Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
(New) Huntsville Competition July 1-2nd
polkaking27 Offline

RE: (New) Huntsville Competition July 1-2nd
I'd like to try out this competition but I'm a little confused still. This would be my first competition and I guess I'm a little behind.
In the backyard division how are you supposed to cook all your meat if you show up at 830 am Saturday and turn in time is 230 pm? Maybe I'm missing something. Does backyard division mean you cook everything in your "backyard" and bring it just in time for the turn in? Any other hints on when to show up and start cooking?

Thanks

(06-16-2011 09:37 PM)Pegleg Wrote:  Updated Team List:

Pro Division:
1- HQO (Brian Winther)
2- Ten Second Rule (Trent Lloyd)
3- Shupey Q (Scott Shupe)

Backyard:
Smoking Flyers (Greg Reighard)

An announcement for this event will be published in the Huntsville Newspaper on June 27th. Also in conjunction with the competition, there will be other activities including a band(s), mechanical bull, bounce house, and other food vendors; we expect a fairley decent turnout by the residents and others staying at nearby campgrounds. I will provide additional information as it's available. Please call my cell phone @ (801) 718-0063 if you have any questions.

Thanks for all of your support!!

Lyle
06-17-2011 06:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

In the backyard division, you only cook ribs and chicken. You should have plenty of time to cook them. The pro division also cooks the ribs and chicken but adds pork butts, brisket. Those two additions take all night.
Clear as mud? If you have any questions, just ask.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
06-17-2011 07:09 PM
polkaking27 Offline

Ok that makes more sense then. I suppose 6 hours is more than enough for ribs and chicken. Now I just need to sign up and give it a shot.

Thanks for the clarification!
06-18-2011 12:25 AM
Pegleg Offline

Updated Information

Updated Team List:

Pro Division:
1- HQO (Brian Winther)
4- So-Low Bar-Be-Que (Chris Edmunds)
5- Tumbleweed BBQ (Mike Vicars)
6- Big Johnsons BBQ (Jesse Johnson)

Backyard:

This is a no-garnishment competition, turn-in containers and foil will be provided at the cooks meeting.

An article for this event will be published in the Huntsville Newspaper on June 27th. In addition to the competition, there will be other activities including a band(s), bounce house, and other vendors; we expect a fairley decent turnout by the residents and others staying at nearby campgrounds. I will provide additional information as it's available. Please call my cell phone @ (801) 718-0063 if you have any immediate questions.

Thanks for all of your support!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
06-20-2011 10:58 PM
Curtis Nations Online
Managing Member

this was a little little change from pay pal, do i need to send in a form with a team name and other info.
06-23-2011 10:40 PM
bwinther Offline
Managing Member

Are we going to do the standard pot luck on Friday night? I am game for it. We will some how have to get in touch with Shupey Q and Ten Second to inform them (Lyle can you do this).

Brian

HQO
Gotta have it
2013 Utah's Representative to the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational BBQ Competition
KCBS Certified Judge
Managing Member
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2011 08:12 AM by bwinther.)
06-24-2011 08:11 AM
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

I'm down for the Friday Potluck...

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
06-24-2011 08:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pegleg Offline

Great Idea!! Others have asked about it as well. The cooks meeting is scheduled at around 6:00 P.M. or so, perhaps it can come together after that?? I will send an e-mail out to the newbies competing and make sure everyone knows

Thanks,

Lyle

(06-23-2011 10:40 PM)Curtis Nations Wrote:  this was a little little change from pay pal, do i need to send in a form with a team name and other info.

Curts,
If you would please e-mail me your information (Team Name, Chief Cook, Contact Info etc.) to redneckpegleg@gmail.com I'll add you to the list Are you cooking the four meat or the Backyard, let me know and I'll update the info on this site.

Thanks,

Lyle
(06-20-2011 10:58 PM)Pegleg Wrote:  Updated Information

Updated Team List:

Pro Division:
1- HQO (Brian Winther)
7- Utah Smoke
8- Tommy's Texas BBQ

Backyard:

This is a no-garnishment competition, turn-in containers and foil will be provided at the cooks meeting.

