Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
The Best Prime Rib
tipsforBBQ Offline

The Best Prime Rib
I just posted my Prime Rib Recipe on TipsforBBQ that a few of you guys have asked me about. This is my favorite way to do a standing rib roast.

[Image: FinishedPrimeRib.jpg]

This is dry brined overnight with a few herbs, given a great wet rub and reverse-seared. FANTASTIC!!

Dry Brining:
[Image: DryBriningPrimeRib.jpg]

Smoked and then Seared:
[Image: ReverseSear.jpg]

Love to hear any feedback on this or any of my BBQ Recipes. Merry Christmas Utah BBQr's.

Rusty from Tips for BBQ
Check out my BBQ Blog with favorites like my Game Day Ribs and the Ultimate Stuffed Hamburger.
12-11-2011 10:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bwinther Offline
Managing Member

RE: The Best Prime Rib
Very nice. I have always wanted to try a prime rib but have been afraid to "ruin" a great peice of meat. I may have to give this a try real soon. Thanks for posting.

Brian

Brian

HQO
Gotta have it
2013 Utah's Representative to the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational BBQ Competition
KCBS Certified Judge
Managing Member
12-12-2011 07:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T Offline
Posting Freak

Rusty, man that looks gooooood!! I will really have to try one of those bad boys in the near future. I think the last cook on one of those was on the Auspit. I started deep frying mine about 12 years ago which I really love, but your pictures got me going. I really like your sight bro, Happy Holidays to you, as well, and thanks for posting!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
12-12-2011 06:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tipsforBBQ Offline

Thanks for the kind words guys. You're all welcome to join the photo contest on Facebook too. It's not a trophy, but still fun.

FB Photo Contest Link
@T

I can honestly say I've never thought of frying one. I'm intrigued.

Rusty from Tips for BBQ
Check out my BBQ Blog with favorites like my Game Day Ribs and the Ultimate Stuffed Hamburger.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 09:45 PM by tipsforBBQ.)
12-12-2011 09:43 PM
grillfoot Offline

Just tried this recipe for the first time and I burned it! Never one to give up though, I am still quite the novice at this whole outdoor cooking thing. I may try the cast iron griddle next time around...
02-16-2012 12:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tipsforBBQ Offline

(02-16-2012 12:50 PM)grillfoot Wrote:  Just tried this recipe for the first time and I burned it!

That's a shame! Don't give up though. Try w/ some 1.5-2" thick steaks (ribeyes, etc) and follow the same steps for cooking. Just don't season with anything. Instead just pull them out 1 hour before you're ready to cook and liberally salt them. This will bring moisture to the surface and dissolve the salt and suck it back in. This is similar to the dry brine used on the prime rib except with the smaller steak-cut the process happens quicker.

Cheers!

Rusty from Tips for BBQ
03-06-2012 12:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques Pegleg 7 814 12-16-2013 07:44 PM
Last Post: Larry Jacobs
  Perfect Prime Rib (must read) Guest 14 3,529 07-24-2011 09:07 AM
Last Post: Phred
  Advice on a Holiday Prime Rib Crazy Cajun 10 3,521 10-22-2007 11:52 AM
Last Post: PackerBacker