Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
?s about Pats BBQ
skullydc Offline

?s about Pats BBQ
I don't know how to start this topic other than to come out and say it.
My wife and I ate at Pat's BBq last night as we have in the past, really enjoy the pulled pork and the sides. My wife ordered the 2 meat plate of ribs and brisket. the brisket was good but she thought she tasted liquid smoke in the ribs.... I tasted them and there was a chemical taste to them for sure. I didn't want to even ask the manager if they use it...I see the smokers. Has anyone else had this experience??
01-15-2012 03:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shirtski Offline

RE: ?s about Pats BBQ
(01-15-2012 03:29 PM)skullydc Wrote:  I don't know how to start this topic other than to come out and say it.
My wife and I ate at Pat's BBq last night as we have in the past, really enjoy the pulled pork and the sides. My wife ordered the 2 meat plate of ribs and brisket. the brisket was good but she thought she tasted liquid smoke in the ribs.... I tasted them and there was a chemical taste to them for sure. I didn't want to even ask the manager if they use it...I see the smokers. Has anyone else had this experience??

Shirtski

Traeger Lil' Tex Elite
01-15-2012 06:32 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I'm not saying you didn't taste something, you may very well have. What I'm saying is remember the rummer that McDonalds was using Red Worms in their hamburger? A quick check of the Red Worm market showed that Red Worms sold for $5.50 a pound while hamburger at that time costed $1.25.
What I'm saying is liquid Smoke costs a lot of money and my experience with Pat's is they don't care all that much how their food tastes that they would go through that bother or expense.
Pat's has a big selection of cookers but if they are not swamped they use the big gas fired wood burner Southern Pride.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
01-15-2012 07:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

What you have experienced is a creosote taste. It comes from the wood used. I know that if you build a fire in your smoker and it gets too hot, a lot of inexperienced users will try and shut down the exhaust vent to slow down the heat. This will cause a black creosote laden smoke in your cooker. This is also caused if you throw in a cold log. It takes a little while for the log to come up to temperature and start burning correctly. The reason that the meat tastes like Liquid Smoke is that this is the same process that is used to make liquid smoke. Yes, it tastes bad, but there is nothing wrong with the meat.
We don't live in a perfect BBQ world and sometimes smoke happens, especially when that is what we are trying to make. Being a restaurant owner, I would like to know if my meats had a bad taste. I would like my customers to let me know that they were having a bad experience. I would suggest letting them know NICELY that there was an offending taste, so that they could take steps to correct the problem.
Just my opinions......Smoke on!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
01-15-2012 10:11 PM
LH1440 Offline

Pat has several friends on here. Enough said.

When Pigs Fly BBQ Team
Kise SmokerSmile
And on the 8th day the Lord created BBQ!and he called it the BEST!
01-15-2012 10:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

My post was not meant to degrade anyone. I was explaining why the meat has a chemical taste.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
01-15-2012 10:38 PM
LH1440 Offline

Sorry Mike, that was not directed at you. I brought up a personal opinion a few years back about Pat's, and was blasted.

When Pigs Fly BBQ Team
Kise SmokerSmile
And on the 8th day the Lord created BBQ!and he called it the BEST!
01-15-2012 10:57 PM
Pitmaster Offline

Mike,
As I have posted on Facebook and what I have told all my friends- your food was great! I enjoyed the pork and my son porter loved the brisket. I'm always telling people to come visit you. I hope your business has picked up since we were there.

Rob Harding
KCBS Certified Judge
http://www.pitmaster-bbq.com
rob@pitmaster-bbq.com
Smokin' on an Austin National Smoker, Brinkmann Professional COS, Man-Weber (27in) & Girl-Weber (22.5in),No Joker Smoker (Drum Smoker)
01-16-2012 10:22 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Thanks again for the nice words Rob. Business is picking up. Keeping my fingers crossed!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
01-18-2012 09:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Happy St Pats! SoEzzy 5 777 03-18-2010 11:49 AM
Last Post: Phred
  Packers vs. Pats PackerBacker 7 1,167 11-21-2006 06:52 PM