An article for this event will be published in the Huntsville Newspaper on June 27th. In addition to the competition, there will be other activities including a band(s), mechanical bull, bounce house, and other vendors; we expect a fairley decent turnout by the residents and others staying at nearby campgrounds.

Beginning Saturday, the street where the comp is at will be closed thru the end of the day Monday; I was told today that it should not be a problem for those of you with motorhomes/campers to pull out Sunday morning. To be on the safe side, I will have firm verification on this by Monday evening. I will provide additional information as it's available. Please call my cell phone @ (801) 718-0063 if you have any immediate questions.

At this point we have a full table of certified judges and working on a second set. Those of you who are interested please contact me either by this site, phone call, or e-mail @ redneckpegleg@gmail.com

Thank You!!

Lyle
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2011 10:57 PM by Pegleg.)
06-25-2011 10:09 PM
Pegleg Offline

Updated Team List
Pro Division: (4 meat)
1- HQO (Brian Winther)
7- Utah Smoke (T Brown)
8- Tommy's Texas BBQ

Backyard: (2 meat)
Curtis Nations

I'll be on site by 8:00 a.m. in the event that you need to get checked-in and unloaded earlier.
For the Back Yard teams, check-in and meat inspection will be @ 7:00 a.m. July 2nd, I'll be on site at 6:00 a.m.; the cooks meeting will be held @ 8:00 a.m.
The entry fee may be paid on the day of the competition; those who are still planning on attending please let me know so we can add your name to the list and plan accordingly.
Water and 15 Amp electricity is available
Those with motorhomes/campers may stay Saturday night but we have been asked that you move Sunday morning by 10:00 a.m.
We have a full set of certified judges but still need more, this is a great opportunity for all of you new CBJ's to get some comps under your belt.
If you have any questions, please call me phone @ (801) 718-0063 or e-mail @ redneckpegleg@gmail.com

Thank You!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
06-27-2011 09:48 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

This will be a fun comp guys. All of you folks that have always wanted to enter a competition but don't know where to start, this is a perfect one for you! Come on out and try your hand at a BBQ competition. Once you do, you will be hooked.
Come up on Friday night and enjoy a pot luck dinner and talk with the guys that do this all the time. There is no better way to learn. Come and get with me Friday night and I and others will teach you what you need to know to turn in your meats. Just bring your meat and things you need to cook it and we will help you with the rest. You will be able to go home and cook for your family like a pro! This a great place for a cookout and we are grateful to Huntsville City and all of their support. Let's support them in return!
Go BBQ!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
06-27-2011 10:00 PM
polkaking27 Offline

(06-27-2011 10:00 PM)Dutchovendude Wrote:  This will be a fun comp guys. All of you folks that have always wanted to enter a competition but don't know where to start, this is a perfect one for you! Come on out and try your hand at a BBQ competition. Once you do, you will be hooked.
Come up on Friday night and enjoy a pot luck dinner and talk with the guys that do this all the time. There is no better way to learn. Come and get with me Friday night and I and others will teach you what you need to know to turn in your meats. Just bring your meat and things you need to cook it and we will help you with the rest. You will be able to go home and cook for your family like a pro! This a great place for a cookout and we are grateful to Huntsville City and all of their support. Let's support them in return!
Go BBQ!

If I'm gonna come up Friday before the comp can we set up a tent and stay the night there in the park?

Lyle, when do you need to know for sure by? I'm trying to talk my pregnant better half into being my team mate and haven't got a for sure answer yet!
06-28-2011 01:27 AM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Yes, you can set up a tent in the comp area on Friday. We need to know as soon as possible because we need to adjust how many judges we need. You can pay the fee when you show up, just let us know if you are coming. You can shoot us a private email with your team information. Thanks and hope to see you there!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
06-28-2011 03:25 AM
Pegleg Offline

06-28-2011 09:25 AM
stewartr002 Offline

Very nice poster. Quick question, my wife is coming up with me and wants to bring our Lab with her while she tours the park. Any problems with pets in the park...on leash and cleaned up after of course? She got kicked out of the River's Edge camp ground during Smoke on the River in Heber so thought we'd better ask.

Looking forward to judging the comp. and meeting new members.

Randy

Randy Stewart
"Utah BBQ Org., Florida BBQ Asoc., & KCBS Certified Judge"
Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
Smoke On!
06-28-2011 10:03 PM
Pegleg Offline

(06-28-2011 10:03 PM)stewartr002 Wrote:  Very nice poster. Quick question, my wife is coming up with me and wants to bring our Lab with her while she tours the park. Any problems with pets in the park...on leash and cleaned up after of course? She got kicked out of the River's Edge camp ground during Smoke on the River in Heber so thought we'd better ask.

Randy

Randy,
That's a question I can't answer; I don't think I've ever seen animals at the park and haven't paid much attention to the signs. I googled the town of Huntsville and found this link about the park, http://huntsvilletown.com/park-overview.html ; I would call the Park Caretaker - Tim Hansen 745-9239 and ask him directly, I'm sure he would know. I look forward to working with you this weekend.

Thanks,

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
06-28-2011 10:27 PM
Pegleg Offline

(06-27-2011 10:00 PM)Dutchovendude Wrote:  This will be a fun comp guys. All of you folks that have always wanted to enter a competition but don't know where to start, this is a perfect one for you! Come on out and try your hand at a BBQ competition. Once you do, you will be hooked.
Go BBQ!

Thanks Mike!!!! One more day to go!! This is a great offer for all of you who are on the fence; these guys have been around the block many times and are GREAT teachers. My son-in-law is competing alone for the very first time and has only been cooking on a WSM for a couple of years. He's also using my three cookers and already talking about competing at the Rock-N-Ribs. This is a great bunch of folks to hang out with!! Greg at Huntsville Barbecue has offered to set up tables in the back of the restaurant where we can enjoy the potluck and live entertainment.

If you decide to compete at the last minute, come on up, there's plenty of room; entry fees will be accepted on the day of the event. Take a drive up beautiful Ogden Canyon or Trappers Loop and pay us a visit!! If you need directions or have any questions on the fly, don't hesitate to call me at (801) 718-0063 anytime.

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2011 09:49 AM by Pegleg.)
06-30-2011 09:48 AM
stewartr002 Offline

(06-28-2011 10:27 PM)Pegleg Wrote:  
(06-28-2011 10:03 PM)stewartr002 Wrote:  Very nice poster. Quick question, my wife is coming up with me and wants to bring our Lab with her while she tours the park. Any problems with pets in the park...on leash and cleaned up after of course? She got kicked out of the River's Edge camp ground during Smoke on the River in Heber so thought we'd better ask.

Randy

Randy,
That's a question I can't answer; I don't think I've ever seen animals at the park and haven't paid much attention to the signs. I googled the town of Huntsville and found this link about the park, http://huntsvilletown.com/park-overview.html ; I would call the Park Caretaker - Tim Hansen 745-9239 and ask him directly, I'm sure he would know. I look forward to working with you this weekend.

Thanks,

I talked to Tim Hansen and he said pets on leash are okay in Huntsville park. Make sure you clean up behind themBlush
Randy

Randy Stewart
"Utah BBQ Org., Florida BBQ Asoc., & KCBS Certified Judge"
Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
Smoke On!
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2011 11:51 AM by stewartr002.)
06-30-2011 11:49 AM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Thanks Randy!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
06-30-2011 02:59 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Thanks for the info, I'll tell the pets they should be alright. Wink

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
06-30-2011 03:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tipsforBBQ Offline

Enjoyed the 'que from those that still had samples. Thanks for the hospitality!

Be sure to post the winners ASAP!!

Rusty from Tips for BBQ
Check out my BBQ Blog with favorites like my Game Day Ribs and the Ultimate Stuffed Hamburger.
07-02-2011 02:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2014 Huntsville BBQ Challenge July 11th & 12th! Big Johnson's BBQ 12 480 07-11-2014 08:23 AM
Last Post: Dale
  Huntsville BBQ Challenge July 26/27th (4 meat) SoEzzy 50 2,577 07-25-2013 06:13 PM
Last Post: Big Johnson's BBQ
  Call for Judges in Huntsville July 2nd Pegleg 4 1,287 06-25-2011 11:00 PM
Last Post: Pegleg