Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Building a smoker
in2dfire Offline
Banned

RE: Building a smoker
I wont argue with you any more. . . . But if you are going to help with questions then at least know the answer. . . Intakes are adjustable you can open them or close them. . . If you can't open them far enough to give what the exhaust needs to pull then you have to open the door a bit to compensate. Why go through the bother just make the intakes bigger. . Whether you believe it or not air in this situation air acts differently when its hot you don't need as much intake. . . If its cold you need more. That's why some pits will go stagnant and wont heat up the way you want. Remember air isn't forced through the intake your exhaust pulls it through. . That's why its important to have the exhaust placement and diameter and height correct or you. will not have good flow. .
04-24-2012 01:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LH1440 Offline

Air intakes are adjustable? who would have ever guessed! Thanks for clearing that up for us....lol

When Pigs Fly BBQ Team
Kise SmokerSmile
And on the 8th day the Lord created BBQ!and he called it the BEST!
04-25-2012 01:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
in2dfire Offline
Banned

(04-25-2012 01:12 AM)LH1440 Wrote:  Air intakes are adjustable? who would have ever guessed! Thanks for clearing that up for us....lol
I guess you finally understand that if they are adjustable then they can't be to large. . But hey build a pit with a 10" exhaust and a 10" intake if that's what you believe. .
04-25-2012 01:23 AM
Dale Wilson Offline

Oh no, another question.

The racks to put the meat on. Do they have to be cast or stainless steel.
Is there any problem with getting expanded metal from Wasatch Steel, cleaning it, cooking it with vegetable oil and using that?

If that is a problem, where can I get pieces to make my racks, for a decent price.

I will be making three shelves, 7"x6'. I will also be putting them on a rotisserie to keep all meats in more constant temps.

Sams Club comp was a blast. Good to see all.
05-02-2012 09:43 PM
in2dfire Offline
Banned

(05-02-2012 09:43 PM)Dale Wilson Wrote:  Oh no, another question.

The racks to put the meat on. Do they have to be cast or stainless steel.
Is there any problem with getting expanded metal from Wasatch Steel, cleaning it, cooking it with vegetable oil and using that?

If that is a problem, where can I get pieces to make my racks, for a decent price.

I will be making three shelves, 7"x6'. I will also be putting them on a rotisserie to keep all meats in more constant temps.

Sams Club comp was a blast. Good to see all.

Expanded metal is just fine. You will want to clean it really well and then season the grate before cooking on it.
05-02-2012 10:01 PM
Dale Wilson Offline

Update...almost ready to smoke.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-05-2012 02:24 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Dale, what ratio motor are you using, and is that three racks or four. Movin right along. Just wondering?

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
05-05-2012 03:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pigout Offline

Wow man that's pretty crazy! Looking good, it will be interesting to see how she cooks...Cool

"BBQ so good it's time to Pigout"
05-05-2012 05:59 PM
Dale Wilson Offline

(05-05-2012 03:07 PM)T Wrote:  Dale, what ratio motor are you using, and is that three racks or four. Movin right along. Just wondering?

T,

I haven't got the motor yet. I do know it just needs to be slow, or geared down. Any ideas on where to look for a motor?
It has only three racks 7 inches by 6 feet. Should be enough room to do about 15 racks of St. Louis cut spares.

I just ate and am starting to crave a rack with sauce.

Later,
Dale
05-05-2012 08:28 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Dale, I know that Granger on 9th West has motors. I bought one there for my pig roaster years ago. Hope this helps?

keep it low-n-slow " T "

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
05-06-2012 11:32 PM
imfree2q Offline

Looking good!

Mel Jensen
JensenPit custom BBQ smokers
801-589-7423
Plain City, Utah
jensenpits@gmail.com
Facebook.com/JensenPit

"Dont over think it or you'll ruin it"
05-07-2012 01:53 AM
elkski Offline

Interesting.

