Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to make a BBQ sauce
CRJensen77 Offline

How to make a BBQ sauce
I have (as many BBQ enthusiasts do), a favorite recipe for BBQ sauce. Every time that I cook ribs and sauce for guests or the neighborhood pig roast, I have people ask me for the recipe. Of course, I have given the recipe to one person (my sister) and sworn her to secrecy, but if you want to make your own BBQ sauce, here is what I tell everyone.

1. Find your favorite commercial BBQ sauce.
2. Find a cloned recipe for it on the web or in cookbooks. This is your starting point.
3. Make the sauce just like the recipe and taste if on your favorite meat.
4. Write down (really - write it or you will forget) what you like, don't like and ideas on what to do the next time you make it.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you are making no more changes.

I only wish I could find a cloned recipe for T's spicy sauce. :lol:
12-02-2005 08:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SmokinJoe Offline

Hey there, Curtis!

Y'know, I have a couple of books on sauces and that's pretty much all you can do, is use them for the basis of creating your own. And you really do wanna write all that stuff down - consistency is the key!

And y'know, they don't call T "The Sultan of Sauce" for nothing!

-joe

Get your smoke on...
12-02-2005 05:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cinhil Offline

Re: How to make a BBQ sauce
I concur, for making sauces commercial brands are a great starting point. Everything after that just makes it into something great. I have found that the majority of commercial sauces aren't real great, some are good, but overall they are not much to squeak about. Knowing where to start, starting from scratch or using your own recipe is the only way to go if you want good sauce.
08-11-2010 11:20 PM
afrazier5 Offline

Re: How to make a BBQ sauce
I guess I'm a bit old fashioned. I'm not a fan of using commercially created sauces at all. I found some 'home grown' recipes' on the net earlier this year and after much alteration of additions and deletions I have 2 that are my standby depending on the audience. The girls aren't a fan of spicy sauce so when I do it for just us, I make it one version. But when we have company, I pull out my (as I call it) my FIGJAM sauce which is a very rich and thick sauce with a smokey flavor and a Chipolte kick.

[Image: FIGJAMSauce.jpg]

Back Alley BBQ
West Valley Utah
08-17-2010 05:56 AM