Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
WestX Western Festival & State Championship BBQ Contest
WestX_State Championship Offline

WestX Western Festival & State Championship BBQ Contest
Hey everyone,

Good tidings and a hardy YeeeeHawww!!!

We would like to invite Ya'll down to Southern Utah for our IBCA State Championship BBQ Contest ~ May 13th & 14th, 2011.

My name is James and I will be your personal contact here on the Utah BBQ Organizations site.

We will have $10,000 in prizes paid 10 deep on all three items. This is sure to be one of Southern Utah's premier events and an opportunity to have one heckofa time...

BBQ'ers will compete on Brisket, Pork Spare Ribs, & Chicken.

Entry fee is $250 & we have plenty of room and power to boot...

While your down you can enjoy our Mounted Cowboy Shooters competition, Antique Tractor Pull, PBR Bull Ride, Ton's of Country Music and a few misspelled words here an thar...

Check us out at http://www.westx.org and download our simple entry form here http://westx.org/bbq_entry_packet.pdf

If you are on facebook be sure to follow us at either http://www.facebook.com/western.festival
or http://www.facebook.com/old.west.festival

Call me with any questions anytime at 435-632-7719

Hope to see ya'll down for the weekend!

James...
03-08-2011 05:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: WestX Western Festival & State Championship BBQ Contest
Thanks James, I put the information on the Calendar for everyone.

http://www.utahbbq.org/calendar.php

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
03-08-2011 11:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, I have always wanted to cook an IBCA event, but they have always been too far. Thanks to those that brought an event like this to Utah. Looks to be a great time with the other things going on for sure. I will for sure take a serious look at this one. Once again thanks for bringing another event to our wonderful state of Utah. Looking forward to one day giving you a hand shake my friend, yours in BBQ "T"

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
03-09-2011 12:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tex-mex Offline

(03-09-2011 12:12 PM)T Wrote:  Yo, I have always wanted to cook an IBCA event, but they have always been too far. Thanks to those that brought an event like this to Utah. Looks to be a great time with the other things going on for sure. I will for sure take a serious look at this one. Once again thanks for bringing another event to our wonderful state of Utah. Looking forward to one day giving you a hand shake my friend, yours in BBQ "T"

I am seriously thinking about this one ..........Dodgy
03-09-2011 02:52 PM
crashpilot
Unregistered

I'm thinking about this one too....
The website makes the entire festival look like a helluva lot of fun!

(03-09-2011 12:12 PM)T Wrote:  Yo, I have always wanted to cook an IBCA event, but they have always been too far.
T,
What do I need to know about cooking in an ICBA event? I've only cooked in KCBS style comps. I'm not sure what the difference is.
03-10-2011 09:15 AM
Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Taken from the pdf in the first post.

http://westx.org/bbq_entry_packet.pdf

Recommended amounts are as follows:
Brisket—seven (7) full slices approximately 1/4‖-3/8‖ thick
Pork Spare Ribs—seven (7) individual cut ribs (bone in)
Chicken—1/2 fully jointed chicken (to include breast, wing, thigh & drumstick) with skin on.

NO CORNISH GAME HENS

Pork—Pulled, sliced, or chopped (all trays will be turned in the same, either pulled, sliced, or chopped as directed by Promoter/Head Judge

Looks like this contest is only a 3 meat too, Brisket, Pork Ribs and 1/2 Chickens too!

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
03-10-2011 10:15 AM
crashpilot
Unregistered

Thanks for the clarification Chris. I apologize for my original question not being very clear. I knew what I MEANT to ask but I wasn't very successful putting my questions into words. Please indulge me as I try again. Blush

I read the rules from the first post, and there were some confusing parts. The rules say there are 4 categories in an ICBA cook, but the promoter only talked about 3. Is a 3 category cookoff allowed in ICBA rules or should we get clarification?

I don't think I would do anything for preparation or in the cooker any different, but the rules for actually putting entries in the box seem to be very different. Like you point out, there is the requirement for 7 pieces per entry in brisket and ribs and the rules specify spares. But regarding chicken, did I read it right that only 1 piece of chicken goes in the box and it is half of a chicken? Do I spatchcock a chicken and only turn in 1 half of it?

Are ICBA entries submitted on foil without any garnish?

