Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Poultry Pointer
T Offline
Posting Freak

Poultry Pointer
Being involved in the restaurant business, I was asked about bacteria in chicken the other day by a back yard cook. BACTERIA flourishes in poultry at temperatures between 40 degrees and 140 degrees, so don't let it sit out at room temperature too long before cooking. Bacteria on raw poultry can contaminate other food it comes in contact with, so it's vital you always use hot soapy water to thoroughly wash your hands, cutting board and any utensils used in preparation of poultry. The next step is to mix one cap of bleach to one gallon of water for a sanitizing solution and put solution in a spray applicator. Spray work area and tools and let air dry. Never let raw juices come in contact with cooked poultry. Practice safe clean work habits.
Hope this helps ones that didn't know? Keep it low and slow

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">http://www.q4u.com</a><!-- m -->
01-01-2006 04:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SmokinJoe Offline

I hear ya'!

Many cooks like to use a separate cutting board dedicated only to chicken - and never a wood board.

With poultry, chicken most notoriously, it's a given that there's salmonella present. Wash that yardbird before prepping it for cooking, then was your hands and everything you've touched in the preparation.

Good info, T. Gives me an idea...
01-02-2006 10:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
phatch Offline

What little I've seen is it's often a knife that moves the bugs around. People wash the board and watch the juices but forget about the knife. Then someone else grabs that knife and it's salmonella city.

I've taken to keeping a dilute bleach solution in a spray bottle and disinfecting my board and knife. Haven't got sick yet.

Phil
05-03-2006 12:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Albert77 Offline

SmokinJoe;p="143 Wrote:I hear ya'!

Many cooks like to use a separate cutting board dedicated only to chicken - and never a wood board.

With poultry, chicken most notoriously, it's a given that there's salmonella present. Wash that yardbird before prepping it for cooking, then was your hands and everything you've touched in the preparation.

Good info, T. Gives me an idea...

On the Internet at forums many similar questions are described

iron scrap
04-09-2009 11:02 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Poultry Pointer
Don't forget the car or truck after you returned home from the store. Make sure it gets a good washing. Ok wise crack, :twisted: but sanitation is paramount to keeping everyone healthy. Like 'Ol Emeril says, "the food police are watching". They well may be.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
04-09-2009 12:14 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

So what's the best way to thaw cases of frozen chicken? The last three cases I got took 3 days to thaw and some still had ice in them. The only thing I've come up with so far are those big white coolers from Costco. They have a trap door in the top. I leave that open and move the chicken around a couple times a day.
04-09-2009 02:32 PM
norm Offline

Larry,
How about brine and a submersible fountain pump? Something about conduction, convection, changing the freezing point, circulating thermocline, blah, blah. Bottom-line is make yourself a low budget version of a thermal circulating defroster. This has the added benefit of also being a popscicle maker . Be the first on your block to own one. Of course this all my patent pending technological breakthrough 8) Please don't let anyone else know, especially that Scotty guy from Chicago, lest they use such technology to gain advantage. :wink: I hope this helps.
Norm
p.s. for further madness on the subject refer to the colored atlas of food quality control...not pretty pics

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
04-09-2009 03:40 PM
mjerdmann Offline

Forgive my ignorance, I get the idea about salmonella and cross contamination. The basics can never be covered enough, thanks!

My question is about bringing chicken from a frig temp of 40 degres to "room temp" prior it putting it into the smoker. Assuming it take 10-15 minutes for the cold chicken to become tempid, is that an issue? I dont want to assume anyting and I really thought this a good string to ask the question. Thanks!

In fact, is it an urban legand that food smokes better if brought to room temperature before being put in an evenly heated smoker? Or does it just effect the whole time/temp balance? Does that make sense?

Bubba'S BBQ

"Its Hawg Gone Good"
04-09-2009 09:05 PM