Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smoking Pellets
shirtski Offline

Smoking Pellets
Hi All,

I am Steve (Shirtski). Been pellet smoking for a little bit now. Is there anywhere in Northern Utah or surrounding areas to get 100% flavored wood like from "Cooking Pellets.com". I really like their pellets, but shipping pushes the prices way up. I am not a fan of traeger pellets, although I have traeger Lil Texas and happy with it.

I just recently used Green Mountain mix with good results, but still not 100% of the wood. I did note the green mountain seem to burn hotter.

Curious to know what other pellet smokers are using out there.
10-01-2011 08:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yonni Offline

RE: Smoking Pellets
Costco had 25lbs bags for 5 bucks like 2 weeks ago, hickory and mesquite, not sure if they still have them or not, I grabbed 4 bags myself. I have added them to my basket with lump charcoal for my UDS with great results. Oh this was the Costco 300 west and like 1850 south.
10-01-2011 09:08 PM
shirtski Offline

(10-01-2011 09:08 PM)Yonni Wrote:  Costco had 25lbs bags for 5 bucks like 2 weeks ago, hickory and mesquite, not sure if they still have them or not, I grabbed 4 bags myself. I have added them to my basket with lump charcoal for my UDS with great results. Oh this was the Costco 300 west and like 1850 south.

Yonni,

What brand did they have? 5 bucks for 25 pounds?

Shirtski

Traeger Lil' Tex Elite
10-01-2011 10:40 PM
stewartr002 Offline

You might try http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/ as they carry several brands. I've tried 3 or 4 different brands and so far, haven't seen a whole heck of a lot of difference between them (relative to smoke flavor for each kind, Hickory, Apple, Cherry, Oak, Garlic, etc.). I still don't get as much smoke flavor as on my stick burner (matter of taste for sure). However, I really enjoy the convenience/confidence of the Traeger for overnight/long cooks and for holding that temp. So, I combine the two by starting the biskets and butts on the Traeger while I sleep and then move them over to the stick burner when I get up in the early morning. That produces the smoke flavor I want and I still get to sleep.
Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread. If you haven't already, try the sportsmans warehouse. If they don't have it, they might be willing to order it in for you. If they need a minimum order of a pallet or so, post here. I'd be willing to go in for a part to get the cheaper price and maybe others will also.
Randy

Randy Stewart
"Utah BBQ Org., Florida BBQ Asoc., & KCBS Certified Judge"
Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
Smoke On!
10-02-2011 05:26 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Hi Steve, welcome. To your question on 100% pellets the answer is no. 100% Hickory pellets are a bit to specialized for the market here. We are lucky to get pellets at all. I have in the past had shipped in Fast Eddie pellets (both 100% and 1/3 Hickory 2/3 White Oak) BBQers Delight (1/3 Hickory 2/3 Red Oak) Cook'in Pellets (100%). Locally I've bought Traeger and Bear Mountain. Both using 1/3 Hickory 2/3 Alder. Costco had the best deal on pellets at 33 pound bags for $13.99 and Traeger 20 pound bags for $10.99. Currently Snider Bros. Meats on 6245 S. Highland Drive carries all the flavors of BBQers Delight.
Shipping pellets in can be expensive if you really want 100% Hickory but you might reconsider just how important that is. There are hundreds of teams out there racking up big wins using the standard 1/3 2/3 blends. I've cooked with Scottie Johnson who uses BBQers Delight exclusively. He is always in the top 5%. Same with Pellet Envy, again, running blends.
I don't want to come off as any pellets whizz but I can tell you that I've owned a lot of pellet poopers from an $8000 Traeger COM200 to a $200 Baby Traeger. My current machines are the Fast Eddie FEC100, a Louisiana Grill and a tailgate modified Baby Traeger. More has to do with your cooking method than your heat source.
My best advise would be to bookmark the pellet cooking websites and study how others are doing what they are doing.
Pelletheads.com, pelletsmoking.com
Good luck and let us know how your smoking is going.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
10-02-2011 08:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shirtski Offline

Thanks Larry. I say I know pellet smokers will not get the smoke flavor of stick burners, but I don't think I have totaly convinced myself of that yet. Actually I pretty happy with the results, everything turns out great, although I struggle with brisket.