Finally... In the ICBA rules, the word "should" is used a lot and it seemed pretty open to interpretation and innovation. What sort of gotchas not explicit in the rules will I find when preparing entries at an ICBA event that my KCBS mind frame wouldn’t be prepared for?

(My word... I hope this post makes sense!! LOL)
03-10-2011 11:25 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

(03-10-2011 11:25 AM)crashpilot Wrote:  Thanks for the clarification Chris. I apologize for my original question not being very clear. I knew what I MEANT to ask but I wasn't very successful putting my questions into words. Please indulge me as I try again. Blush

I read the rules from the first post, and there were some confusing parts. The rules say there are 4 categories in an ICBA cook, but the promoter only talked about 3. Is a 3 category cookoff allowed in ICBA rules or should we get clarification?

IBCA allows for either a 3 or 4 meat contest at the discretion of the organizer.

Quote:I don't think I would do anything for preparation or in the cooker any different, but the rules for actually putting entries in the box seem to be very different. Like you point out, there is the requirement for 7 pieces per entry in brisket and ribs and the rules specify spares. But regarding chicken, did I read it right that only 1 piece of chicken goes in the box and it is half of a chicken? Do I spatchcock a chicken and only turn in 1 half of it?

How you wrangle/manage your chicken could make or break the looks in the box, I think I'd probably halve first then cook, rather than spatchcock and then cut in half.

One of the other rules is about brisket, you can trim brisket pre-cook but it's a DQ to trim it after the cook, and the slices must be whole slices.

Quote:Are ICBA entries submitted on foil without any garnish?

That's what I believe!

Quote:Finally... In the ICBA rules, the word "should" is used a lot and it seemed pretty open to interpretation and innovation. What sort of gotchas not explicit in the rules will I find when preparing entries at an ICBA event that my KCBS mind frame wouldn’t be prepared for?

(My word... I hope this post makes sense!! LOL)

Then you should clarify with the IBCA before the event.

By talking to James as I did the other day, it sounds like the chair or president of the IBCA will be in attendance, so they will be wanting to be seen to be fair to all competitors cooking their rules.

As with all contests, if you need clarification on the technicalities go to the source, or the hearsay rule may get you instead!Wink

03-10-2011 12:23 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Also ask about HOW the ribs are to be placed in the box, flat, stacked, parallel to the hinge, or perpendicular to the hinge on the box...I'm not joking, it came up at a comp. a few years ago.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
03-10-2011 01:17 PM
tex-mex Offline

(03-10-2011 01:17 PM)PackerBacker Wrote:  Also ask about HOW the ribs are to be placed in the box, flat, stacked, parallel to the hinge, or perpendicular to the hinge on the box...I'm not joking, it came up at a comp. a few years ago.

Dave
I cooked in Texas last October , both halves of chicken must be presented !! hard to get in the box , so practice this for sure. yes no garnish allowed bottom of box will have foil only !
And usually no pork , just a three meat cook . also the turn-in times can be as much as an hour a part !!!!!!!!!!

omar / tex-mex
03-10-2011 05:01 PM
crashpilot
Unregistered

(03-10-2011 01:17 PM)PackerBacker Wrote:  Also ask about HOW the ribs are to be placed in the box, flat, stacked, parallel to the hinge, or perpendicular to the hinge on the box...I'm not joking, it came up at a comp. a few years ago.

Dave
Good info Dave!! This is the kind of stuff I was asking about. On The Smoke Ring site Garry talked about how some rule ambiguity in the rules affected the results of a cookoff and how one moment Garry was GC and the next moment Harry Soo was GC and how the ICBA justified thier decision. As expensive as cooking at a comp is, this stuff is scary. Like I mentioned earlier the ICBA rules are full of words like "suggested" and "should" and I was wondering what the standard practices of an ICBA cookoff were without any nuance.

(03-10-2011 05:01 PM)tex-mex Wrote:  I cooked in Texas last October , both halves of chicken must be presented !! hard to get in the box , so practice this for sure. yes no garnish allowed bottom of box will have foil only !
And usually no pork , just a three meat cook . also the turn-in times can be as much as an hour a part !!!!!!!!!!

omar / tex-mex
Thanks Omar. I appreciate your input! I'd hate to go down there as a rookie and mis-read the rules. I'd have only put half the chicken in the box.
03-10-2011 05:17 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

That deal with Harry Soo was if Pork was included in the turn-ins..... Thats a whole other story! Ask about sauce.... last I heard the meats HAD to be sauced while the meat was still on the cooker, and the sauce had to be "cooked on" to where it was "tacky" to the touch.

