Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Prep of Wood
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

Prep of Wood
WHAT!!?? Who is this stranger??!! I know, I know ... it has been TOO LONG since I last posted on this forum. However, I still read the post daily and continue to learn a TON!!

I have a question about preparing wood for smoking. As you may recall, I use a drum smoker than I made. Last summer, my neighbor game me some apple branches. I let them sit over the summer and they are dry and ready for smoking this summer.

Do I have to do anything special to prep the wood for smoking use? Do I have to remove the bark? What to do ...

Your expertise is, as always, greatly appreciated!!
04-01-2012 11:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Prep of Wood
WOW! We all thought you crashed you bike or something!! ;-).
Leave the bark on. Some guys pre heat their split logs or even chunks before the go on the fire
Hope this help
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
04-01-2012 12:11 PM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

(04-01-2012 12:11 PM)PackerBacker Wrote:  WOW! We all thought you crashed you bike or something!! ;-).
Leave the bark on. Some guys pre heat their split logs or even chunks before the go on the fire
Hope this help
Dave

Well, the biking continues ... as does the BBQ.

Thanks for the advice.
04-01-2012 02:15 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Remove the apples. That's it.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
04-01-2012 03:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
elkski Offline

I have found that a sawzall and a wood cutting blade... like a tree pruning saw blade is great for cutting up you wood to size. And you do want a uniform size IMHO. I like mine like 2"x2" or so. and dont use it as your primary wood... apple is not real que! Use hickory and chase it with apple... or mesquite and chase it with apple.

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
05-11-2012 06:40 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

(05-11-2012 06:40 AM)elkski Wrote:  and dont use it as your primary wood... apple is not real que! Use hickory and chase it with apple... or mesquite and chase it with apple.

Apple is not real Que? Perhaps someone should have a word with Apple City BBQ, that Mike Mills dude probably has never heard about that!

Quote:In the early 1990’s, Mike was co-captain of the Apple City Barbecue Team, one of the most celebrated teams ever on the circuit. Many honors and titles have been bestowed to Mike over the years including:
Four-time World Champion and three-time Grand World Champion at Memphis in May, otherwise known as the Super Bowl of Swine.
1992 Grand Champion of the Jack Daniel’s World Invitational Barbecue Cooking Contest
Mike’s Book, Peace, Love and Barbecue, was nominated for a 2006 James Beard Foundation Award and received the 2006 National Barbecue Association Award of Excellence.
In October, 2008 Mike was honored with the Pioneer of Barbecue award at the Jack Daniel’s World Invitational Barbecue Cooking Contest.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
05-11-2012 08:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

No apple wood in real BBQ??? How apple ing.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
05-11-2012 08:40 AM
elkski Offline

hehe... just because a guys name has apple in it does that mean he only uses apple wood.? Never know.
What about the folks who talk about about mesquite!!! the Wimps

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
05-11-2012 10:05 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Well the man claims to cook over apple wood, and it was part of the secret of his success... so he said in "Peace, Love & BBQ"! Wink

As to those that talk about Mesquite... for the city and it's BBQ competition, they say it's really hot on the tarmac, that September sun can really throw you off your game if you are not prepared for it. For the wood, I think you really need to know what you are doing to cook with it, as as oily wood it is very easy to get wrong and ruin the meat, it has a strong flavor that can overpower other tastes if not used well... I've eaten mesquite smoked things couple of times and struggled to get past the second bite. Confused

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
05-11-2012 11:15 AM
Farrier Offline

If the bark falls off when I pick it up, I dont worry about it, if it doesnt fall off I dont worry about that either!
When putting wood onto a fire, put the split side down so it burns quicker and cleaner, the bark side can smolder some and it tastes funky.
If cutting the branches into chunks, you could do well with them between 1 and 1 1/2 inches thick and up to 3 or 4 inches across the puck, bury two or three in the charcoal if you prepare your basket with the mininon method, and add two or three more on top of the lit bricks. Catch the temperature as it goes up then you dont have to fight it to get it back down again.
05-16-2012 08:41 PM