Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What about on the side?
phatch Offline

What about on the side?
Redbones--er--Sugarhouse Barbecue has my favorite sides of the few Q joints I've visited in town. But they're missing some classics.

Coleslaw for one. I'm told I make a good one, but I rarely make it as my family won't eat it. Oddball things in mine are some dijon mustard and cumin. But they won't eat any coleslaw period so I suppose they're not being too critical.

I've had some mediocre potato salad too at the various 'cues When I make it myself I waffle between a couple of different types. In the classic mayo-mustard vein, I actually make a southern boiled dressing (James Beard and Jeff Smith's cookbooks have recipes). Or I make a vinegary hot bacon potato salad in the German style which I prefer with sausages and such.

As far as Q-joint potatoes go, I like the greek potatoes Sugarhouse makes. And something similar is easy to do.

Prep your potatoes. Small reds are classic but I often just peel and cut up some russetts.
Toss potatoes in olive oil.
Season with salt and pepper and place on a rimmed baking sheet or a large skillet (pre-heat if cast iron and it works great, otherwise, the cast-iron takes too long to heat up.)
Roast at 400 for about 15 minutes. Stir and turn them.
Add 1-2 cups of chicken stock, enough to come up about half way on the potato.
Let cook down until there is just a thin film of liquid in the bottom of the pan, about 10 miuntes more.
Meanwhile, mince some garlic and squeeze some lemon juice. Add a litte crumbled dried oregano
Stir and turn again. Test for doneness. If they need to cook more, you may need to add a bit more oil as well.

That Moab place makes a good smoked sweet potato. Good with a spicy barbecue sauce.

Just as they become tender, pour on the garlic and lemon mixture. Toss to coat. Slip back in the oven for a minute or two and then serve.

Corn bread is good. So are biscuits. But I usually skip the bread with Ribs and use a simple purchased bun for the sandwich 'cue.

A cucumber salad, with jalapenos and capers and dressed with a sweetened rice vinegar. Sort of a Thai dish I'm told.

One classic I always pass is baked beans. Sweet and beans just don't taste right to me. I've had one or two that almost made the grade. I'm hoping coalbucket will post his recipe. A Louisianna red beans and garlic rice is something I do like and goes well with smoky food, particularly sausage.

Phil
05-03-2006 07:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gumbo Offline

I'm not a huge slaw fan, but that's because most are bland. But on the rare occasion I find a good slaw, I love it. I have one recipe that I really like, which had dijon mustard in it too. I'd like to compare it with yours.

At Redbones (Sugarhouse BBQ), my favorite side is the cucumber salad. If you have a recipe for that I'd love it.

Beans: I don't like baked beans, nor do I like saucy bean that tastes like they just opened a can of Bush Beans and added sauce, leftover BBQ meat, etc. I personally like a charro style made from scratch, with onions, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, etc. I'll buy and smoke a cheap cut of meat, then add it to the beans. It turns out really good.
05-04-2006 07:27 AM
phatch Offline

I don't have their recipe. I've come close using a little olive oil, champagne vinegar, red onion, capers. I haven't fully figured out the herbs, but right now I'm leaning a bit towards herbes de provence. Dill and thyme, while good, aren't as good as theirs. A pinch of sugar can help too.

Phil
05-04-2006 07:52 AM
scbbqer Offline

Re: What about on the side?
Have you stopped by Q4U and tried the sides there? Being from the south, I can't think of any place that I've been that has better coleslaw than they do. (And as a general rule I hate coleslaw..but I can probably eat a gallon of their's) Another of my favorites from there is the black eyed peas. I think if I eat enough of them I'll be able to figure out the recipe or close to it..lol
-Bill
05-07-2006 09:27 PM
phatch Offline

Yes, I've been to Q4U. Their slaw was very different than any I'd had before. It was OK. I was surprised at how sweet it was.

I've not been to the south so I can't judge authenticity, just what I find enjoyable.

I had the potato salad as my other side when I was there. It too was decent. I've only been once and haven't tried their other sides.

Phil
05-08-2006 07:59 AM
Gumbo Offline

Q4U's beans are sweet, but not too sweet. I like them with their rice side. Famous Dave's baked beans are terrible.

I work not too far from Famous Dave's and the company orders lunch from FD's about once a month. So I eat it a lot. But I can't believe how poor the quality of food really is. The ribs are usually tough and burned. The brisket is tough, dry, and still contains a lot of connective tissue visible in each slice--and it either tastes like pot roast or has a bitter flavor. The beans are yankee white beans in a sweet syrup sauce, the slaw is like most, okay. But the chicken, corn muffins, and fries are good. It's sad when the best food at a chain BBQ joint is their burger and fries.
05-09-2006 07:03 AM
phatch Offline

I ate there once. I was disappointed in the ribs for much the same reasons. It seems the ribs are pre-cooked, which you have to for barbecue, but they reheat by slathering sauce and throwing it on the grill which chars the surface sugars on the ribs. If they would just hold them at serving temp, they could do a better job. You could please the health department with a 150 degree holding oven and properly wrapped, they could wait a few hours or two. They usually do similar things at the restaurants that specialize in prime ribs.

The menu says you can order the ribs unslathered. That might solve the problem with the charring when they reheat. If not, I suppose you could ask for them unslathered and ungrilled, just nuked.

I thought they had good sauces. As usual, I liked the mustard sauce the best, then the Devil's Spit I dont' remember the sides specifically, just that they weren't that good. It comes back to me now, they had a substandard potato salad. My wife had the fries and liked them. The chicken was good.

Phil
05-09-2006 08:08 AM
dishmonkey Offline

sugarhouse sides
i can't get too specific about the side recipes at sugarhouse ( we all signed confidentiality agreements) but the cucumber salad is super easy to make. Slice cucumbers into desired shape. fine chop or mince 1 onion(white, or go with my new favorite onion, the vidalia) julienne red and green bell peppers (1 or 2 of each)place all veg in a bowl, set aside. now the tricky part, mix white sugar and white vineagar, more vineagar than sugar, but not by much. stir to dissolve sugar, now mix in your favorite italian salad dressing, the same amt as the vineagar. mix marinade and pour over veg. either serve immediatly, or allow to marinate over night for better flavor
05-10-2006 08:41 AM
Rodney Offline

What about on the side?
I have been to Sugarhouse and Q4U and they both have some excellent sides. The best side you can have with some good Q is pickled jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese then wrapped with bacon. I guess being from the South that little bit of heat always makes things good. Also just wanted to say HI to everyone, new to the site but a veteran Q'er
05-10-2006 09:23 AM
phatch Offline

Thanks for sharing.
05-10-2006 09:50 AM
Gumbo Offline

Re: What about on the side?
Rodney Wrote:The best side you can have with some good Q is pickled jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese then wrapped with bacon.

ABTs! I love them. But I make them with fresh jalapenos--either cored or sliced in half. I mix the cream cheese with some leftover pulled pork and a little rub, then cover/wrap with a thin, cheap cut of bacon. Smoke until the bacon is crisp. Great stuff!!
05-11-2006 07:10 AM