Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
wood smoking
Unregistered

wood smoking
What is the properway to smoke with %100 wood
Do I burn down to grey coals before I add to the smoker and when adding fuel midway through do I pre burn.
I dont want to Over smoke or under smoke.
Thank You
hpbbq
12-04-2005 06:17 PM
Quote this message in a reply
T Offline
Posting Freak

Just my 2 cents
Get a nice bed of coals, keep the flu vent (smoke stack) open. Control temperature by controlling intake. Less air less heat. If you have a cooker that has alot of leaks you will have a hard time keeping a steady temp. After you have maintained the temperature you desire you can refuel the fire as needed. Next, you must have a container in which to burn down the additonal wood to coals before you put them into the smoker fire box. A 20 gal drum with a shovel hole cut out of on side of the bottom works well. Hope this helps. Good luck.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">http://www.q4u.com</a><!-- m -->
12-05-2005 12:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UtahDave Offline

I don't pre-burn my wood to coals before adding them. I do however pre-heat them. When added to the fire they ignite right away without smoldering, I have a continuous fire (small) that doesn't put out too much smoke. I typically do a whole cook this way and have never had a problem with too much smoke. This saves me from having a separate fire going all the time.
12-11-2005 07:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JR Offline

Utah Dave Says:

Quote:I don't pre-burn my wood to coals before adding them. I do however pre-heat them. When added to the fire they ignite right away without smoldering, I have a continuous fire (small) that doesn't put out too much smoke. I typically do a whole cook this way and have never had a problem with too much smoke. This saves me from having a separate fire going all the time

How do you pre-heat the wood?

Thanks, JR
12-12-2005 02:45 PM
UtahDave Offline

pre-heating wood
I have an offset smoker with a square firebox. I set several logs on top of the firebox, and when I need more wood for the fire, I throw one of them in and take one off my wood pile put it on top of the firebox to replace what I've used.
12-12-2005 08:50 PM
JR Offline

I must try this technique. Sounds very reasonable and, of course, clever. My offset isn't square but I'm sure I can figure out something; maybe it's a good excuse to get another smoker.

I didn't quite understand part of the original post, "over smoke;" is that like "too much fun?" But I have many unlearned prejudices. That's just one.

later, JR
12-13-2005 09:59 AM
UtahDave Offline

No, over smoke is not like too much fun. I just know some people think that if you don't use a Texas crutch (aluminum foil), the meat can be too smokey (yeah right, Like that could ever happen) I think they feel it can take on a bit of a bitter taste, but that is more a factor of fire control and producing sooty smoke when not burning cleanly.
12-19-2005 10:43 PM
Morcheller Offline
Account not Activated

Maybe they were using coal instead of wood :roll:
12-23-2005 08:50 PM
Unregistered

sfdwf212421
http://myblog.es/penis-enlargement/art/2...ent_Pills_
<a href="http://myblog.es/penis-enlargement/art/28617/Penis_Enlargement_Penis_Enlargement_Pills_">penis enlargement</a>
11-07-2006 07:29 PM
Unregistered

sfdwf21242122
11-20-2006 03:38 PM
Unregistered

Hey... Cool... Somebody found me that link/site I mentioned earlier....

NOT COOL... Not at all... And obviously someone is monitoring things here, since they seem to be responding directly to my "joke"/post earlier today...

There are places out in cyberworld for this kind of junk I suppose... But NOT in this forum... Take your 'business" elsewhere...

Joe - time to delete a few posts it appears... And/or to block an IP if they want to continue this....
11-20-2006 05:41 PM