Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BBQ 101 July 16th
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

BBQ 101 July 16th
Barbeque 101 July 16th 10:00 AM - 1:00PM

Utah BBQ Organization invites anyone with an interest in barbeque, to come to a class at the pavilion Jordan River Trailhead at 2320 S. 1000 W. on Saturday 16th of July.

The class will start at 10:00 sharp, please try and get there 15 minutes early.

The class will start with a little information about the Organization, it's objectives and aims!
Then it will cover knife control and sharpening.
Pork Spare Rib preparation and trimming.
Chicken preparation, cutting chicken, spatchcock chicken, halved chicken, chicken leg quarters.
Herb and spices, how to make rubs, (or sometimes how not to make them)!
We will cover different home smokers and grills, pellet, gas, charcoal, and wood fueled.
Woods for flavor, where to buy them, how to use them, pellets, chips, chunks, logs.

Please bring a note pad and pens.
There will be a charge of $25.00 to help pay for the meat, fuel, and rub making materials.

The class will have a limit of 30 people, so book early and pay for your wife or husband to take the class, then plan for some of those summer barbeques, but this time with a better chance of success! ;-)

We will email you once we have your payment of $25.00 per person, we would like the names in an RSVP so that we can prepare for your arrival!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
07-08-2011 11:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Phred Offline

RE: BBQ 101 July 16th
I attended the first class and highly recommend it. I learned a lot of information and I've been cooking for a while...
07-12-2011 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hulihuli Offline

Who is teaching the class?

Will they cover any aspects pertaining to competition BBQ?

Thanks,
Jeff

(07-08-2011 11:56 AM)SoEzzy Wrote:  Barbeque 101 July 16th 10:00 AM - 1:00PM

Utah BBQ Organization invites anyone with an interest in barbeque, to come to a class at the pavilion Jordan River Trailhead at 2320 S. 1000 W. on Saturday 16th of July.

The class will start at 10:00 sharp, please try and get there 15 minutes early.

The class will start with a little information about the Organization, it's objectives and aims!
Then it will cover knife control and sharpening.
Pork Spare Rib preparation and trimming.
Chicken preparation, cutting chicken, spatchcock chicken, halved chicken, chicken leg quarters.
Herb and spices, how to make rubs, (or sometimes how not to make them)!
We will cover different home smokers and grills, pellet, gas, charcoal, and wood fueled.
Woods for flavor, where to buy them, how to use them, pellets, chips, chunks, logs.

Please bring a note pad and pens.
There will be a charge of $25.00 to help pay for the meat, fuel, and rub making materials.

The class will have a limit of 30 people, so book early and pay for your wife or husband to take the class, then plan for some of those summer barbeques, but this time with a better chance of success! ;-)

We will email you once we have your payment of $25.00 per person, we would like the names in an RSVP so that we can prepare for your arrival!
07-13-2011 09:17 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

T will do the Knife sharpening and Chicken / Rib trimming.

Carla and Jesse will do rubs and sauces, this is more of backyard at the house than backyard competition class.

Still a good class to take, but not aimed at the competition circuit.

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
07-13-2011 09:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hulihuli Offline

Thank you for the info.

Jeff

(07-13-2011 09:57 PM)SoEzzy Wrote:  T will do the Knife sharpening and Chicken / Rib trimming.

Carla and Jesse will do rubs and sauces, this is more of backyard at the house than backyard competition class.

Still a good class to take, but not aimed at the competition circuit.
07-14-2011 10:44 PM
stewartr002 Offline

RE: BBQ 101 July 16th Another Winner!
Just wanted to commend the instructors, T, Karla, and Jesse, along with the other managing members of the Utah BBQ Organization, for another excellent class. I attended the first one and while I refreshed what I learned in the first class, there was even more content for this one. In addition the to the knives, chicken prep, spatch-cocked chicken, St. Louis style ribs, rubs, and sauces content, Jesse Johnson put on a clinic for "doctoring" up commercial sauces to get that flavor profile you are looking for. Also, a rep from Bullfrog Spas brought several versions of the Traeger pellet grills along with lots of rubs and sauces for sampling and purchase. I bought a Thermapen look-alike temp checker for less than $30, sweet! Of course, we all got to sample chicken, ribs, and some baked beans (by Chris) so nobody went home hungry. This was another excellent class. Can't wait for the next one. Many thanks to the UT BBQ Org. managing members for putting this on.
Randy

Randy Stewart
"Utah BBQ Org., Florida BBQ Asoc., & KCBS Certified Judge"
Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
Smoke On!
07-17-2011 08:08 PM
Frankenswine Offline
Managing Member

Hey Randy, I'm glad you enjoyed the class. I wish I could have been there to help but unfortunately I was stuck on top of a mountain in cedar city work. I did get to help a little and made the beans and sent them with Chris. Thanks Chris for picking them up and taking them out for me.

Doug
07-17-2011 08:26 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks Randy, we enjoy giving back and sharing so others with BBQ interest can grow. Great also to partner up with Dan and the folks from Bullfrog Spas, it's the beggining of a soon to be great relationship. Thanks to the managing member for helping make the class a success. Doug those beans were great.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
07-17-2011 09:06 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Dang again, I really wanted to be there but duty called. I just want to give you an idea of what I have if any of you need equipment. I set up a grill cooking line on 8 stoves: 7) 30 inch long grills and 2) 48 inch grills. We had 25 feet of 2 foot wide grills cooking. Mainly pancakes, hashbowns and link sausage.
Here's the kicker. I own all this stuff so I supplied stoves, grills, flippers, etc. The lady in charge of the food prep in this event did this:
She took four of those large foil pans like we get at Sam's, filled them full of link pork sausage, covered them with foil then set them in warming ovens set at 180 degrees overnight, about 14 hours! They were then grilled for a couple minutes and served. I didn't eat any.
When I warned her of the obvious danger this bacteria incubator was turning out her only reply was "We always do it this way"

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
07-17-2011 10:44 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Confused I don't think I would want any either! Hey, do you have a stove to go inside of a restaurant? I am now in need of a stove (oven and burner type), deep fryer, bread racks and other equipment if you have any you want to sell or know where to get them. I have been watching the ads.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2011 10:54 PM by Dutchovendude.)
07-17-2011 10:53 PM
Ruckuz Offline

Sorry about the late post.... Confused
It has been a busy couple of weeks.

I must say I loved the class and recommend anyone wanting to learn more about BBQ to attend the next one.
I learned quite a bit about knives, ribs, cutting chicken (my favorite part), as well as a ton of good info on rubs and sauces....

Thanks for the tips from everyone there.. I learned quite a lot.

The turnout was a little low, so hopefully all you out there who didn't make it can attend the next ones...

Looking forward to the BBQ 201/301 classes (if there are any planned)...
08-01-2011 05:42 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

There may well be 201 / 301 on the way in the fall this year, or in the spring next year.

Keep your eyes on this board and on KSL for more updates.

08-01-2011 05:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  BBQ 101 class BBQ Pitstop Pigout 1 587 09-29-2012 06:44 PM
Last Post: bbqpitstop
  Backyard BBQ 101 Roy SoEzzy 6 951 09-25-2012 04:41 PM
Last Post: Pigout
  Competition BBQ 101 Class Big Johnson's BBQ 15 2,148 08-15-2012 11:35 AM
Last Post: SoEzzy