Now... To cover my ass.... LOL check on all of these points as they may have changed or be up to the organizer/ head judge at various events...

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 05:47 PM by PackerBacker.)
03-10-2011 05:45 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

The one 1/2 chicken or 2 x 1/2 chickens depends on the numbers, below 50 teams it's 1 x 1/2 chicken, this cook is going to be capped at 35 teams, so the above 50 teams rule, (2 x 1/2 chicken), need not apply!

03-10-2011 05:52 PM

Hey all!

Great to see all the activity here, we're excited to host this and I assure you we will make sure all your questions are answered. I just got off the phone with Lynn Shivers and she will be joining us shortly to answer any of your questions directly :-) We'll be getting some of that Texas hospitality right here in the Great State of Utah!

As a side note and to let you know just how serious we are about this event, all of our Judges will be the Mayors of Washington County with a few from Iron and Kane as well. Lynn Shivers is flying in from the Heart of Texas to oversee the entire competition and I believe they had over 300 cook-offs last year alone, with over 100 on the calendar already! The IBCA format is growing in popularity and is an exciting contributor to the sport.

Be sure to give me a call directly if you have any questions on accommodations or ground support.

Ya'll have a great night, were ready to kick the tires and stoke the fires for ya!!!
03-10-2011 07:12 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Having Lynn available to answer these questions is a very nice gesture! No question about the rules now, Take advantage of this everyone!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
03-10-2011 07:29 PM
Lynn Offline

Hello everyone - I am glad to read all of the comments about the upcoming IBCA event in Utah - If you have any questions whatsoever feel free to ask them.

IBCA, as a general rule, only has the 3 categories: Brisket, Pork SPARE Ribs, and 1/2 Chicken. We don't use garnish in the containers - we issue a piece of foil to be put in the bottom of the container.

Our judging system is totally blind - we use double theater tickets - one of which is attached to the turn-in tray and the other one is signed by the Head Cook and retained until the awards --- NO ONE will know who the winner is until the ticket is matched.

I noticed a comment about the sauce - at one time our rules did state that the sauce had to be cooked on - but that was a gray area so now it states: "Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces and/or liquids may not be added once put into the tray. NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM OF TRAY."

As a suggestion - if you cook a chicken in the 4.50 - 5 lb range it will fit into the tray great - the main thing is that the lid must close or it could be considered a marked tray.

I will stop now and if you have any questions feel free to contact me either on this form or at info@ibcabbq.org

Looking forward to meet all of you.

Lynn
IBCA Head Judge
IBCA Executive Administrator
http://www.ibcabbq.org
03-10-2011 08:06 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Welcome to the forum Lynn!

So 7 slices of Brisket, & 7 Spare Ribs, do they need to be left whole or can they be trimmed St Louis Style?

Was the information about 1/2 chicken under 50 teams 2 x 1/2 chicken over 50 correct, (or is it one whole chicken as per your post), so we will be able to work out which when we know the numbers?

03-10-2011 08:21 PM
Lynn Offline

Yes it is 7 full slices of brisket approx. 1/4-3/8" thick - fat can be trimmed - or I should say the brisket can be capped after cooking.

7 Pork SPARE Ribs - individual ribs - St Louis cut is acceptable. I will ask that the ribs be placed in the container horizonal to the hinge - all in the same direction meat side up - 4 on bottom and 3 on top in the same direction - which ever fits best in the container.

1/2 chicken up to 50 teams - there after the quantities would be changed in all categories.

My other post was just suggesting that you cook that size of a chicken and then you can pick which 1/2 you want to turn in.

Lynn
IBCA Head Judge
03-10-2011 08:45 PM
crashpilot
Unregistered

Lynn,

Welcome aboard and thank you VERY much for taking the time to hammer out answers to my many questions!!!

