Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question about my Char-griller
Kaziganthi Offline

Question about my Char-griller
Hi,

I have a Char-griller that I recently bought a side firebox for. I tried to use it last night, but I never got the temperature in the main box over about 180. I have always had trouble getting/maintaining a temperature over 300.

After some advice this weekend, I thought it was because I didn't have the baffle open enough, so there wasn't enough Oxygen, but last night the baffle on the firebox was fully open.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or how I can get the temperature up?
08-18-2011 06:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: Question about my Char-griller
Raise the charcoal grate a couple of inches.

Make sure the exhaust is fully open.

Make sure you can get enough air into the firebox, (this is where you control your fire and therefore your heat).

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20771 read this thread about modifications for pits!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
08-18-2011 07:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

I have a Char Griller and I made mods to it. Here is a good video to show mods to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wioPExhN7YM

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
08-18-2011 08:45 AM
Kaziganthi Offline

(08-18-2011 07:51 AM)SoEzzy Wrote:  Raise the charcoal grate a couple of inches.

Make sure the exhaust is fully open.

Make sure you can get enough air into the firebox, (this is where you control your fire and therefore your heat).

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20771 read this thread about modifications for pits!

So should the Charcoal be above the intake baffle, or is 3/4 of the way up good enough?

I had the Exhaust and the intake fully open.

Thanks for the advice. I hope to cook on it again tomorrow.
08-18-2011 07:23 PM
LH1440 Offline

Dont rely on the temp. guage in the hood of the smoking chamber. Mine was way way off. Buy a remote thermometer, its much more acurate. By some expanded metal and make a better grate for your charcoal/wood, the one you get will get bent all up in a few times of use. If you want buy a 18' x 20' x 1/4' steel plate and lay it in the smoking chamber with one end just over the opening for the firebox to help control the heat that comes from the firebox or what you put on that end will get burnt real fast.

When Pigs Fly BBQ Team
Kise SmokerSmile
And on the 8th day the Lord created BBQ!and he called it the BEST!
08-19-2011 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply