp. I've had one of my first briskets stay at about 175* for nearly 4 hours and I thought I was really screwing it up or something was wrong in my cooker. But no, it's the nature of that cut of meat to hang out at a particular temp and just take its time - and this is a good thing. This is when the collagen and other fatty and connective tissue is breaking down, adding flavor and tenderizing the meat.

Now, I think you're starting temp is too low, as would be your remaining cooking temp. You're only allowing yourself 12 hours, and I've never had a brisket take less than that - always 2-6 hours more! I don't think you're on the road to ruin with this plan, but I don't think it's going to be ready in 12 hours. Remember, there's a big difference between "done" and "ready". "Done" would be when the meat is up to the FDA recommended temp, which would be 165 or so, right? That brisket, if only brought to 165, would not be edible. But, bring that sucker up to 190-200, you got yourself a treat. Then it's "ready".

I think what I'm going to try with this next brisket is start with a higher temp, say 250-275, and let it ride until it hits its plateau, then cut back to about 190-210 and roll with it for as long as it takes. If I'm not mistaken, I think I heard Paul Kirk say that to Rick Browne on a "BBQ America" segment".

With good BBQ, it's done when it's done and you can't hurry it and expect good results.

Once it's done, I like to separate the point from the flat, add more rub to the newly exposed meat on the point, and put it back on the smoke for another hour or two. I've never been disappointed!

Enjoy the cook and let us know how it turns out - with pics! Smile

-joe

Get your smoke on...
07-21-2006 11:13 PM
Tuff Offline

Ok the brisket has been in since about 7:00 am. I got home late from work this morning and so my time is even shorter now, so I separated the point from the flat to hopefully shorten the cook time.
I hate feeling like I am rushed but I should at least have 12 hours before people start eating.
I went with smoking Joes advice also and raised the temp to 250*
Here is a view of the scene.

[Image: normal_BBQ_Brisket_7-22.jpg]
07-22-2006 08:24 AM
Tuff Offline

Here is a view after 9 hours (4:00pm) Inside temperature is 155* (or medium rare)
[Image: normal_Brisket.jpg]

This is the best picture I could get due to heat and smoke :-)
07-22-2006 04:01 PM
Tuff Offline

What is funny is the amount of neighbors who keep stopping by wondering what smells so good. :-)
07-22-2006 04:19 PM
Tuff Offline

Here is a picture of the finished point. Cooked at 250* it took 10 hours to reach an internal temperature of 175, that's when I removed it and began carving. Man this brisket turned out GREAT!!!!!!
The flat reached 175* soon after and was removed after 12 hours of cooking.

[Image: normal_brisket%20bark.jpg]
I served the flat at our neighborhood party and it didn't last very long. I found a lot of my neighbors hadn't even visited a BBQ restaurant and the ones who had had only been to one or two. Nothing like a good brisket to convert a few BBQ fans. :o I think a few of them might even join me for the festivities at the rockin ribs festival in August.

Good luck to everyone who is Qing this weekend and I hope this thread helps someone else who is a novice at the pit.
Thank you everyone for your advise. I learned a lot!
07-23-2006 02:17 PM
Unregistered

Tuff - If you think it was good this time, try this next time:

1) Pull it from the cooker at 190* internal (always check temps in the flat).
2) Spritz both sides liberally with apple juice.
3) Wrap it in plastic wrap, two layers of HD foil and an old towel.
4) Let it rest in an empty warm cooler for at least an hour (2-3 is better).
5) Unwrap, slice, sauce (if desired) and enjoy.

Try a few slices in a warm tortilla smeared with your favorite sauce. For breakfast, just add a spoonful of scrambled eggs.

John
Patio Daddio BBQ
07-23-2006 02:42 PM
Unregistered

P.S. I warm my cooler by putting a large Pyrex bowl or pan of boiled water (with the towel under it) in the bottom for a few minutes. Of course, in this heat you could just stick it in your car for a few. Big Grin
07-23-2006 02:45 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Hey there, Tuff. The brisket looks a little underdone, from what I can see. Did it have a texture closer to roast beef, or butter?

Good color on the smoke ring. Did you take the CBJ class? How would you score this brisket?

Inquiring minds, and all...I've never cooked a brisket that I would give 9s to...there was an 8 once in texture and flavor, but it was ugly. Big Grin

-joe

Get your smoke on...
07-24-2006 10:55 AM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

Re: Any tips on brisket?
once again, just reading through the forums ... ALERT ALERT ALERT ALERT!! I am about to ask a question I should know the answer to:

What is the "tip" and the "flat" when speaking about brisket?
01-12-2008 07:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BBQSki Offline

Check out this link - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.azbbqa.net/articles/brisket-trim.htm#">http://www.azbbqa.net/articles/brisket-trim.htm#</a><!-- m -->

The brisket contains two distinct, very different muscles separated by a layer of fat. This link shows how to separate the two muscles
01-12-2008 10:10 PM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

BBQSki;p="7217 Wrote:Check out this link - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.azbbqa.net/articles/brisket-trim.htm#">http://www.azbbqa.net/articles/brisket-trim.htm#</a><!-- m -->

The brisket contains two distinct, very different muscles separated by a layer of fat. This link shows how to separate the two muscles

I guess this is where my confusion comes in. I knew there were two muscles, I just didn't realize that they are separated before cooking ... is that "normal" ... if I can even say that??
01-12-2008 10:12 PM
BBQSki Offline

I would say "normally" people don't separate the muscles. I don't. Some people do (like Fast Eddy Maurin) and slice the flat, and cube the point to make burnt ends. Just saying burnt ends makes me salivate.
01-12-2008 10:16 PM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

Thanks ... that helps. I am hoping to get a WSM this week and am going to try a little of everything next weekend (ribs, butt, brisket and chicken) to make sure the WSM and I can agree on stuff. I'm reading EVERYTHING I can and getting quite confused as I go ...
01-12-2008 10:18 PM