Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questions for first Comp.
Rockin' C BBQ Offline

Questions for first Comp.
Well, we decided to enter our first competition and with that comes a load of questions.

1. Do we bring our own meat or is it provided?
2. With peoples choice, how much extra should we plan on making?
3. With heating the food I understand that we can use wood or charcoal, do brickets count as charcoal or do I need to go buy some straight charcoal?
4. Any thing else you wish you knew on your first comp. would be great information for us.

Thanks in advance!
Cam and the Rockin' C team
04-20-2011 10:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

RE: Questions for first Comp.
Welcome and good luck to you this season.
Most competitions you do need to provide your own meat. Most contests do not have a peoples choice. If there is a peoples choice contest, we usually post about how many are expected to be there so that you can gauge accordingly.
Here is a link to a check list, you can modify it how you need, but it gives you a good idea what you need. Click Here
Charcoal briquettes are good to use.
Also if (and you will) forget something, ask, someone usually has what you may need.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2011 10:51 AM by Flexo.)
04-20-2011 10:49 AM
Rockin' C BBQ Offline

That's awesome information. Thanks for the checklist. Any more info from everyone else would be great.
04-20-2011 11:30 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

(04-20-2011 10:26 AM)Rockin C BBQ Wrote:  Well, we decided to enter our first competition and with that comes a load of questions.

1. Do we bring our own meat or is it provided?

You normally provide your own meat, but once in a blue moon it is provided, if it is being provided it will normally say so on all the entry forms and information about the contest.

Quote:2. With peoples choice, how much extra should we plan on making?

Depending on what is being cooked, plan on 1/2 Oz or so per sample, if a small contest with peoples choice, I wouldn't cook much past 3 or 4 butts total.

Quote:3. With heating the food I understand that we can use wood or charcoal, do brickets count as charcoal or do I need to go buy some straight charcoal?

KCBS is all wood or wood products, pellets, lump charcoal, charcoal briquettes, wood.

Some contests allow propane or electricity as well, but again it will be clear from the contest entry forms and information!

Quote:4. Any thing else you wish you knew on your first comp. would be great information for us.

Thanks in advance!
Cam and the Rockin' C team

Read the Etiquette thread http://www.utahbbq.org/showthread.php?tid=30

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
04-20-2011 12:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply