Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to Pull a lot of Pork FAST
phatch Offline

How to Pull a lot of Pork FAST
I don't remember exactly where I learned this. As I recall it was one of the Jamisons' cookbooks, but not a barbecue one.

Use the food processor but with the plastic blade. A well cooked-til-tender pork shoulder will fall apart along the fibers under the beating of the plastic blade. It's not as nice as when pulled apart with forks as it's a bit finer, but is very fast.

Separate the meat into the muscle bundles, removing extra fat and the waste tissue that binds the bundles together in a pork shoulder. Chunk the meat into about 1 1/2 -2 inch cubes. A bigger processor might handle bigger chunks but that's the limit on my old 9 cup food processor.

[Image: Porkshoulder12.gif]

Only cover the bottom of the processor. Use medium length pulses checking often so you don't overprocess the meat shreds.

[Image: Porkshoulder13.gif]

Very quick.

Phil
05-03-2006 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rick Offline

If you have a Kitchen Aide/ dough hook set up, try it. Nice size "pull" and you can use bigger peices of butt.
Rick
05-03-2006 05:51 PM
phatch Offline

That sounds good. Which speed is best?

Phil
05-03-2006 06:48 PM
Gumbo Offline

I prefer my pulled pork chunkier. When doing large quantities I grab a bunch of forks and a few volunteers. I have them pull pork while people are going through the serving line. They love it, I don't have to do it, and it's freshly pulled when served.

Even at catered events I find people wanting to help. I'll add a little rub to the pulled pork and mix it in, but otherwise I leave it so people can choose their choice of sauce (vinegar, regular, or spicy).
05-04-2006 07:34 AM
phatch Offline

I prefer it hand pulled too. But I don't usually have any help.

I too leave it unsauced, just a little rub back in and some of the defatted juices.

Phil
05-04-2006 07:45 AM
Rick Offline

Phil, Try the lowest setting 1st, or get ready for IFPB ( identified flying pork butt) :roll:
Rick
05-04-2006 07:52 AM