Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Trimming A Brisket
Unregistered

Trimming A Brisket
Ran across this tonight and felt it was sure worth sharing... From our Smokehead Brothers down south in Arizona:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.azbbqa.net/articles/brisket-trim.htm">http://www.azbbqa.net/articles/brisket-trim.htm</a><!-- m -->
05-09-2006 11:22 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Gumbo Offline

I saw that on the BBQ forum, but I guess I'm too big of a rookie to understand the benefits of separating the point from the flat before you cook. I think the flat benefits from the internal fat of the point to keep it moist. Sure it might be easier to make burnt ends--and your flat might look better for presentation. But for home joes, I don't see the benefit.

Here's the flat separated from the point after the flat was done (took all of 2 minutes, including removing that connecting fatty layer:
[Image: flat-point.jpg]
05-10-2006 07:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigpapaQ Offline

I think I agree with Gumbo, I don't see why you'd want to seperate the flat and the point. I beleive that the melting fat from the point helps baste the flat.

The only time that I seperate the two parts is to make pastrami or after I'm done cooking. Then they just pull apart.

Maybe I'm missing something and someone can explain it to me :?:

BigpapaQ
05-11-2006 06:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SmokinJoe Offline

I believe it's just preference, and to get more surface area for rub, smoke, bark. I can't really see any other benefit.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
05-12-2006 04:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply