Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Boise Music Festival
tsorensen86 Offline

Boise Music Festival
The Boise Music Festival is coming up July 23.

Move in will start at 8 am Friday July 22nd.

The payout information is listed here:
http://www.boisemusicfestival.com/pages/bmf_bbq

The competition application is here:
http://privateerproductions.org/idaho.pdf

Meat inspections will begin at 10 am
The cooks meeting will be at 6 pm

The offical move out time will be Sunday morning at 6 am.
Unoffically once the concert is over and the public is clear of the area approximately 12:30 am Sunday if you wish to move out, you may.

We look forward to seeing you there.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2011 10:00 PM by tsorensen86.)
06-04-2011 09:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Boise Music Festival
Kinda surprised there is absolutely no interest/ replies to this thread. Would be nice to see some of the Utah BBQ brothers and sistas for this event...

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
06-22-2011 03:18 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

(06-22-2011 03:18 PM)PackerBacker Wrote:  Kinda surprised there is absolutely no interest/ replies to this thread. Would be nice to see some of the Utah BBQ brothers and sistas for this event...

Dave

Dave, gotta remember that those dates are a big holiday here in Utah. Pioneers Day to be specific. For some communities such as Logan, the hoopla is bigger than the 4th. It's a celebration to mark the date that Brigham Young first entered the Salt Lake valley. It's also celebrated by many Mormon communities outside Utah such as southern Nevada where there are a ton of parades and rodeos etc. I for one can't be there due to my need to make some $$$ and that is a big time event for us to be selling at...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
06-22-2011 04:47 PM
Pitmaster Offline

Hi all- I'm in the same boat as Sampson. As much as I would love to spend money rather than make it, I've got two events that weekend to cater. I really enjoyed the event last year. It was great to get a walk in Brisket, but I'm totally against the late exit time, especially when we need to drive back on Saturday. It is a great event and well organized. Sorry we can't make it.
Rob

Rob Harding
KCBS Certified Judge
http://www.pitmaster-bbq.com
rob@pitmaster-bbq.com
Smokin' on an Austin National Smoker, Brinkmann Professional COS, Man-Weber (27in) & Girl-Weber (22.5in),No Joker Smoker (Drum Smoker)
06-22-2011 11:12 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

(06-22-2011 11:12 PM)Pitmaster Wrote:  Hi all- I'm in the same boat as Sampson. As much as I would love to spend money rather than make it, I've got two events that weekend to cater. I really enjoyed the event last year. It was great to get a walk in Brisket, but I'm totally against the late exit time, especially when we need to drive back on Saturday. It is a great event and well organized. Sorry we can't make it.
Rob

Totally understand the $$$ side of it.. And yes it is a great event, all on grass, huge water fountain to cool off in the light mist or get soaked if so desire... plenty or activities, food vendors, live music, and meet some really nice folks.... all 40,000 of them if you wish... LOL

Hope to meet some new cooks this year, so who is coming?? Only a few weeks away

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
07-05-2011 06:17 PM
Cyclops Offline

I spoke with the sponsor this afternoon and we decided to address the lack of registrations for the BMF next Tuesday. I f there are not enough teams for a qualifier with a few to spare, we will pull the plug on the event. It makes no sense to spend $10,000.00 of the sponsor's money if there continues to be no interest in the event. I certainly understand the importance of Pioneer Days, but this is two years in a row with very little response from Our BBQ brothers in Utah.
Jim

Life Is A Team Sport
07-05-2011 10:19 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

That would be a shame!

I hope it's a go, not a no!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
07-06-2011 01:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Sorry to miss this one, but I have other obligations that weekend. As stated above, it is on of the biggest BBQ weekends in Utah.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
07-06-2011 03:26 AM
LoneStar Smoke Rangers Offline

Howdy! Just posted an introduction in your General section.

I'm in for the Boise Music Festival. It would be a shame to cancel on such a great location and venue. I've cooked a lot of competitions where its 100+ degrees, on concrete with no shade in sight, and the cutest thing walking around is the clueless newbie's mangy dog he brought to his first competition begging for scaps.

After talking with Jim I don't think that will be the case in Boise. Well .....there might be a few dogs that have no business in a bikini walking around begging scraps. Big Grin
07-06-2011 02:13 PM
Cyclops Offline

(07-06-2011 02:13 PM)LoneStar Smoke Rangers Wrote:  Howdy! Just posted an introduction in your General section.

I'm in for the Boise Music Festival. It would be a shame to cancel on such a great location and venue. I've cooked a lot of competitions where its 100+ degrees, on concrete with no shade in sight, and the cutest thing walking around is the clueless newbie's mangy dog he brought to his first competition begging for scaps.

After talking with Jim I don't think that will be the case in Boise. Well .....there might be a few dogs that have no business in a bikini walking around begging scraps. Big Grin

Welcome LoneStar, Indeed the scenery is exceptional this time of year. The mountains are clear and the river is serene..............
Welcome LoneStar, Indeed the scenery is exceptional this time of year. The mountains are clear and the river is serene..............

Life Is A Team Sport
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2011 03:05 PM by Cyclops.)
07-06-2011 03:03 PM
cookinid Offline

(07-05-2011 10:19 PM)Cyclops Wrote:  I spoke with the sponsor this afternoon and we decided to address the lack of registrations for the BMF next Tuesday. I f there are not enough teams for a qualifier with a few to spare, we will pull the plug on the event. It makes no sense to spend $10,000.00 of the sponsor's money if there continues to be no interest in the event. I certainly understand the importance of Pioneer Days, but this is two years in a row with very little response from Our BBQ brothers in Utah.
Jim

Umm what would happen if we just had a cookoff of whatever size and grew this thing from the ground up? It seems that everybody only wants to cook or promote a "qualifier". Why not scour the corners of Idaho for every cook with an interest in competing and make an event that doesn't rely on visitors (no disrespect intended) to make it happen. Does every competition have to be a Big $$$ qualifier?

The little contest at the Idaho State Fair a few years ago could have grown some if everybody wasn't trying to get to the Jack, or on TV.

can you say "grass roots"?

Maybe the sponsor output, payout, and entry fees could come down depending on how big the event really gets this year. That way you might find more people wiling to try this game.

Uh Oh

I've done it now, let the flood gates open.....

Petey
07-06-2011 05:43 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

(07-06-2011 05:43 PM)cookinid Wrote:  
(07-05-2011 10:19 PM)Cyclops Wrote:  I spoke with the sponsor this afternoon and we decided to address the lack of registrations for the BMF next Tuesday. I f there are not enough teams for a qualifier with a few to spare, we will pull the plug on the event. It makes no sense to spend $10,000.00 of the sponsor's money if there continues to be no interest in the event. I certainly understand the importance of Pioneer Days, but this is two years in a row with very little response from Our BBQ brothers in Utah.
Jim

Umm what would happen if we just had a cookoff of whatever size and grew this thing from the ground up? It seems that everybody only wants to cook or promote a "qualifier". Why not scour the corners of Idaho for every cook with an interest in competing and make an event that doesn't rely on visitors (no disrespect intended) to make it happen. Does every competition have to be a Big $$$ qualifier?

The little contest at the Idaho State Fair a few years ago could have grown some if everybody wasn't trying to get to the Jack, or on TV.

can you say "grass roots"?

Maybe the sponsor output, payout, and entry fees could come down depending on how big the event really gets this year. That way you might find more people wiling to try this game.

Uh Oh

I've done it now, let the flood gates open.....

Petey

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
07-06-2011 05:49 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Interesting ideas there Petey, but surely "no one" would come out for just the pleasure of competing, and the love of BBQ... Oh hang on, we've done 3 of them in Utah this year so far, Cabela's, Freeway Mazda and Huntsville.

All of which have grown from last year, and all expect to grow larger next year... fingers crossed!Wink

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
07-06-2011 06:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Nothing wrong with "Grass Roots" . That's where you learn the most and polish your game for Game Day. Competing in a KCBS qualifier on GameDay Saturday morning where any given team can win a GC, Money, and a trip to the Big Show at the Jack or in KC gives a much different rush.

Idaho Falls or Pocatello would seem like a good spot for a KCBS qualifier if you could team it up with Rock The Falls or some kind of local event.

[Image: Texas-Ranger-Badge1.jpg]
07-06-2011 07:16 PM
Cyclops Offline

Every contest starts at the "grass roots" level. However, eventually some want to see how they stack up against the more experienced cooks. I don't see UBBQA, or any other sanctioning group saying "No thank you! to any team that wants to travel to Rockin Ribs or Fire, Water, & Ice! We just want this to be a local contest with local cooks. If it isn't a qualifier that's OK". If cooks just want to cook at backyard type events, that's fine. More power to them!
But the fact remains, TO BE THE BEST, YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE BEST! The "best" won't always come to you. Especially if you never make the effort to go to them!!!
Jim

Life Is A Team Sport
07-06-2011 10:38 PM
Pitmaster Offline

(07-06-2011 07:16 PM)LoneStar Smoke Rangers Wrote:  Nothing wrong with "Grass Roots" . That's where you learn the most and polish your game for Game Day. Competing in a KCBS qualifier on GameDay Saturday morning where any given team can win a GC, Money, and a trip to the Big Show at the Jack or in KC gives a much different rush.

Idaho Falls or Pocatello would seem like a good spot for a KCBS qualifier if you could team it up with Rock The Falls or some kind of local event.
I am still working on pulling off a comp the 3rd week of September in conjunction with HarvestFest. I'll let you know if it's going to happen.
Rob

Rob Harding
KCBS Certified Judge
http://www.pitmaster-bbq.com
rob@pitmaster-bbq.com
Smokin' on an Austin National Smoker, Brinkmann Professional COS, Man-Weber (27in) & Girl-Weber (22.5in),No Joker Smoker (Drum Smoker)
07-07-2011 02:43 AM
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

I am trying to get things in order to go up... But, what the hell is the idea around not letting to get outta there till after Midnight? We could be home before nightfall on Saturday night if that was the case. Don't get that!

Why not set up the teams by an exit?

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
07-08-2011 02:53 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

(07-08-2011 02:53 PM)Big Johnsons BBQ Wrote:  I am trying to get things in order to go up... But, what the hell is the idea around not letting to get outta there till after Midnight? We could be home before nightfall on Saturday night if that was the case. Don't get that!

Why not set up the teams by an exit?
Jim Monihan would have the complete details on the event. He is at an event in Colorado this wkend. But I believe it's do to the fact that there will be close to 70,000 people in the park and for there safety no vehicle movement allowed. I hear your concern and as an outa state team...

I'm sure Jim will chime in and have more to tell ya when he gets back.
Hope it all comes together for ya,would like to see ya in Boise

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
07-09-2011 12:46 PM
Cyclops Offline

We are locked into our space for the event. The main stage has been moved to the South east portion of the park. For us to get out at 5 or 6 PM would be like trying to leave during the half time of the super bowl. We are expecting 75-90,000 people that day and to try to move BBQ teams through that crowd would be imprudent and pretty much asking for trouble. The good news is that we will have excellent seats for the concert. Teams are free to leave after the crowd disperses Saturday evening, (11 'ish) But the formal move out will be Sunday morning at 6:00AM.
After numerous conversations with the sponsor, the event will definitely happen. It is easier to build on it than try to ressurect it. More teams are signing up daily and the sponsor is doing a real push on all five radio stations for "backyard" teams to step up and compete. In addition, they will give away 5 entries to "back-yarders" for competing at their first contest. I will be doing a few "on air" promotions during the next two weeks. This thing has taken real good shape over this last weekend and I believe we will have a "qualifier" as well. We need more teams so get off your "duffs" and come comete for $10,000.00 Grand!!!
Jim

Life Is A Team Sport
07-10-2011 10:06 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Who in there right mind would want to leave at half time of the Super Bowl anyway???Big GrinBig Grin
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
07-11-2011 07:18 AM
crashpilot
Unregistered

(07-10-2011 10:06 PM)Cyclops Wrote:  We are expecting 75-90,000 people that day

WOW!!
07-11-2011 07:56 AM
Quote this message in a reply

(07-10-2011 10:06 PM)Cyclops Wrote:  After numerous conversations with the sponsor, the event will definitely happen. It is easier to build on it than try to ressurect it. More teams are signing up daily and the sponsor is doing a real push on all five radio stations for "backyard" teams to step up and compete. In addition, they will give away 5 entries to "back-yarders" for competing at their first contest. I will be doing a few "on air" promotions during the next two weeks. This thing has taken real good shape over this last weekend and I believe we will have a "qualifier" as well. We need more teams so get off your "duffs" and come comete for $10,000.00 Grand!!!
Jim

Great news Jim!!! Looking forward to seeing you there.

[Image: Texas-Ranger-Badge1.jpg]
07-12-2011 12:43 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Jim, my check is in the mail as I type.... lets go teams, this will be a good one. A great venue, event and concert!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
07-13-2011 10:46 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Last year the crowd was expected at 35-40,000 folks. Turned into 65-70,000. This year the expectation is closer to 90-100,000 folks. It's hard to walk in that crowd, much less drive. We hope to pull the comp trailer out at midnight and then back on Sun. morn for the vending trailer. Sucks, but whattya do? Gonna be a great time with some great music!

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
07-17-2011 07:02 PM
tsorensen86 Offline

Teams you can expect to see at the event:
Andrew's Ribshack
PB & J
Rhythm 'n Que
Swine Stewarts
Mickey Ray's BBQ
R & R
Team Ida Q
2tz Beltbustin' BBQ
Spuds BBQ
Hoochie Que
LoneStar Smoke Ranger
Ella's
Appetites Barbeque
Home on the Range
Phil & Lou BBQ
Dr. Steadfast BBQ
Cajun & Fish

we will have 5 amatur teams competing as well
This is not a complete list of teams. I also have at least 4 other teams that had previously confirmed that let me know for various reasons that they are in a wait and see if they can make it position.

Getting excited, hope you are too!!!! Smile
Cool
07-19-2011 11:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Roll Call for Boise Music Festival Cyclops 10 2,033 07-20-2010 01:55 PM
Last Post: Big Hole BBQ
  Stagecoach Music Festival KCBS Championships $50,000 ThomEmery 1 879 12-29-2007 03:46 AM
Last Post: ThomEmery