Cant wait to see the final product.
I do have a large concern on if the rotary racks will tip over when you add 50# of meat to them? If only low CG ribs it should be ok but if you put 5 7# butts on a rack with a CG of 1.5" above the grate???? How high above the grate is that pivot hole?? WHat type of contact is there. IE how much friction? I would think the CG of the rack with meat could be to close to your bolt pivot point???
One more thing... wouldn't it have been really cool if you did a horizontal conveyor belt. Meaning like 20 small trays that move across the top from left to right and then across the bottom right to left.. then each shelf would see the exact same temps the whole cook. Maybe this has been done before if not no one can patent it now that I posted this here.
one more thing... I wonder how those struts are going to do in the heat???
and lastly, if you open that door you will lose all your heat.. perhaps a small sample sneaking door on the top door?

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2012 09:49 AM by elkski.)
05-07-2012 09:40 AM
Dale Wilson Offline

(05-07-2012 09:40 AM)elkski Wrote:  Interesting.

Cant wait to see the final product.
I do have a large concern on if the rotary racks will tip over when you add 50# of meat to them? If only low CG ribs it should be ok but if you put 5 7# butts on a rack with a CG of 1.5" above the grate???? How high above the grate is that pivot hole?? WHat type of contact is there. IE how much friction? I would think the CG of the rack with meat could be to close to your bolt pivot point???
One more thing... wouldn't it have been really cool if you did a horizontal conveyor belt. Meaning like 20 small trays that move across the top from left to right and then across the bottom right to left.. then each shelf would see the exact same temps the whole cook. Maybe this has been done before if not no one can patent it now that I posted this here.
one more thing... I wonder how those struts are going to do in the heat???
and lastly, if you open that door you will lose all your heat.. perhaps a small sample sneaking door on the top door?

We'll have to see how "balanced" I need to keep the food to prevent tippage. The hangar is only 3/4" above the rack with a bit of angle iron hanging to give weight. I think it will work out fine.

I thought heavily about what type of racks to put in there. If one way doesn't work, there's always the option to try something different.

The struts should be ok. We'll see.

Lastly, the top door has a small window equal size to the air intake door, so I will be able to see a bit of the interior.

I'm still wet behind the ears as far as smoking meats is concerned. I've only been serious (addicted) for just over two years. I'm sure I'll come across many challenges and have to make changes. The fun in all of this is learning something new and stretching that grey matter in my head. Not to mention that the end result is usually a great rack of ribs.

Thanks for all the input. I hope to have it up and running at the Tooele competition next month.
05-09-2012 07:40 PM
Dale Wilson Offline

Here it is...finished to the point of being functional. Ready for the Tooele competition this coming Sat.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-02-2012 12:53 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

How did the Turkey do Dale?

Pit looks good in the matte black!

It also looks like your furry friend has had some nummies out of it, and is willing to wait for more! Wink

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
06-02-2012 03:20 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Congrats Dale, I know the feeling you must have completing your dream design. Good luck this coming competition, and most of all have fun.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
06-03-2012 08:51 AM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Looks like it turned out well. Good Job!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
06-03-2012 09:39 AM
Dale Wilson Offline

Thanks all,

I did a rib smoke Friday night. Turned out pretty darn tasty. Cisco (our happy pooch) had his share of bones to chew on. I was surprised that it was easy to maintain 220. That was the thing I worried about the most.
06-03-2012 10:38 AM
imfree2q Offline

Good job!!

Mel Jensen
JensenPit custom BBQ smokers
801-589-7423
Plain City, Utah
jensenpits@gmail.com
Facebook.com/JensenPit

"Dont over think it or you'll ruin it"
06-04-2012 02:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  building a smoker Razcals Ribs 14 3,169 10-05-2011 06:12 PM
Last Post: Razcals Ribs
  building a smoker out of used food drum. drapersmoke 6 1,094 02-06-2010 09:59 PM
Last Post: sampson
  Building a Reverse Flow "Propane Tank Smoker" rwillden 10 5,227 01-18-2010 11:11 PM
Last Post: rwillden