Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Favorite Commercial BBQ sauce?
phatch Offline

Favorite Commercial BBQ sauce?
Sauce is something I haven't learned to do well yet. So I tend to use Stubbs Spicy barbecue sauce on home made Q. Most people are impressed with it over the other commonly available sauces.

On the other hand, I have a friend originally from Kansas City. Every year, he flies home in December to visit there. So I've got a bottle of barbecue sauce from different joints there as a Christmas gifts the last few years.

Right now I've got some Arthur Bryants and a bottle of Gates. I'd say they're both better than the Stubbs. I'd give the edge to the Arthur Bryants as the Gates has a bit too much celery seed for my taste. Other than the Gates might be better. My wife disagrees and likes the Gates better, but Stubbs over Arthur Bryant.

I know it's heresy to say anything positive about a commercially available sauce.

How about admitting which one you find acceptable?

I am tempted by some of the sauces at Mo Hotta Mo Betta

Phil
05-03-2006 02:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeff Offline

I like to use a 50/50 mix of Sweet Baby Ray's and Hot Bone Suckin' Sauce. I buy the SBR's at Walmart or Costco & the Bone Suckin' Sauce at Cracker Barrel. It turns out to be sweet with a bit of a kick. My family loves it.

Jeff
05-03-2006 03:34 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

My wife gets doesn't understand and I'm not sure I do either but.... where ever I travel around the country, I like to buy local BBQ sauces. This results in two things: a full bag of glass bottles just one good knock from leaking all over my cloths and second, a fridge full of opened BBQ sauces. About twice a year I combine them all and dump them over boneless pork ribs in a big Dutch oven.
Of all the sauces I've tried the two I really like are "Bonesuckers" and one I found in the clearance basket at Sportsman's Warehouse, "Nasty's". I went back and bought them out. (was $6.95 now .95) My third favorite is "House of Blues".
05-03-2006 05:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
phatch Offline

I've heard good things about "Bone-Suckin'" sauces elsewhere too. Even their rub. But never seen them around to try. I guess I'll have to visit Cracker Barrell.

Phil
05-03-2006 06:53 PM
Unregistered

I sm pretty certain I saw some in a Spoon N Spice Kitchenware in Salt Lake this winter sometime... If that is convenient.. Might want to call to confirm first, though... Almost picked some up just because of the name... Have since read favorable comments online here and there..
05-03-2006 07:03 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

favorite sauces
I tried the Bone suckin sauce. A friend brought me some back from Texas. Not my fav. Too runny. I have a bottle of their thicker style, unopened and a Spring Creek brand from Texas also untried. Terapin Station in SLC has a couple of good ones also. Anyone know Alans whereabouts?
Traegers apricot ranks high up on my list of I like also.
Coalbucket
05-03-2006 11:15 PM
Gumbo Offline

A good resource for all things BBQ is Hawgeyes, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com">http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com</a><!-- m -->.

I've tried most of the readily available sauces here in Utah, but I've made my own for years now. It's much cheaper and the results are so much better. I make a huge batch, starting off with the big gallon can of ketchup Costco sells. It goes pretty fast in the summer when I cook a lot for friends and neighbors.

But personally I don't each much sauce at all. The family and neighbors love it, but I try to cook my BBQ so that it doesn't need sauce (at least that's my goal).

I have a good vinegar sauce that I really like for pulled pork, and I make a white sauce for chicken that's great. But I'm still on the hunt for the perfect brisket sauce.

I still remember the local BBQ joint we frequented when I was a kid in Texas, Toby's. He had two sauces: hot and damn hot. Wish I had his recipe.
05-04-2006 07:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ford BBQ Commercial Larry Jacobs 2 228 01-20-2014 03:08 PM
Last Post: Larry Jacobs
  Would You Pay $10K For BBQ Sauce? Larry Jacobs 2 628 10-18-2012 11:10 PM
  BBQ Sauce Deal Larry Jacobs 0 504 12-16-2011 01:06 PM