Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Homemade Vanilla
tipsforBBQ Offline

Homemade Vanilla
It's kind of a deviation from BBQ, but I love to cook so I thought I'd share since you guys do too. Here's a cheap way of how to make vanilla extract at home:

* Buy some B-Grade or "Extract" Grade vanilla beans. These are 100 times cheaper than the A-Grade and are better suited for making vanilla due to their lower water content (more flavor, less extraneous moisture). I posted a few reputable ones on the site below that have an amazon store.

* Split the beans and put 12 of them in 1 - 750ml of quality vodka. You can scrape the pulp or "caviar" from the insides to help accelerate the process.

* Sit in a cool, dark place for 3 months. It takes up to 6 for it to extract all of the flavor, but after 3 it's strong enough to use. Shake the bottles every couple of days for the first cupla weeks and then ever week or so thereafter. After 2 months just shake them whenever you can be bothered.

Here's a quick site I put up called MakingVanilla.com that gives some tips on what to use and the reputable places to buy vanilla beans cheap.

Rusty from Tips for BBQ
Check out my BBQ Blog with favorites like my Game Day Ribs and the Ultimate Stuffed Hamburger.
03-06-2012 12:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tipsforBBQ Offline

RE: Homemade Vanilla
We gave out over 30 4oz bottles and several large 16oz bottles of our homemade vanilla around Christmas time. It was fantastic! It's about time to start aging our new batch for Christmas 2013. I'll be making some updates and adding some new recipes to http://makingvanilla.com/ in the near future as well!

Rusty from Tips for BBQ
Check out my BBQ Blog with favorites like my Game Day Ribs and the Ultimate Stuffed Hamburger.
04-16-2013 11:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bwinther Offline
Managing Member

Great info. I have always been interested in doing this but have never gotten around to it. It doesn't seem as labor intensive as I thought so will give this a try. Thanks for the info.

Brian

Brian

HQO
Gotta have it
2013 Utah's Representative to the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational BBQ Competition
KCBS Certified Judge
Managing Member
04-17-2013 07:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Desert Magnolia Offline

I find a lot of good deals on the beans on Amazon in bags. Being from that part of the South I love to put them into bourbon. Vodka will take on the most flavor however.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
04-17-2013 09:26 AM
bud-wie-ser Offline

We have also made vanilla this way.

I have also heard of using rum instead of vodka.

Bud
Sugaz and Spice BBQ
----------------------------------------------
Custom Drum Smoker
UDS
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
04-17-2013 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Homemade Vanilla extract no1plumber 6 1,371 02-04-2009 12:56 PM
Last Post: Gene