I recently got some Green Mountain their mix, which is not bad and Kents (Sporting goods/gunshop/bike shop/grill shop in) in Ogden carrys them now. I haven't tried the BBQ Deleight, but that will be my next try, I have been seeing alot about them. Any truth that traeger pellets use oil to flavor them?

Thanks again Larry for replying.

Thanks Larry. I say I know pellet smokers will not get the smoke flavor of stick burners, but I don't think I have totaly convinced myself of that yet. Actually I pretty happy with the results, everything turns out great, although I struggle with brisket.

I recently got some Green Mountain their mix, which is not bad and Kents (Sporting goods/gunshop/bike shop/grill shop in) in Ogden carrys them now. I haven't tried the BBQ Deleight, but that will be my next try, I have been seeing alot about them. Any truth that traeger pellets use oil to flavor them?

Thanks again Larry for replying.

(10-02-2011 05:26 AM)stewartr002 Wrote:  You might try http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/ as they carry several brands. I've tried 3 or 4 different brands and so far, haven't seen a whole heck of a lot of difference between them (relative to smoke flavor for each kind, Hickory, Apple, Cherry, Oak, Garlic, etc.). I still don't get as much smoke flavor as on my stick burner (matter of taste for sure). However, I really enjoy the convenience/confidence of the Traeger for overnight/long cooks and for holding that temp. So, I combine the two by starting the biskets and butts on the Traeger while I sleep and then move them over to the stick burner when I get up in the early morning. That produces the smoke flavor I want and I still get to sleep.
Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread. If you haven't already, try the sportsmans warehouse. If they don't have it, they might be willing to order it in for you. If they need a minimum order of a pallet or so, post here. I'd be willing to go in for a part to get the cheaper price and maybe others will also.
Randy

Randy,

Interesting using the the 2. I have a stick burner as well, although have not used it since getting the Treager. Do you have a set time/temp you move it to the stick?

I too enjoy the convience of the pellets, but would like a bit more smoke flavor. In part I need to come to terms with the capabilities of the pellets and what they can and cannot do.

I will check out Sportsmanware house this week.

Thanks

Shirtski

Traeger Lil' Tex Elite
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2011 09:38 AM by shirtski.)
10-02-2011 09:31 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Q - "Any truth that traeger pellets use oil to flavor them?"
A - The only time we have heard this is from Traeger. While all pellet manufacuring requires a little oil to keep the dies lubed, food safe vegitable oil is used by all that I'm aware of. That is one of the things that keeps them "for food use". The heating pellet makers use any cheap oil so even if they say they use only hardwood (Alder, Oaks, etc) it doesn't mean you want to cook your food in their smoke. As for Traeger, after that little news came out, they got real quiet about it, so we just don't know how much if any is used.

Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
10-02-2011 01:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yonni Offline

(10-01-2011 10:40 PM)shirtski Wrote:  
(10-01-2011 09:08 PM)Yonni Wrote:  Costco had 25lbs bags for 5 bucks like 2 weeks ago, hickory and mesquite, not sure if they still have them or not, I grabbed 4 bags myself. I have added them to my basket with lump charcoal for my UDS with great results. Oh this was the Costco 300 west and like 1850 south.

