Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Briskets?
Hook Offline

Briskets?
I got great feedback on where to buy beef ribs, so now I'm asking about briskets. I've had hit and miss with some local packing houses. :? Anyone have a special place or two for briskets?

Thanks
06-19-2006 01:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gumbo Offline

Hook, I buy mine at Super Wal-Mart. You can find both choice and select at the same price.
06-26-2006 12:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SmokinJoe Offline

That's pretty much the only place I can find them without breaking the bank. I learned from another UtahBBQA member this weekend that Macey's offers some decent brisket as well. Never tried theirs, myself.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
06-26-2006 01:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hook Offline

Thanks, gents. I'll try them both.

I found some really nice beef ribs at Albertsons. Going to do them tonight and briskets for the weekend.

Hook
06-26-2006 02:35 PM
Botch Offline

Like WalMart, Costco also has some nice briskets that I've had good luck with.

Ironically I used to get my briskets from Snyder's Meats, up here in Ogden. They're a very high-end butcher shop, but they trim all the fat off the briskets! It was a couple of seasons before I tried a Costco brisket that still had a good layer of fat on one side.

Made all the difference in the world. My briskets were great after that little discovery (and one-third the cost!).
09-25-2006 02:49 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Which Costco? I've asked at the one in Sandy and they don't carry packers. Never saw any flats there, either, but I've seen corned beef! Smile

-joe

Get your smoke on...
09-25-2006 05:54 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I think I saw them at the one off 5400 and State St, as I am not a Costco member I sneaked in with some friends, they actually look more expensive than Sam's Club which is where I have bought them from in the past.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
09-25-2006 06:31 PM
Pegleg Offline

I've bought them both at Sams Club here in Ogden and at Walmart. I got lucky one night at Wally World and found three packer trim briskets that were expiring that night. I hooked up with the store manager and he sold them all to me for $1.00 a pound, the smallest one was 14 pounds. I also found some nice pork shoulders and butts at the Riverdale store with yellow tags, (30% off), they start discounting them two days before the expiration date. I have started carrying a cooler with me just in case I run into more.

Lyle
09-25-2006 06:56 PM
Botch Offline

SmokinJoe Wrote:Which Costco? I've asked at the one in Sandy and they don't carry packers. Never saw any flats there, either, but I've seen corned beef! Smile
I've gotten them at the Costco in south Ogden, right across from the Newgate mall (don't know if its technically in Ogden, South Ogden, or Riverdale).
Newbie question: Packers? Flats?
09-26-2006 08:39 AM
Unregistered

brisket
I have called every store pricing brisket. walmat is by far the cheapest price around. tried meat wholesaler, sams and costco...walmart beats them all.
09-29-2006 09:43 AM
Quote this message in a reply
2PigsSmokinB Offline

Hey if you anywhere close to Ogden you can call Champion Meats. Talk to Scott. That is where I get all of my meat from. Tell him Jonathan and Richard said to call. A great guy. His shop is just off of Riverdale Road.
09-29-2006 11:40 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

Isn't there a place down in either American Fork or Spanish Fork, or somewhere thereabouts that does those deals when you buy a quater, side, or whole beef? I just can never remember the name!

-joe

Get your smoke on...
09-29-2006 02:01 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

brisket
Cosco and Sams Club both carry good Brisket. I bought one just yesterday at the cosco in ogden and Smoked it up for the Bee hive model A club. I also did 2 pork butts.
09-30-2006 09:32 PM