(03-10-2011 08:06 PM)Lynn Wrote:  Our judging system is totally blind - we use double theater tickets - one of which is attached to the turn-in tray and the other one is signed by the Head Cook and retained until the awards --- NO ONE will know who the winner is until the ticket is matched.
Interesting!! The tickets are a great idea.

(03-10-2011 08:45 PM)Lynn Wrote:  7 Pork SPARE Ribs - individual ribs - St Louis cut is acceptable. I will ask that the ribs be placed in the container horizonal to the hinge - all in the same direction meat side up - 4 on bottom and 3 on top in the same direction - which ever fits best in the container.
Just for clarification, I assume you mean the ribs must be parallel with the hinge on the container?? Is the intent of this requirement to ensure that all entries look the same to the judges?

Thanks again for your time!!
Sean
03-10-2011 09:10 PM
Lynn Offline

Yes - we try to make it as fair of a judging as possible and ask that all trays basically look the same.

One thing that I will let you know up front - is that IBCA doesn't give a print out as to how you place -- We do call out the numbers that make it to the final table if more than 1 phase of judging is needed.

I welcome anyone that would like to come in and observe the judging to do so - as long as they don't talk to the judges.

Lynn
IBCA Head Judge
03-10-2011 10:21 PM
Lynn Offline

Good Luck to all that may be SMOKIN' this w/e - I will be away from the computer until Sun - but will answer any questions at that time.

Have a great week-end

Lynn
IBCA Head Judge
03-11-2011 07:53 AM

Hey everyone! We have updated our website and would like to make a proposal to ya'll!!!

#1) We realize $250 is a big chunk to layout for any contest, especially with gas prices going up. However we do firmly believe that since we have $10,000 greenbacks on the line it is well worth it. We are talking cash money here!!! Please see our payout schedule by following this link. http://westx.org/index.php?option=com_wr...Itemid=197

Since we want this to be the most kickin' contest ya'll have a chance to come to this year here in Utah we are willing to (for a limited time) reduce our entry fee to just $200... You must take advantage of this by April 10th. We will accept half down and the other half will be due one week before the event. With this reduction we will not include the IBCA membership card but that is not required to participate. We are looking for some rapid input, are you in or out. As you know we need at least 15 entries to qualify for the Jack Daniels Draw so we are looking to make sure this qualifies our winners. We have a few confirmed but we are ready to put this thing to bed and get to work!

#2) For your consideration... If we marketed the $#%* out of a Peoples Choice, would that be something you would like to do? The meat would be cooks-choice so if you wanted to do a pork shoulder for the PC or just shred all your meat up into separate categories it would be up to you. PC would just be 'overall' and not meat specific.

I have contacted the local health department and our event Health Permit covers everyone in the contest - you just cannot vend separately. We will split proceeds with you 50/50 based on the amount of tickets each contestant collects.

Majority rules here and you have to enter or commit to entering to have a say in whether or not we actually do a PC.

Lets get the conversation going again, what do ya'll think?

To see our website updates on the BBQ go to the "See The Rest!" drop-down menu. You can see our BBQ page, payout schedule, and entry-form from here now.

Hope to see ya'll at WestX!! http://www.westx.org
03-21-2011 08:41 PM
ThomEmery Offline

Have to check our schedule and see if we can make the drive

Past President CBBQA 2007

www.cbbqa.com
03-26-2011 08:29 PM
Lynn Offline

Thom - come on up - Jeff & I will be there to oversee the judging.
Looking forward to the event.

Lynn
IBCA Head Judge
03-28-2011 07:58 AM
Lynn Offline

Just heard that the KCBS event at Laughlin the same w/e has been cancelled - why not come to WestX Utah State Championship and try out the IBCA format.

$10,000 prize money - paying out 10 places in each meat category.

Hope to see some of you there

Lynn
IBCA Head Judge
03-29-2011 08:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Utah BBQ festival (Coalville) Hath 6 795 08-30-2013 07:12 AM
Last Post: smokey's bbq pits
  State Championship $3,000 - Valley Fair Mall BBQ Comp Event - April 26-27 Big Johnson's BBQ 63 3,457 04-28-2013 01:28 PM
Last Post: SoEzzy
  Wyoming State BBQ Championship & Bluegrass Festival Member closed account! 0 416 08-19-2012 07:38 AM
Last Post: Member closed account!