Yonni,

What brand did they have? 5 bucks for 25 pounds?
Bear Mtn 33 lbs
10-02-2011 03:41 PM
Member closed account! Offline
Eating Enthusiast

I used Treager pellets for four years, tried all the different flavors to me the only distinct varieties were the hickory, and cherry. All the rest seemed to produce very similar flavor, ie oak and hickory were alike, apple and cherry alike, and the mesquite just didn't pack and punch at all. I realize taste is very subjective, but I found myself just using hickory. All the rest were just too much alike. We brought in some BBQR's Delight and there's a huge distinct difference between the different flavors. BBQR's Delight oak is 100% oak, I used it with my MAK grill when I grilled some steaks. Great for the flame zone reached a temp of 495. I'm sure there are many other great pellets out their, I'm curious about the 100% hickory as well. There is a company called Cooking Pellets that make 100% pellets. Has anyone used these?
10-02-2011 03:46 PM
shirtski Offline

(10-02-2011 03:46 PM)MEAT MAN Wrote:  I used Treager pellets for four years, tried all the different flavors to me the only distinct varieties were the hickory, and cherry. All the rest seemed to produce very similar flavor, ie oak and hickory were alike, apple and cherry alike, and the mesquite just didn't pack and punch at all. I realize taste is very subjective, but I found myself just using hickory. All the rest were just too much alike. We brought in some BBQR's Delight and there's a huge distinct difference between the different flavors. BBQR's Delight oak is 100% oak, I used it with my MAK grill when I grilled some steaks. Great for the flame zone reached a temp of 495. I'm sure there are many other great pellets out their, I'm curious about the 100% hickory as well. There is a company called Cooking Pellets that make 100% pellets. Has anyone used these?

I tried cooking pellets, I used their perfect mix which I really liked. They are based out of Wisconsin, not to far outside Chicago. Shipping was more than the pellets, not cost effective, unless buying a pallet. I am looking forward to trying BBQr Delight.

Shirtski

Traeger Lil' Tex Elite
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2011 07:04 PM by shirtski.)
10-02-2011 07:04 PM
stewartr002 Offline

Quote:Randy,

Interesting using the the 2. I have a stick burner as well, although have not used it since getting the Treager. Do you have a set time/temp you move it to the stick?

I too enjoy the convience of the pellets, but would like a bit more smoke flavor. In part I need to come to terms with the capabilities of the pellets and what they can and cannot do.

I will check out Sportsmanware house this week.

Thanks
I usually put them on at 2300 and get up at 0300 to start the Lang. It comes to temp around 0345 - 0400 and that's when I make the transfer. I use the smoke setting on the Traeger and make sure the P setting is high enough to get temp around 200 (on the digital gauge there are 10 different settings to control how often the auger runs to deliver pellets, higher you go the lower the temp depending on ambient temperature). If I remember right, internal temps run around 130-140 at time of transfer. Hope that helps.
Randy

Randy Stewart
"Utah BBQ Org., Florida BBQ Asoc., & KCBS Certified Judge"
Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
Smoke On!
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2011 09:27 PM by stewartr002.)
10-02-2011 09:26 PM
Yonni Offline

http://www.barbecuewood.com/-strse-Hicko...gories.bok

these guys have 100% hickory and any other wood pellets, free shipping for the 20lbs bags
10-04-2011 09:18 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

OK, I understand that some business people think that there is no limit on knocking your competition but I'm getting tired of new start up pellet companies not standing on their own merits. To start with is the word "filler". They make it sound like there is no good coming from the "filler" and it's just added by the maker to be cheap. The most common hardwood added to the blend is Alder, White Oak and Red Oak. The truth is these woods stand on their own and are very good on all meats. Alder is used by many Northwest smokers with all meats. I've eaten at some that are very good. Same with oak, in fact I prefer straight oak for brisket.
Secondly, 100% Hickory can at times be very hard to control temps do to the fact that it tends to burn hot with temperature spikes, something your don't want in smoking. It causes wild up/down temp swings.
One company accuses their competition uses dirt for filler. BULL! Reminds me of an Amway line that all water softeners other than theirs causes cancer. Any company that runs the others down to get business should be avoided.

Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
10-04-2011 11:31 AM
StephenWilson Offline

Hello. I just got back from COSTCO at 5400 South State. Traeger was just setting up a display. I talked to Chris their rep. and he said they would be there for 14 days. He had three smoker models as well as covers for them. He also had two pallets of PELLETS. They were all Mesquite, and they were $15.00 each. I snaged some along with some chicken and ribs. I will repeat this message with a smoke signalWinkWink.
Steve
10-10-2011 11:33 AM
shirtski Offline

I ordered 40 pounds of BBQ Delight on line from Big Poppas (Free Shipping). $40.00 for a 40# bag of hickory. I Like them, good smoke and flavor.

I did a brisket over the weekend, used a rub, left it on the smoke setting untilt the stall, and turned it one notch to 180. Just short of 12 hours cooking to 170 degrees. Turned out great. Tender, allbeit not as tender as probally taking it to 190-195, but that is just too well done for me for slicing.

I did take some pictures, but it says the files are too large for uploading.

Shirtski

Traeger Lil' Tex Elite
10-10-2011 12:06 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Get yourself either Irfanview or Gimp they are photo manipulation tools and allow you to reduce the picture size by compressing them.

Both of them are freebies!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
10-10-2011 12:09 PM
Flexo Offline

We have all the flavors of pellets at our store. Bullfrog Spas and BBQ Pro Shop. 1690 North state street Orem. We have Traeger accessories. Give me a call for your Traeger needs.
Dan Kerby

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
10-10-2011 06:44 PM
Flexo Offline

We have all the flavors of pellets at our store. Bullfrog Spas and BBQ Pro Shop. 1690 North state street Orem. We have Traeger accessories. Give me a call for your Traeger needs.
Dan Kerby

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
10-10-2011 06:44 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

I got a message from BBQwood.com that they had a pellet sale going on. I guess they have them that are just wood. It was a week or two ago and don't use pellets so didn't give it to much thought but you might try there.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
10-13-2011 04:32 PM
jwells-1 Offline

I see that Snider Brothers charges $20.00 for a 20lb bag of pellets and cookinpellets charges $22.00 for a 40lb bag of their Premium pellets. After shipping that’s close to the same price.
Is there anyone that would like to go in on a bulk order and split it??? I believe 600lbs in the minimum order for bulk prices. We could split 2,3 or 4 ways depending on how many what to go in on it.
Who would be willing to split and receive the order??

Jim
04-02-2014 11:10 AM
GOATTER Offline
Aspiring BBQ Pitmaster

Have you called BBQ Pitstop
865 West State Road
Lehi, UT 84043
(801) 341-7171
http://bbqpitstop.com/
04-02-2014 12:21 PM
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

And BBQ Pit Stop is a big supporter of this site, Has a Comp at his location and cooks in comps too...

I like to see Folks keep their dollars spent local.

BBQ Delight is around $15 bucks for a 40lb bag at BBQ Pit Stop - ask for Steve Johnson.

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
04-02-2014 02:25 PM
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

Some one beat me to the punch but I was going to say Check out

BBQ PITSTOP
865 W State St,
Lehi, UT 84043
(801) 341-7171
Ask For Steve

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
Lucy Lang 60" DLX Long Neck 40" Char Grill
KCBS Certified Judge
KCBS Certified Table Captain
UTAH BBQ Org Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
"Powered by Maxwell" Angel
04-02-2014 04:28 PM
Gary Nelson Offline

The BBQ Delight at the BBQ Pit Stop are 20lb bags.

Gary
KCBS Certified Judge
UTBBQ Certified Judge
04-02-2014 05:18 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Wow. Sure brought this old thread out of the 2011 dust bin.
Anyway, I used to buy BBQers Delight from Candy Sue by the pallet back before Pitstop. She states that it is 1/3 Hickory, etc and 2/3 Oak.
Last year I answered an ad on KSL for 1/3 bulk load of BBQPELLETS.COM perfect mix. I have ordered 100% from them in the past and these compare in flavor very well. I'm still using my bulk load and when it's gone I'll go see Steve for more BBQDelight. Scotty Johnson won GC at Jack with them so they must be doing something right.

Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
04-02-2014 09:48 PM