Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Contest Sept. 10 Melba Idaho
ronniebboy Offline

Contest Sept. 10 Melba Idaho
Hello Everyone, On September 10th is Owyhee Summer Nights. This is an event that has started out small and has grown and grown. Brian Good that started the event has added things each year and this year he asked if we did a back yard Bar-B-Q contest if we would have anyone interested, I told him yes. So with no Eagle Rib Fest around labor day we have something to offer to BBQ fans.
As a contestant you will recieve a number and then you will get to choose your first rib-eye. After everyone has picked the first one then you will come back and pick your second rib-eye. You cook both and then choose which one to turn in. This is nothing fancy just about having fun.
Owyhee Summer Nights is held at the home of Brian Good. His lawn is approx. 15 acres in size, and the views are incredible. there are things for children to do, craft vendors, food vendors, airplane fly in, car show and so much more. There will be prizes for first through third. Your entry will pay for your rib-eyes used in the contest and allows you to enjoy the bands later in the day and evening and also gets you one pit roasted chicken dinner.
Please respond to this posting and let me know if there is interest. I can provide more info about the contest, Owyhee Summer Nights, cost, and the location of Brians home.
Thanks, ronniebboy
04-08-2011 01:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ronniebboy Offline

RE: Contest Sept. 10 Melba Idaho
Well, I really thought that there would have been someone that was at least curious about this. I know that it is a few months out, but I thought that there would be interest in it so people would put it on their calendars. This is really a fun event and as I posted the views, and the laid back vibe make this event so much fun. I will keep checking to view any postings about this to monitor any feedback or questions. As of right now it looks like if one person comes he/she will be the big winner.
Thanks, ronniebboy
05-08-2011 09:05 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I would be interested and in fact I was interested, but... and it's a big but, that is the same weekend as the Village of the Trees competition in Declo Idaho, 188 miles from Kearns, (went there the last two years), and the Pork and Hops in Grand Junction CO, 282 miles, (that I've wanted to get to for the last two years), Melba ID is 378 from SLC or 190 extra miles from Declo, the Declo competition last turn ins are at 1:30 and the 3:20 hour drive means that the earliest we could get there, would be 5:00 ish on Saturday evening, hard to cook Saturday morning in two places 190 miles apart.

Sorry to sound like the negative Nelly!Wink

I would recommend anyone reading in Northern Idaho or Eastern Oregon might think about the Melba contest.

I know the gas prices and additional struggles with the economy may curtail these events too!

Please keep adding information, even if you feel discouraged by the current lack of responses!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
05-08-2011 09:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Chris is correct, Declo is where BBQ cooks will be on that weekend. The other major contest will be the Boise Music Festival July 23. Give me a call, maybe next year it may get more interest.

Dave
401-6277

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
05-09-2011 06:57 PM
philmcgrane Offline

(05-08-2011 09:05 PM)ronniebboy Wrote:  Well, I really thought that there would have been someone that was at least curious about this. I know that it is a few months out, but I thought that there would be interest in it so people would put it on their calendars. This is really a fun event and as I posted the views, and the laid back vibe make this event so much fun. I will keep checking to view any postings about this to monitor any feedback or questions. As of right now it looks like if one person comes he/she will be the big winner.
Thanks, ronniebboy

Ronniebboy - Send me more info. I'm in Boise, so it might be a good event that I don't have to travel for and friends can come to. Hopefully, you'll get some interest.

Phil
05-18-2011 09:01 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Phil If you have time, give me a call. I have some info you might be interested in.

Dave
401-6277

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
05-19-2011 08:01 AM
ronniebboy Offline

Well, thanks for the responses that I have recieved. We knew that this would be a test of what we might run into since we have never tried to do this before. The car show part has always ran into competition from other cars shows on the same weekend; we know what we are into with that now. We hope to offer those that can't afford to travel or those that have kids that would be back into school a place to go that offers something a little more at ease and relaxed (I know that most are relaxed up till turn in time). I met with Brian this morning and we talked about the event and how it is all coming together. It seems to be going very well since we have just over 2 months until the event happens. The airplane fly in is still on and the food and craft vendors are starting to fall in line also, plus there is still the jumpers and climbing wall for kids.
For all those that would like to know where this is happening at and love to use google earth here is the location: From Nama travel south on Hwy 45 to Melmont road, turn right or west onto Melmont road and travel 3/4 mile to the road that will take you up to the top of Hatt Butte (there will be signs) just continue to follow the road past the cell phone towers and you will end up at the location. For those that have travelled in this area, from Hwy 45 it doesn't seem to be very high, but once you are there it is actually pretty high in height and the views are incredible.
I will keep checking the site for more questions and I willl make those calls.
Thanks!
06-26-2011 01:40 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Sorry we can't make it up there. Like you said, that is a busy weekend and I am already vending BBQ. Good luck with what you are doing and hope it turns out well for you.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
06-26-2011 02:10 PM